Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:28 AM

74 posts, read 58,634 times

Advertisements

So as I shared in a prior thread I’m in for the 2826 one story model at Terraces of KB in Inspirada. I Will meet with their design studio people to go through upgrades and options..

I know it’s subjective due to personal taste etc, but what are some must have upgrades, and what are some not needed upgrades?

They seem to offer mostly whirlpool appliances, are they good and reputable? I’m debating if I should just buy my fridge , washer and dryer from Costco with better selection.

Thanks for your help everyone , happy New Years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 07:06 AM

555 posts, read 775,222 times
I would prioritize any upgrades that would normally require ripping up the walls post-construction ------- i.e ceiling fan ports, additional coach lights outside, CAT5 ports in every room, extra can lights, elevated power receptacles in rooms with TV for wall mounting , outdoor gas port for grilling bbq, coaxial connections in every room for tv, and outdoor wiring for landscape lighting. lastly, I would consider upgraded baseboards and flooring if provided at a reasonable price. I would not waste my upgrade incentives or pay the builder for upgraded appliances.... just take the builder grade and upgrade on your own if need be.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:36 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
I would prioritize any upgrades that would normally require ripping up the walls post-construction ------- i.e ceiling fan ports, additional coach lights outside, CAT5 ports in every room, extra can lights, elevated power receptacles in rooms with TV for wall mounting , outdoor gas port for grilling bbq, coaxial connections in every room for tv, and outdoor wiring for landscape lighting. lastly, I would consider upgraded baseboards and flooring if provided at a reasonable price. I would not waste my upgrade incentives or pay the builder for upgraded appliances.... just take the builder grade and upgrade on your own if need be.
Agree. Anything inside the walls-with a few exceptions. There is plenty of tech that no longer requires wiring, like alarm systems and surround sound, so don't bother paying for that wiring. I could not believe how much my builder was charging to "pre-wire" for an alarm and surround--I have both, and the only exposed wire is the power cable to the outlet.

I paid for extra outlet in garage, a few extra lighting drops, a gas line to BBQ stub, water softener loop. I did my own crown moulding, fans, pendants, garage door opener, water softener, plantation shutters, outside door locksets and deadbolts. Fortunately, during the time I was buying, our builder had a few incentives, including upgraded kitchen stuff, a 20% discount on 50% overpriced upgraded flooring, and $15k toward upgrades (really nothing).

I did not buy KB. I don't know their scheme, but there are some upgrades or add-ons that are often priced better than what you could do on your own or close to it, while the shiny objects are typically ridiculously marked up--don't pay $350 for a smart deadbolt you can buy and put in yourself for $250. We got a name brand HE washer/gas dryer set for $1000 from the builder (installed)--I priced the same set with discounts, taxes and delivery/installation and it was a plus- $400 difference had we bought on our own.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:53 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
Unless they are offering good deals on the appliances, buy them yourself.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:47 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
I went through this four years ago in Florida. Put in a lot of extras and upgrades. Now trying to sell the house and am going to lose a lot of money. I caution you to not go crazy with upgrades, the builders make a lot of money on them and you will never see the return on that investment if you sell. It's nice to get everything you want but be prepared to lose money on it if you sell the house.

If you can get decent credit for the appliances they put in, leave them out and buy what you want. I cook a lot and am picky about appliances. I must have a decent vent hood that vents out of the house above my cooktop, not a microwave. Stupid kitchen design that should have never been allowed. Just my opinion, but I hate smelling food odors in my house. Even if the microwave vents to the outside, it will not move enough air to get food odors out. Ever burn toast or popcorn in the microwave? Cook bacon for breakfast? Those smells linger for days if you can't vent them out fast.

Remember, you will need to spend more money after you close. Window treatment is expensive. Upgrades and add-ons are why I am losing money on the house I'm selling and why it's taking longer to sell. Houses just like mine without all the extras have sold because they were less expensive. Even with documentation of cost on everything I put in, people don't see the value in it. They want to choose their own extras and find out the hard way what it costs, especially when they sell the house.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM

223 posts, read 156,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I went through this four years ago in Florida. Put in a lot of extras and upgrades. Now trying to sell the house and am going to lose a lot of money. I caution you to not go crazy with upgrades, the builders make a lot of money on them and you will never see the return on that investment if you sell. It's nice to get everything you want but be prepared to lose money on it if you sell the house.

If you can get decent credit for the appliances they put in, leave them out and buy what you want. I cook a lot and am picky about appliances. I must have a decent vent hood that vents out of the house above my cooktop, not a microwave. Stupid kitchen design that should have never been allowed. Just my opinion, but I hate smelling food odors in my house. Even if the microwave vents to the outside, it will not move enough air to get food odors out. Ever burn toast or popcorn in the microwave? Cook bacon for breakfast? Those smells linger for days if you can't vent them out fast.

Remember, you will need to spend more money after you close. Window treatment is expensive. Upgrades and add-ons are why I am losing money on the house I'm selling and why it's taking longer to sell. Houses just like mine without all the extras have sold because they were less expensive. Even with documentation of cost on everything I put in, people don't see the value in it. They want to choose their own extras and find out the hard way what it costs, especially when they sell the house.
What was the total % of upgrades in relation to the base sale price? I’ve seen many homes that look like they spent 10%-15% and looked ok, not great.

Putting 50k additional into a 200k home (25%) is likely harder to recoup then 50k on a 400k house (12%), just because the neighborhood may not warrant a higher price.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
KWhen we were considering the KB, we wanted them to leave out the pony wall, put higher ceilings, more recessed lights. We planned on adding the pre wire package, banister for the stairs, soft water loop and a bbq's gas stub, The flooring would be their cheap carpet and then we would re-do. You will definitely over pay for nicer flooring. Kitchen they charge so much more for better cabinets and granite/quartz. Undermount sinks/dual sinks in bathroom, no tub in master. That's all I can think of right now. KB's design studio is draining. All those options they show you will add up quickly.

They told us not to get too crazy with upgrades because it might not appraise? The house we just bought we didn't need an appraisal so there is that.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
What was the total % of upgrades in relation to the base sale price? I’ve seen many homes that look like they spent 10%-15% and looked ok, not great.

Putting 50k additional into a 200k home (25%) is likely harder to recoup then 50k on a 400k house (12%), just because the neighborhood may not warrant a higher price.
Doing upgrades at the design center added 20% over base price of house, lot premium and pool (considered an add on, not an upgrade).

We planned to live there forever and added a lot of things after closing. Replaced the builder grade lighting fixtures, added built in office cabinets, nice closets in the master bedroom, outdoor kitchen (built in grill, sink, frig), window treatment (shades and drapery) etc. That added another $75K. So the house turned out to be expensive given the square footage, but boy is it nice! We're going to take a big loss and someone is going to get a really nice house for a heck of a deal.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM

223 posts, read 156,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Doing upgrades at the design center added 20% over base price of house, lot premium and pool (considered an add on, not an upgrade).

We planned to live there forever and added a lot of things after closing. Replaced the builder grade lighting fixtures, added built in office cabinets, nice closets in the master bedroom, outdoor kitchen (built in grill, sink, frig), window treatment (shades and drapery) etc. That added another $75K. So the house turned out to be expensive given the square footage, but boy is it nice! We're going to take a big loss and someone is going to get a really nice house for a heck of a deal.
Thanks for sharing, hope you are able to sell for a good price to at least break even. It seems like you over built for the neighborhood? The upgrades and additions you did sound relatively reasonable, considering Florida has been a strong real estate market over the last 4 years when you purchased, you should be at least break even?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
6 car garage.
Detached workshop.
usb outlets.
cat5 wire everywhere.
More insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas