Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,318 times

Advertisements

I talked to a few people that said Vegas aint a safe place. One guy was saying he lived there for years and had his hotel room broken into and stuff stolen. Another guy was saying he saw someone get stabbed to at a bus stop in the late 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
Vegas is perfectly safe. We have alot of property crimes. It seems like we have alot of crime, but in comparison to other cities of our size, we are about average. The statistics are misleading because of the crimes included in the calculations. And the fact that any new murder takes precedence on the evening news on every channel. So while there may have been only one murder that week, you will hear about it over and over in different ways. It is almost like the media wants you to think there are more than there are. And then other things never get reported as well. If it affects tourism, it will not get reported. For example, there was a shooting in the Luxors parking garage two nights ago. Not reported. A jumper jumped off the 16th floor of the Venetians parking structure the other day, not reported either. Look at the crime figures for the area, they are going down for the most part.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
Selecting a gated community MAY reduce those robbing you to just your neighborhood juvenile theft ring . . but no guarantees.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Oh not really. They will just wait until someone else lets them through the gate. But then again, the sign does say "one car at a time" so you are right, that should deter the crime.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Vegas is perfectly safe. I agree. At least as safe as any where else. And the fact that any new murder takes precedence on the evening news on every channel. So while there may have been only one murder that week, you will hear about it over and over in different ways. It is almost like the media wants you to think there are more than there are. YA THINK? And then other things never get reported as well. If it affects tourism, it will not get reported. NOT SO. THey don't care if it affects tourism. They are in it for the sensationalism and whomever's life they can ruin. I know. I worked there for years. For example, there was a shooting in the Luxors parking garage two nights ago. Not reported. Must have been a reason. A jumper jumped off the 16th floor of the Venetians parking structure the other day, not reported either. No news agency worth it's salt will report suicides unless it is someone famous. I can't show you the stats but it has been reported in the past that we have a high number of suicides due to idiots losing their life savings. Before you blame Vegas...they can and do the same thing in Podunk too. But being naive, they think they'll be the one to come here and break the bank even though the pros can't do it. Look at the crime figures for the area, they are going down for the most part.That's what I've heard too.
Vegas is as safe as anyplace else which may not be saying much these days.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

I am agreeing with you completely Buzz.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I talked to a few people that said Vegas aint a safe place. One guy was saying he lived there for years and had his hotel room broken into and stuff stolen. Another guy was saying he saw someone get stabbed to at a bus stop in the late 90's.
That's it?

Seriously, been here almost 30 years now, never a victim of any kind of crime...it's about as safe as any other place you can think of...or just as dangerous as all those other places

Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
That's it?

Seriously, been here almost 30 years now, never a victim of any kind of crime...it's about as safe as any other place you can think of...or just as dangerous as all those other places
MomMom you'd better knock on wood. I agree with you, but saying things like that can jinx you.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
You know Buzz, I don't dwell on "crime" in my daily life. Oh sure, I take all the necessary precautions...check and make sure the doors are locked at night, keep the vehicles in the garage. I hold onto my purse for dear life and Mr. MomMom keeps his cash and cards in his shirt pocket..our car doors are always locked when we are in it and we don't roll down our window for ANYBODY. If we are out for the day, we leave a light on in case we are not back by the time it gets dark.

Not only do we have an alarm system in the house, but we always leave the dogs home when we go out of town...we have a pet sitter who comes and stays with them while we are away. A deterrent to anyone wanting to break in.

We never leave our garage door open, or leave anything unlocked or unattended outside when we are not there.

I only valet at hotels if I go out alone to meet friends.

I am aware of my surroundings at all times, and WHO is in my surroundings. I don't venture into parts of town that I know are sketchy, as I have no business there.

If I have to travel alone in the evening on the roadways, I have my cell phone and my earpiece on and a direct link to Mr. MomMom until I get home.

To me, these precautions are what we would do no matter where we lived. And being a woman, you have to take those extra precautions as well.

I know what you're talking about though Buzz, maybe I live in a glass bubble or something

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Oh not really. They will just wait until someone else lets them through the gate. But then again, the sign does say "one car at a time" so you are right, that should deter the crime.

Seriously. On a couple of occasions I have pulled into my community only to find someone waiting at the gate for someone else to open it, so they can follow them in. There are two reasons I believe for this though - 1) a lot of the units in my complex are rented, and sometimes tennants do not have the code or the gate opener; and 2) complexes often times charge a ridiculous amount of money for a 2nd opener (mine charged either 35 or 40 the last i checked) so they often dont wanna pay the extra $$

I've been fighting with the management company for a while about this. Maybe I just expect that extra level because I am paying to live in a gated community, I don't know.

They have gotten better as far as security goes., but unless you have a physical guard at the gate, it's not much safer than living on a regular suburban street.

As for crime in general, I do tend to see a lot more reported on TV in LV than in NY, but I guess it comes with the territory. I always have my guard up higher, but I think that's just because of where I am from. I think if most people exercise common sense, then they won't fall victim. Again, just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas