Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times

Advertisements

My Cox bill has gone up 40% in the last 2 months and I didn't change anything. I went to COX because I'd had much lower speed for years with CenturyLink and after 8 technician visits they couldn't fix the problem. The Cox service has been great but it is now too expensive.

And of course, I am more than a little chapped about the idea that they advertise the same service I have for $80 per month on their website but they think it is perfectly OK to charge me $160.

There must be SOMETHING else out there. If COX is our only provider and they have a monopoly why is there no oversight like a PUC or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

So I have stirred up the nest. Nicely. I called the PUC and put in a complaint. I was very nice and professional. The woman I spoke with said they are quite good about responding to complaints so we shall see.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
You can use Direct TV or DISH Network or any number of ways to get TV and just use Cox for internet.

Tell them you are going to cancel everything and see if they offer you a deal. Make sure it locks the rate for a few years.

$80/month is the "introductory" deal. It awful what they do and get a way with.

Get someone on the phone at Cox who can help find the best deal/rate, weird packages sometimes have lower rates.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
You can use Direct TV or DISH Network or any number of ways to get TV and just use Cox for internet.

Tell them you are going to cancel everything and see if they offer you a deal. Make sure it locks the rate for a few years.

$80/month is the "introductory" deal. It awful what they do and get a way with.

Get someone on the phone at Cox who can help find the best deal/rate, weird packages sometimes have lower rates.

Good luck.
I have played the call and beg game twice now and it didn't work. It has worked in the past though. Just not this time.

I don't use or need cable at all. I stream all my TV so internet is all I need.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 PM

250 posts, read 229,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have played the call and beg game twice now and it didn't work. It has worked in the past though. Just not this time.

I don't use or need cable at all. I stream all my TV so internet is all I need.
You might be in a pickle then. Hopefully somebody will post a better option for you,( temporarily, don't sign a contract, just have a temporary solution to your internet so you can get the introductory offer again) I'm sure you already have but I would recommend you do a search on here, ditch Cox, cutting cable, something to that effect.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 PM

555 posts, read 774,932 times
there isn't another option in Vegas for reliable high speed , high bandwidth internet. If you live in an area with Gigabit service through Century Link you might be in luck; otherwise Cox it is. You can try LV.net but their speed stinks . You can also try your cell phone provider - some may portable internet routers through their cell phone coverage- but speed won't be as good as Cox.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:34 PM

250 posts, read 229,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
there isn't another option in Vegas for reliable high speed , high bandwidth internet. If you live in an area with Gigabit service through Century Link you might be in luck; otherwise Cox it is. You can try LV.net but their speed stinks . You can also try your cell phone provider - some may portable internet routers through their cell phone coverage- but speed won't be as good as Cox.
I hear ya ', and your right, but makes me think, swg came in just a year or two ago I ripped up all of our streets install new pipe, why couldn't CenturyLink put some Fiber in the same time?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:42 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,539 times
Going to have to hope 5G will shake things up a bit

Or start your own ISP, that way you too can be a CEO

Old 04-19-2019, 06:47 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,178 times
Cox did an across the board rate increase a couple months ago. All we have in internet and it went from $52 to $62. I called them and got it down to $45 by lowering the speed, but they would not budge on the $62 speed.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,827 times
If you have unlimited data you could simply tether to your cellphone and pay nothing extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: