Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,226,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That was my feeling. I felt you would have to be extremely boring and only concerned with “the family life” to tolerate that place. Everything looked extremely bland, way more brown and beige than Green Valley (which was actually green), and it felt forever away from anything with far less shopping and restaurants. When I heard about 5 people say they used to live in Henderson and moved to Summerlin “for the kids,” I knew I wanted to avoid that place at all costs. No thanks.
Absurd. You are naive. I can show you an equivalent tract in Summerlin for any in southern Henderson.

There are very nice parkways in both...but they look like they were done by the same landscape architect.

The two places are virtually identical for children. The best conventional high school is in Henderson. But everything else is virtually identical. Far and awsy the best school is the Meadows in Summerlin...but very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM

158 posts, read 171,434 times
Quote:
That was my feeling. I felt you would have to be extremely boring and only concerned with “the family life” to tolerate that place. Everything looked extremely bland, way more brown and beige than Green Valley (which was actually green), and it felt forever away from anything with far less shopping and restaurants. When I heard about 5 people say they used to live in Henderson and moved to Summerlin “for the kids,” I knew I wanted to avoid that place at all costs. No thanks.
As I recall you looked in the newest and most southerly villages of Summerlin. Obviously those areas are going to have the least amount of mature landscaping and amenities. That will all come in time. If you ventured in to the Vistas, Arbors, Crossings, Canyons, Hills, Trails, etc. your opinion would be drastically different. Summerlin unquestionably possesses the greatest quantity and highest quality of amenities in suburban Las Vegas. From the still developing Downtown Summerlin to luxurious Red Rock Resort, Las Vegas Ballpark, City National Arena and all the future amenities to be developed near Summerlin Parkway/CC215. All of this at the doorstep of Red Rock Canyon. Hopefully when you get settled into your new home you’ll be able to more thoroughly explore our development to get a more accurate sense of all that we have to offer.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:20 AM

295 posts, read 359,607 times
Summerlin is very nice, but I will take Anthem and Seven Hills in a heart beat, just personal preference and proximity to the strip.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,226,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
Summerlin is very nice, but I will take Anthem and Seven Hills in a heart beat, just personal preference and proximity to the strip.
Anthem is in general 10 minutes further from the strip then Summerlin. Seven Hills is a little better but at best the same as Summerlin.

There are places in Summerlin such as Tournament Hills that are interchangeable with the best of south Henderson. In general any where in the core of Summerlin around TPC or around Red Rock are equivalent to the Seven Hills/Anthem area. And there are other places scattered around Summerlin that are as nice.

Proponent of one or the other claim superiority but it is simply untrue.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,552,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
There was a must see moment when Maxine the regulator grilled the COEs of financia institutions about forgiving student loans, to which the first answered we haven't done student loans in 15 years, right down the line of Ceos, to which they had to explain to her the govt handles student loans. It was the most shameless behavior in recent times.
During the Great Recession, the House hauled in the CEOs of investment banks for hearings. One of the representatives, whose name escapes me, grilled the CEO of Goldman Sachs about why GS didn't have many branches in African American neighborhoods. The head of the committee, Barney Frank had to interrupt him to explain Goldman Sachs doesn't have branches, and doesn't take deposits or give out car loans or mortgages. "What the hell kind of bank doesn't take deposits?" replied the elected congressman.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:01 AM

755 posts, read 395,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
During the Great Recession, the House hauled in the CEOs of investment banks for hearings. One of the representatives, whose name escapes me, grilled the CEO of Goldman Sachs about why GS didn't have many branches in African American neighborhoods. The head of the committee, Barney Frank had to interrupt him to explain Goldman Sachs doesn't have branches, and doesn't take deposits or give out car loans or mortgages. "What the hell kind of bank doesn't take deposits?" replied the elected congressman.

Pretty scary. Maxine Watters does know how to scam the government though to benefit her husband. The guy that just paid off student loans at Morehouse, was a long time GS employee, I'm surprised they didn't refuse this dirty money.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:09 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,589,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
As I recall you looked in the newest and most southerly villages of Summerlin. Obviously those areas are going to have the least amount of mature landscaping and amenities. That will all come in time. If you ventured in to the Vistas, Arbors, Crossings, Canyons, Hills, Trails, etc. your opinion would be drastically different. Summerlin unquestionably possesses the greatest quantity and highest quality of amenities in suburban Las Vegas. From the still developing Downtown Summerlin to luxurious Red Rock Resort, Las Vegas Ballpark, City National Arena and all the future amenities to be developed near Summerlin Parkway/CC215. All of this at the doorstep of Red Rock Canyon. Hopefully when you get settled into your new home you’ll be able to more thoroughly explore our development to get a more accurate sense of all that we have to offer.
We drove up from the Canyons area, the lower part of Summerlin, it was awful. Especially bordering Spring Valley which I’m already familiar with as I own property there (for another 3 weeks lol), I hated that entire area. It’s not a “bad” area but it’s sure not any good. These guys show us a way overpriced house with a pathetic pool and the nearest retail is Wal-Mart and IKEA?! I’ve also driven all around Green Valley, it’s absolute nonsense that there’s anything comparable about that and large sections of Summerlin - you couldn’t possibly be more than 5 minutes from major retail in Green Valley. There was almost nothing in huge areas of Summerlin, just houses. If you can’t see that, you haven’t driven where I did then. We drove 10 minutes and didn’t see a damn thing except for rows and rows of ugly houses and brown everywhere between lower Summerlin and downtown Summerlin.

Don’t even get me started on the “great downtown Summerlin.” It didn’t feel well laid out or designed at all. Nobody was there, it seemed dead immediately, every restaurant (of which there aren’t many) closed early and charged way more than anywhere else in the Valley, competitive with Strip pricing. The entirety of Summerlin is insanely far away from the Strip. I’m sure there are a few great neighborhoods of Summerlin that do have the alleged retail and local restaurants I’d expect, but I’m also sure they’re incredibly overpriced. I found a prime example this week that Zillow sent me, $775,000 house at 2,600 square feet in Summerlin with inferior finishes and a much worse pool, no view whatsoever, compared to my $812,000 including the cost of backyard / pool / hot tub and I got 3,600 square feet, superior finishes, and an unobstructed view of the Strip. So no thanks to paying an enormous premium to live in a part of the city it took zero time to see was inferior to Green Valley. The argument that if I had just driven around for another 2 hours I would have seen how great Summerlin is... lol!! I didn’t have to do that in Green Valley! It took 5 minutes to fall in love with the area.

I’m sure I’ll meet many awesome people from Summerlin. I’m also sure that as long as I live I’ll never forget just how creepy that place felt to both my fiancé and I immediately. I’ve never felt a place was so desolate, creepy, and Stepford Wives in my life. I don’t see why I’d drive out there ever except for VGK practice a few times. Otherwise, there was nothing to see.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
We drove up from the Canyons area, the lower part of Summerlin, it was awful. Especially bordering Spring Valley which I’m already familiar with as I own property there (for another 3 weeks lol), I hated that entire area. It’s not a “bad” area but it’s sure not any good. These guys show us a way overpriced house with a pathetic pool and the nearest retail is Wal-Mart and IKEA?! I’ve also driven all around Green Valley, it’s absolute nonsense that there’s anything comparable about that and large sections of Summerlin - you couldn’t possibly be more than 5 minutes from major retail in Green Valley. There was almost nothing in huge areas of Summerlin, just houses. If you can’t see that, you haven’t driven where I did then. We drove 10 minutes and didn’t see a damn thing except for rows and rows of ugly houses and brown everywhere between lower Summerlin and downtown Summerlin.

Don’t even get me started on the “great downtown Summerlin.” It didn’t feel well laid out or designed at all. Nobody was there, it seemed dead immediately, every restaurant (of which there aren’t many) closed early and charged way more than anywhere else in the Valley, competitive with Strip pricing. The entirety of Summerlin is insanely far away from the Strip. I’m sure there are a few great neighborhoods of Summerlin that do have the alleged retail and local restaurants I’d expect, but I’m also sure they’re incredibly overpriced. I found a prime example this week that Zillow sent me, $775,000 house at 2,600 square feet in Summerlin with inferior finishes and a much worse pool, no view whatsoever, compared to my $812,000 including the cost of backyard / pool / hot tub and I got 3,600 square feet, superior finishes, and an unobstructed view of the Strip. So no thanks to paying an enormous premium to live in a part of the city it took zero time to see was inferior to Green Valley. The argument that if I had just driven around for another 2 hours I would have seen how great Summerlin is... lol!! I didn’t have to do that in Green Valley! It took 5 minutes to fall in love with the area.

I’m sure I’ll meet many awesome people from Summerlin. I’m also sure that as long as I live I’ll never forget just how creepy that place felt to both my fiancé and I immediately. I’ve never felt a place was so desolate, creepy, and Stepford Wives in my life. I don’t see why I’d drive out there ever except for VGK practice a few times. Otherwise, there was nothing to see.
Have you ever been to Red Rock Resort, Las Vegas Ballpark or Tivoli Village. Have you ever explored the majesty of Red Rock Canyon. Once you get settled I encourage you to enjoy a fantastic meal at Blue Ribbon Sushi or T-Bones followed by a Aviators game. Enjoy!

Downtown Summerlin is still in development and offers shopping and dining that is unmatched in suburban Las Vegas. I shop or dine at Downtown Summerlin multiple times a week and it is always very busy. With the addition of new Class A office space and Las Vegas Ballpark Howard Hughes is having to construct a new parking garage because it is so busy.

I’m very puzzled when you talk about the retail in Spring Valley. The retail in the area you mention is newer and nicer than what is all along Eastern. Eastern south of the 215 is full of fast food and junk stores. The shopping center on Horizon Ridge and Eastern alone has a Superpawn and Dollar Loan Center. Not exactly high class. In addition to always seeing homeless people and panhandling in that center. I can’t get gas at the Texaco there without being asked for money. I’m in that area frequently and can see the precipitous decline over the last five years.

Last edited by Princeton1990; 05-25-2019 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 PM

848 posts, read 643,431 times
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...robbery-video/

https://www.ktnv.com/news/costco-rem...summerlin-park

Old 05-25-2019, 11:04 PM

Posting news articles from 2 years ago? I can find crime and homeless reports in Green Valley and Anthem if you would like. Heck there have been threads on this forum of crime waves and homeless encampments in Anthem and Green Valley on this forum.

I am in no way saying Green Valley and Anthem are bad areas BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas