Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM

21 posts, read 18,096 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I read many threads about public, magnet and charter schools in the valley. My kid will be a 6th grader next year. We will move to LV in summer 2019. Hubby’s place of work will be in Spring Valley. Place of residence is still TBD as of now as we still trying to figure out which best Middle School will best work for us.

Would like to rent in a safe area with good school. Budget $1100-$1300 for 2 Bdr apartment or a small house.

As of now, we are rooting towards these middle schools, and I have some questions please:

- Coral Academy of Science. Is it very difficult to get pulled up in the lottery? Are there slim chances for a 6th grader (I do not know the number of seats open for lottery for 6th grade)? – what campus would you recommend for 6th grade? Windmill, Centennial, Nellisor Eastgate? …. Since 7th Grade and up will be in Sandy Ridge. … what other advice, review, remark do you have about this school?

- Bob Miller / Webb : I am wondering if these Public Middle schools have any before/aftercare programs, so the kids can stay in the school till parents can come pick them up (especially for working parents.)

- Mannion: I do not have much info about this school. Any reviews will be highly appreciated.

- Sig Rogich: Summerlin are is good, but I guess we will be tight for the rent budget. Also, I am not sure about the quality of the public high school afterwards.

- Magnet program Middle School: My kid is an A-B student. So, I guess these programs work best mostly for the very advanced kids. Please correct me if I’m wrong

- Other options ??

Looking to hear your advice, reviews, suggestions, etc ….

Many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:11 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
I would suggest a stand alone magnet school as opposed to a magnet school embedded in another school. They tend to be better, IMO.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
Del Webb, Coronado.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
Sig Rogich and Palo Verde/ West Tech if you can afford it.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Del Webb, Coronado.
Thank you for your answer.

Please tell me more about Del Webb.

Also, do you know if Del Webb has any aftercare, or after school programs where kids can stay in campus till parents can pick them up?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I would suggest a stand alone magnet school as opposed to a magnet school embedded in another school. They tend to be better, IMO.

Any suggestions of "a stand alone magnet school" ?
Thanks for your reply

Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
Sig Rogich and Palo Verde/ West Tech if you can afford it.
Please share more thoughts about Sig Rogich.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
There's nothing wrong with Palo. Their average ACT (20.5) is #2 for public high schools only behind Coronado (21.3). Green Valley is a distant third (18.5).

Palo actually scores better than half the CTAs which is impressive since they lose a significant portion of their accelerated students to West Tech.

I would stay away from Coral. Even with their filtered out students their test scores put them outside the top 10 in comparison to other CCSD middle schools.

The issue with Mannion is that you get Foothill zoning for high school, and their average ACT is 3 points worse than Coronado.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayat-zweena View Post
Any suggestions of "a stand alone magnet school" ?
Thanks for your reply
Well, I looked for a middle school, and there are no stand alone ones. (There are stand alone high schools)

I would then look for magnet programs in the better areas of town.

https://magnet.ccsd.net/site79.php

Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Well, I looked for a middle school, and there are no stand alone ones. (There are stand alone high schools)

I would then look for magnet programs in the better areas of town.

https://magnet.ccsd.net/site79.php
Is not Hyde Park a standalone magnet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas