U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM

3,318 posts, read 7,562,750 times

Advertisements

Plant barrel cacti. They are hardly beautiful and thrive in Vegas. They're available at all the Home Depots in the area (I know, I just bought 13 in the North Vegas location).

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM

38 posts, read 90,496 times
Yes, I plan to buy at least one. I like them but others may not share our passion!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 PM

17,172 posts, read 7,195,381 times
Default A most interesting spring.

The plants seem to have found this the best spring in the last two decades.

The Mexican poppies are out of control - thousand of pink flowers. In fact the message is we need to go and massacre them. After the flowers go away the poppies become a weed. And the only good control is to pull most of them...they will be back next year.

We have the poppies in with the star jasmine who are also wondrously green and vibrant. So once the poppies are disciplined the jasmine will take over throughout the summer.

The most surprising thing is the roses. Never have we seen such a bloom. I will take some pictures over the next days. All of the bushes are simply loaded with blossoms. Even the old bush near the door...which always looks green and healthy but has never before had a bud...is loaded. Appears it is actually one of the old roses with the quirky little flowers.

So for some reason the plants like this spring. Cooler and wetter maybe?

Old 04-16-2019, 04:48 AM

20,404 posts, read 24,027,978 times
Tucson climate is similar to Las Vegas, and we get freezes here as well. One freeze this winter down to 25 degrees.

Verbena are real toughies and they can flower year round. My purple ones survived the frost and a thin layer of snow and they're thriving. And, of course, roses are really, really toughies, can't go wrong there.

I planted over 50 plants in my yard last Fall, but be very careful with fertilizer. I had 5 bushes that seemed to need a little push, so I put some Jobe's Tree and Shrub, tiny white pellets, on them and I fried all 5 of them. The leaves on my Heavenly Bamboo and Bottle Brush all turned gray and the leaves fell off. I'm now going to stick to the Miracle Gro where you put a tablespoon of blue granules into a 2 gallon container.

Cassia's also do well in Las Vegas, I had 2 of them in my townhouse courtyard, and a Crepe Myrtle with orange flowers. I like the Popcorn Cassia the best as it has balls of yellow flowers like a popcorn ball. But I also have the Silvery Leaf Cassia and a Feathery Leaf Cassia. All 3 produce yellow flowers.

I planted a Purple Bougainvilla but it didn't hardly grow as the Purple Bougainvilla are much more frail than the red ones.

I had 2 Red Fairy Dusters in Las Vegas and they attract both Hummingbirds and bees. And they usually survived in a cold winter!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-16-2019 at 04:58 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 AM

381 posts, read 646,022 times
Bougainvilla is toxic if eaten by dogs cats or horses....careful with those!

Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,685,835 times
Many, many plants we have around are toxic.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 PM

345 posts, read 721,767 times
Plants are definitely fussy and sometimes I wish they could talk and tell me what exactly they want! I have been frustrated over the years when I plant what some people say are plants you cant kill.....NOT....I killed them or they chose a slow death. Then I plant a known fussy plant in unamended type soil, ignore it, and its the star of the garden. Go figure. All we gardeners can do is try our best. Plant more of what works and rip out what doesnt.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM

893 posts, read 823,061 times
Saw these at the Boulder City Arts Festival. Not cheap but will last forever. They look so good my sister thought they were real when she first saw them.

https://desertsteel.net/collections/succulents

When I moved into my house about four months ago, I had to rip out a lot of landscaping plants that had died, the house was vacant for 6 months and the irrigation was not set properly.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 AM

38 posts, read 90,496 times
Hello, it's almost spring time, so I thought it would be a good time to update my original post and let you know what I ended up buying and what did well, so far:

New Plants
Orange Jubilee Bells*
Cape Honeysuckle*
Yellow Bells*
Dwarf Bottle Brush
Rosemary
California Fan Palm#
CL America Rose
CL Piñata Rose*
CL San Juan Rose*
Yellow Bunny Ears

*Doing exceptionally well

#The California Fan Palm is in need of minerals because it's developing yellow tips, so I purchased some Azomite and will begin applying it soon. I may have to send a soil sample to a university in Florida if I can't find a local resource to analyze the soil and find out what it needs.

Hope that helps fellow/lady gardeners.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,038,645 times
uber, thanks for the list and update! Do you happen to know of any fruit-bearing trees that can do well here besides lemon and pomegranate trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas