Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:02 AM

28 posts, read 24,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I agree about the Pacific NW although my frame of reference is 1988. I moved from Santa Clara, CA. to suburban Seattle (involuntarily). I was only 16/17.

It was like dying and going to hell. A good analogy would be if I left here and went back to my hometown city of about 50k people in Wisconsin where if you're lucky and don't mind being tortured, you can make ten bucks an hour..Literally thanking God on a daily basis.

Amazing seeing snow is light and its a more mild climate than Wisconsin. You'd think WI is more depressing wouldn't you? Especially in 1988 man. Before a lot of overdevelopment happened, right when grunge was starting in Seattle too! I don't think the area was that much better in the 90s really , America just was and it trickled to over there but I'm damn sure the same social ills were still there then too. Properties just weren't as inflated. And you still hated it THEN ? WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 AM

628 posts, read 397,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound14 View Post
Amazing seeing snow is light and its a more mild climate than Wisconsin. You'd think WI is more depressing wouldn't you? Especially in 1988 man. Before a lot of overdevelopment happened, right when grunge was starting in Seattle too! I don't think the area was that much better in the 90s really , America just was and it trickled to over there but I'm damn sure the same social ills were still there then too. Properties just weren't as inflated. And you still hated it THEN ? WOW!
Well I was happy in Silicon valley and really a fun place to be in the eighties for a 16 year old with lots of friends.

Seattle by comparison was too conservative, boring, rainy, and depressing. As far as my home state, Wisconsin is a good place to grow up and we have very good schools, but for an adult it really goes downhill due to the lack of any decent paying jobs.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That's his gig. You'll see it in every thread he posts in. A lot of us have him on ignore because of the stupidity exhibited.

The best part? He'll probably post some snarky remark and I won't see it. LMAO!
Wait. There are trolls on C-D? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you. Round up the usual suspects.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wait. There are trolls on C-D? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you. Round up the usual suspects.
I find it quite interesting that the mods saw fit to redact my messages but mark them trolling while actually deleting from the thread the messages I responded to.

You'll notice that one poster and their band of troll a counts has been banned and that's why they're not replying.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:10 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound14 View Post
Hey I read what was said here about Portland and I cant stand the area. I had absolute trouble getting used to it and the people. It seemed friendly years ago than it does now and even then, it still had issues I feel. They were just easily not as noticed compared to today. I won't lie, I'd enjoy LV a lot more than PDX at this point in my life as I am more mature now. Portland is more fit for a Peter Pan type of person. Someone not as straight. They may have or put themselves around women but they're not exactly straight ya know? Many are also antisocial and stay to their own groups.. Something I'd see less of in Vegas. The cliquishness in Portland is real bad.. its like the East Coast in a lot of ways I feel, just not as openly communicated like you over there, we're over here, stay away kind of thing. Portland is NOT what I'd call a friendly city and the ugliness each and every year keeps getting exposed thank god. People should stop moving to Portland.
Yes, yes they really should. But the New York Times keeps talking it up and so do apparently other sources. If you like high taxes, unfriendly people, very poor weather, absolutely nothing to do, and high cost of living though boy have I got the place for you! You’ll love it.

No city is perfect, I think we all know that, every place has things you may wish you could change. It’s about trade offs but in many cases it’s also about what personality fits what place. If you really love oceans more than anything, yeah, maybe Vegas isn’t an ideal choice. If you hate the heat, Vegas isn’t for you either, my mom was exactly like that. She enjoyed vacationing to Vegas but she hated the heat so mostly avoided the summer. I absolutely love the heat. I want it hot all of the time if possible, as long as the inside is perfectly air conditioned. The point is, pick the place that makes you happiest, it won’t be the same for everyone. It would be boring if it was, after all.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:52 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Lake Las Vegas is the safest, not Summerlin.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 PM

220 posts, read 140,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker68 View Post
I am planning on moving back out west this Spring and have decided to go to Las Vegas. I would like advice as to which areas are safest? and which areas I should avoid. I am a single female, 50 yo with 2 small dogs. Thanks for all your help!
Silverado Ranch is nice and close to the Eastern Ave Shopping district. Like most others have stated, Anywhere below route 215 (Bruce Woodbury).
Good luck.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 AM

74 posts, read 58,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Lake Las Vegas is the safest, not Summerlin.
I really like the area, views and builders up there in 89011 when we were looking but for me personally, it was really far out from anything ..

Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vg247 View Post
I really like the area, views and builders up there in 89011 when we were looking but for me personally, it was really far out from anything ..
Yeah that was our feeling, too. My real estate agent said I'd hate it, because we thought Summerlin was too far out honestly. At least, the edge of Summerlin where we were looking, it just seemed far. But she told us Lake Las Vegas is beautiful, a really nice area, but just super far out there and not much around in the way of retail and restaurants. We aren't really "suburb" people, both my fiancé and I thought we'd live our entire lives in cities, but then we realized it's incredibly expensive to get the space we want inside of a city and you don't really have as much privacy as you want, communal living and all. So the next best thing to me is a suburb with an abundance of shopping and restaurants within 5 minutes. I hate driving anywhere, so we literally forget about restaurants that are 7 minutes away because we're too busy going to the ones that are 3-5 minutes away. If I had to drive 10 minutes for something, I'd do it a lot less. I'm just lazy with that :P

Old 04-21-2019, 04:14 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah that was our feeling, too. My real estate agent said I'd hate it, because we thought Summerlin was too far out honestly. At least, the edge of Summerlin where we were looking, it just seemed far. But she told us Lake Las Vegas is beautiful, a really nice area, but just super far out there and not much around in the way of retail and restaurants. We aren't really "suburb" people, both my fiancé and I thought we'd live our entire lives in cities, but then we realized it's incredibly expensive to get the space we want inside of a city and you don't really have as much privacy as you want, communal living and all. So the next best thing to me is a suburb with an abundance of shopping and restaurants within 5 minutes. I hate driving anywhere, so we literally forget about restaurants that are 7 minutes away because we're too busy going to the ones that are 3-5 minutes away. If I had to drive 10 minutes for something, I'd do it a lot less. I'm just lazy with that :P
When I lived in Chicago in a high rise condo off Michigan Ave, it could take 1/2 hour to drive around the block. We got tired of walking to the same restaurants in the neighborhood and there were plenty. Taking a cab or Uber would take just as long and the fee was more than parking. Thankfully, we had a grocery store on the main floor of our condo.

Vegas is not about "city vs suburbs". It's communities and areas that are all relatively within reach, you have to be willing to spend time to get there.

If you are "too busy" to get out of your neighborhood, I hope you like to cook and can find everything you want at the closest stores.

If you aren't willing to venture out and spend time to get to all the options in Vegas, you are going to miss a lot. What is the point of living in a place with a ton of things to do, great restaurants etc if you are "too lazy" to take the time to do them? Lake Las Vegas is way out there but is a nice place to visit. So is Mt. Charleston and Red Rock.

If you hate "driving anywhere" you moved to the wrong city. There is no subway like NY where you can get all over the without driving. Even in Chicago you can take the "L" (elevated train). In Vegas it's drive or take Uber of Lyft.

Last edited by movin1; 04-21-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas