Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 AM

50 posts, read 332,162 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the best driving route timewise is for a U-haul with a trailer driving from Portland Oregon to Las Vegas?? Safest??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 AM

4 posts, read 43,329 times
Thanks for asking this question because I totally forgot to.

I'm in Eugene and I may or may not have a trailer, depending on if I can sell my bed for a good price, and I was wondering the same thing. Mapquest said to go through Reno and then seven or eight hours through what looks like absolutely nothing. Is it better to go through California and then loop up?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:09 AM

Default Best Route

I think mapquest told us to drive down the 5 to northern cali, then cut over east and go down the 95 from there.

Someone else had told us to go through twin falls idaho, so we are very confused as to which route is best when you are moving with a u-haul.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssp02 View Post
Just wondering what the best driving route timewise is for a U-haul with a trailer driving from Portland Oregon to Las Vegas?? Safest??
Here's the best, fastest, and safest route:

- Take I-5 south through California as far as the Lost Hills - Highway 46 exit (about 120 miles north of Los Angeles).

- Go East on 46 (two lane but pretty fast) about 25 miles through the town of Wasco until you hit Highway 99.

- Turn south on 99 for 20 miles to Bakersfield.

- Take the Highway 58 exit in Bakersfield and follow 58 over the Tehachapi pass and across the Mojave Desert to Barstow. It's a divided freeway much of the way.

- Take I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas.

Don't even try sneaking around any other way or taking 95, which is a two lane highway for hundreds of miles. The route above is almost all freeway and there are always services nearby if you have problems.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
Here's the best, fastest, and safest route:

- Take I-5 south through California as far as the Lost Hills - Highway 46 exit (about 120 miles north of Los Angeles).

- Go East on 46 (two lane but pretty fast) about 25 miles through the town of Wasco until you hit Highway 99.

- Turn south on 99 for 20 miles to Bakersfield.

- Take the Highway 58 exit in Bakersfield and follow 58 over the Tehachapi pass and across the Mojave Desert to Barstow. It's a divided freeway much of the way.

- Take I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas.

Don't even try sneaking around any other way or taking 95, which is a two lane highway for hundreds of miles. The route above is almost all freeway and there are always services nearby if you have problems.

Good luck!
Sorry...this requires that you believe you are safer on divided highways than on two lanes. I certainly don't. I have made the run perfectly smoothly up and down 95 at least 20 times. It is a cakewalk.

The CA alternative is, well in CA, it is longer and far more dangerous.

I would route that way to get from middle CA to or from Las Vegas...but absolutely not from the north. Pick your best route to Reno and then across to 95 and down.

It is unpopulated. There is no there there...but there is also no traffic and no difficult places. A cakewalk as it were. There is nothing that resembles the grades at Tehachapi or on the 15.

Friend Randy is expert on any number of subjects...but this ain't one of them.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
I've used both routes many times. I agree that using 95 is the most direct. However, I suppose it could be considered less safe as you'll have to pass slower moving traffic on the opposite lane of travel, of course.

This is true especially if you drive substantially over the speed-limit where you'll be forced to pass greater numbers of slower moving vehicles than if you were going slower. Each passing maneuver might be considered more dangerous than if you were passing another vehicle on the interstate. But since you're hauling a trailer, you won't be doing that much over the speed limit anyway; in all likelihood.

I'll vote with olecapt on this one. Go slow* and be safe ...and remember, with fuel prices so high, the slower* you go, the less fuel you'll use.

* obviously not too slow as that's dangerous too but close to the speed limit or a bit slower. And remember too, in California, the speed limit for anything pulling a trailer is 55 MPH no matter if on the interstate or a two-lane state highway.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Route to NEvada

So if we were to go to Reno from here then take 95 south, how do we get to Reno? What's the best way?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 25,390 times
I realize this is a few years old but driving down I-5 and over to Reno from Mt. Shasta City (Google directions) is very hard on a vehicle with a trailer. Especially when you realize that going over Mt. Shasta City from Susanville has lots of hills and sudden twists and turns. If you were in Portland Metro area I would tell you to take I84 to Twin Falls. Since you aren't I5 is your only real option.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstech02 View Post
I realize this is a few years old but driving down I-5 and over to Reno from Mt. Shasta City (Google directions) is very hard on a vehicle with a trailer. Especially when you realize that going over Mt. Shasta City from Susanville has lots of hills and sudden twists and turns. If you were in Portland Metro area I would tell you to take I84 to Twin Falls. Since you aren't I5 is your only real option.
That's an easier than easy drive trailer or not as long as its not snowing. I drove from southern Oregon to mt. Shasta in the snow in a vehicle with 315/35/R20 tires twice this winter. If you're not familiar with tires those have essentially no sidewall and are warm weather tires.

I went through Bakersfield and up the 99 one time. It's way, way longer than going up/down the 95.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 24,252 times
From PDX, which is a better route (elevation, safety etc) to take to Vegas, via Boise or NorCal-Reno ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas