Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 08:31 PM

220 posts, read 139,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
More money to teach our kids nothing. I'll pass.
The more money we throw at the school system the dumber the kids get. How much money do they need to teach about the 30 genders of make believe ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,083,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, our country is much better off filled with millions of uneducated people.

This is some pretty good evidence of what I'm talking about. The cognitive ability of Americans is pathetic.

In every discussion on education the number 1 topic is teacher pay. Everyone wants to reform education but they don't want to do anything about the useless crap we teach our kids. They just want to pay teachers more.
Median wage for a teacher is 45,000 dollars a year and they don't even work a full year. They don't need more money.
We spend around 10,000 per year per student. Our return is abysmal. We lag behind every other developed country in every area except confidence. We're confident morons.
The average household debt is 137,000 dollars and the median wage is 60,000.
In Britain the household debt is 15,000 the median wage is 28,000 (in pounds not dollars)
1/4 of brits have no savings.
HALF of Americans have less than 1,000 in savings.

People from all over the world come here every day. If you speak to them, you find that even the dumbest foreigner is smarter than smart Americans. Because we teach our kids nothing useful beyond reading and math.
I've had British families in my car on several occasions. The kids use more advanced words than a typical American adult. American kids talk about Cardi B and energy drinks. British kids talk about politics and ideas.
The homework my kids bring home is a joke. Their classwork is a joke. My daughter, in 8th grade, has kid games assigned as homework. Kindergarten level crap. My son taught himself multiplication because he was bored of the simple addition and subtraction his 3rd grade class is slowly learning.
My time was wasted in school. I could read, write, do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before I got to kindergarten.
I learned how to remember useless facts about long dead civilizations. I learned how the dewey decimal system worked. That was 3 damn years of class!!!!!!!!!! It's not a hard system!
I learned blatant falsehoods like how Columbus discovered America...with people already here....
I aced my English classes and yet I still write like this....
Everyone has to take algebra. If you spend any amount of time on Facebook you'll see various math problems posted online and the majority of people get them wrong. So how effective are these algebra classes?

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ÷ 2 =

How many of you can get that write without googling?

What I didn't learn was how to write a resume, balance a bank account, apply for loans, invest, save, how interest works, how to research, or how to critically think.

College wasn't any better. I went for accounting. I had to waste time with a computer class. That class literally taught me how to use a mouse and keyboard. IT WAS AN ONLINE CLASS!!!!
I had 1 class per semester related to accounting and it was completely useless.
They taught us how to use some made up software that isn't anything like real software used in the industry.
The bulk of the class was on how to use said software.
Absolutely useless.
For further proof look at all those celebrity kids that were bribed into colleges. They didn't flunk out despite not meeting the entrance standards of the school.

k-12 education in America is garbage. The majority of college classes are garbage.
But here we are paying more for it than everyone else and we're wanting to pay even more for no improvements????

F that.

I don't want rich teachers. I want effective teachers.

I fail to see the difference between the current state of America and an America without schools. The only real difference would be fewer people able to read and do math. Most jobs require neither of those things.

Paying 120,000 dollars to teach a single kid how to read and do basic math is beyond absurd.
Education should prepare kids for life in the real world and it simply doesn't do that. I'm not cool paying for that.
Fix the curriculum and I'll be happy to pay.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 PM

223 posts, read 154,887 times
Quote:
This is some pretty good evidence of what I'm talking about. The cognitive ability of Americans is pathetic.

In every discussion on education the number 1 topic is teacher pay. Everyone wants to reform education but they don't want to do anything about the useless crap we teach our kids. They just want to pay teachers more.
Median wage for a teacher is 45,000 dollars a year and they don't even work a full year. They don't need more money.
We spend around 10,000 per year per student. Our return is abysmal. We lag behind every other developed country in every area except confidence. We're confident morons.
In Britain the household debt is 15,000 the median wage is 28,000 (in pounds not dollars)

People from all over the world come here every day. If you speak to them, you find that even the dumbest foreigner is smarter than smart Americans. Because we teach our kids nothing useful beyond reading and math.
I've had British families in my car on several occasions. The kids use more advanced words than a typical American adult. American kids talk about Cardi B and energy drinks. British kids talk about politics and ideas.
The homework my kids bring home is a joke. Their classwork is a joke. My daughter, in 8th grade, has kid games assigned as homework. Kindergarten level crap. My son taught himself multiplication because he was bored of the simple addition and subtraction his 3rd grade class is slowly learning.
My time was wasted in school. I could read, write, do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before I got to kindergarten.
I learned how to remember useless facts about long dead civilizations. I learned how the dewey decimal system worked. That was 3 damn years of class!!!!!!!!!! It's not a hard system!
I learned blatant falsehoods like how Columbus discovered America...with people already here....
Everyone has to take algebra. If you spend any amount of time on Facebook you'll see various math problems posted online and the majority of people get them wrong. So how effective are these algebra classes?

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ÷ 2 =

What I didn't learn was how to write a resume, balance a bank account, apply for loans, invest, save, how interest works, how to research, or how to critically think.

College wasn't any better. I went for accounting. I had to waste time with a computer class. That class literally taught me how to use a mouse and keyboard. IT WAS AN ONLINE CLASS!!!!
They taught us how to use some made up software that isn't anything like real software used in the industry.
Absolutely useless.
For further proof look at all those celebrity kids that were bribed into colleges. They didn't flunk out despite not meeting the entrance standards of the school.

k-12 education in America is garbage. The majority of college classes are garbage.
But here we are paying more for it than everyone else and we're wanting to pay even more for no improvements????

F that.

I fail to see the difference between the current state of America and an America without schools. The only real difference would be fewer people able to read and do math. Most jobs require neither of those things.

Paying 120,000 dollars to teach a single kid how to read and do basic math is beyond absurd.
Education should prepare kids for life in the real world and it simply doesn't do that. I'm not cool paying for that.
Agreed that part of the problem is curriculum, but a few of my closest friends are educators, the common theme is the parents and the lack of self awareness as it pertains to their own culpability for their children's successful education.

Parents don’t want to help educate their kids and enable some of the worst behavior that is learned from the home.

It’s been a cyclical race to the bottom as each generation is worse than the next. Education is not just the 7 hours kids are in school, it’s every day and every hour. Yes, schools and teachers are important but its not just them. We as parents are ultimately responsible.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,532,273 times
Quote:
More money to teach our kids nothing. I'll pass.
Quote:
Yeah, our country is much better off filled with millions of uneducated people.
Quote:

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ÷ 2 =

Absolutely useless.

F that.

Just the one that popped out. I didn't bother reading the rest. I've read it ad infinitum.

A nice diatribe btw. That fixes nothing and will never fix anything. Know why?

Because the only thing you do about it is insult posters (not just me, pretty much everyone) and complain, complain, complain. Here's an idea, get off your butt and work to fix it.

Yeah, that won't happen.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,242,295 times
Quote:

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ÷ 2 =

Absolutely useless.

F that.

Feel better now that you got that idiot rant off your chest?

Stupid example as the simple use of parentheses can remove all the uncertainty.

(6 - (1 x 0) + 2) ÷ 2 = 4

And it is actually a well known problem in math and computer science. Often screwed up.

Having run major engineering organizations with parts in England, Holland and Japan we do fine.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 PM
EA

Quote:
Just the one that popped out. I didn't bother reading the rest. I've read it ad infinitum.

A nice diatribe btw. That fixes nothing and will never fix anything. Know why?

Because the only thing you do about it is insult posters (not just me, pretty much everyone) and complain, complain, complain. Here's an idea, get off your butt and work to fix it.

Yeah, that won't happen.

So you didn't read it yet somehow you know it won't fix the problem?

You prove my point again.

Had you read it, you'd see that that I pointed out that my English/grammar wasn't perfect despite getting good grades in all my English classes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
Agreed that part of the problem is curriculum, but a few of my closest friends are educators, the common theme is the parents and the lack of self awareness as it pertains to their own culpability for their children's successful education.

Parents don’t want to help educate their kids and enable some of the worst behavior that is learned from the home.

It’s been a cyclical race to the bottom as each generation is worse than the next. Education is not just the 7 hours kids are in school, it’s every day and every hour. Yes, schools and teachers are important but its not just them. We as parents are ultimately responsible.

I agree that parents share responsibility, however, teacher pay can't fix that.
Paying teachers more doesn't make parents suddenly start doing their job.
Changing the curriculum, on the other hand, at least puts more valuable and useful information in front of the kids. Even if they fail to utilize or retain it, at least we tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Feel better now that you got that idiot rant off your chest?

Stupid example as the simple use of parentheses can remove all the uncertainty.

(6 - (1 x 0) + 2) ÷ 2 = 4

And it is actually a well known problem in math and computer science. Often screwed up.

Having run major engineering organizations with parts in England, Holland and Japan we do fine.

If it's an idiot rant why don't you enlighten me? Show me the error in my ways.
Are you going to tell me that teaching kids useful information instead of useless information is detrimental?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:16 PM

927 posts, read 877,226 times
Quote:
You can't have one without the other. You're not going to get the kind of people you dream of teaching your kids advertising a starting salary of $40,000 when the average home price is $280,000.

If you want people to actually teach your students useful things like computer science, advanced mathematics, and engineering, you have to pay those teachers market value which is higher than the salary of that profession.

Why pay them more than what they would make in the private sector? Simple. If you paid them the same, no one would choose the job that requires them to know those skills while simultaneously babysitting 40 adolescents in a confined space.

I worked at a school that had a magnet Nursing program and we couldn't find anyone to teach the class because the advertised salary is laughable for any licensed nurse who has to also become a licensed teacher. The lady we brought in quit after a month.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 AM

779 posts, read 467,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
You can't have one without the other. You're not going to get the kind of people you dream of teaching your kids advertising a starting salary of $40,000 when the average home price is $280,000.

If you want people to actually teach your students useful things like computer science, advanced mathematics, and engineering, you have to pay those teachers market value which is higher than the salary of that profession.

Why pay them more than what they would make in the private sector? Simple. If you paid them the same, no one would choose the job that requires them to know those skills while simultaneously babysitting 40 adolescents in a confined space.

I worked at a school that had a magnet Nursing program and we couldn't find anyone to teach the class because the advertised salary is laughable for any licensed nurse who has to also become a licensed teacher. The lady we brought in quit after a month.

Amen.

Another "let's shyt on teachers" diatribe. Original. Hey OP and all the other complainers go take up teaching? Oh, that's right.....

Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 AM
EA

Perhaps if you read carefully you would have seen where I said I'll happily pay when they start teaching useful things.
I don't want to pay for a broken car.
I don't want to adopt a dead dog.
I don't want to cook a rotten steak.
I don't want to fund a useless education system.

I'll pay for a working car.
I'll adopt a live dog.
I'll cook a fresh steak.
I'll fund a useful education system.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:08 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,941,526 times
The answer is 5, but you can get a BA in elementary ed after only taking one math course... usually Math For Education Majors. There are free resources out there that are better than even what the affluent schools offer. The OP sounds like a diploma mill victim, and that is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas