Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised the Democritters in the legislature didn't run this past Sisolak before the pushed it through. They look pretty stupid now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Now, this really does shock me. He must be a DINO

Well you know he's all in for the $750 Million in taxpayers money going to the stadium, he voted for it during his time as a Clark County Commissioner. What do you think? You know politicians giving $$$$$ to millionaires and billionaires to satisfy their whims.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:49 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You mean like Steve Sisolak who was born in Milwaukee and has lived in Las Vegas since 78 or so?

The constitutionality of the compact will be determined in the courts. There are views in the legal profession that is it is in fact a legal compact.

If it is found not legal it is easily fixed.
Making an end run around the US Constitution is not a legal compact.

The electoral college exists to provide a voice in government to areas of low population. Without that, it is tyranny by majority.

The US is a constitutional republic and not a direct democracy. If the reps wish to change this then they should call a constitutional convention and put the changes up for an amendment vote as outlined in our founding documents.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
The Electoral College is essentially a formality as it stands. I believe 96% of campaigns last election only visited like 11-12 states and they are saying in the next election most will focus on 6 or fewer. If the Big 4 (CA, NY, TX and FL) ever got on the same page, it would be even more laughable.

For those outraged, wasn't the Electoral College formed in the first place to keep men like Trump out of office? The Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” There were better candidates available that wouldn't have made a mockery of the office. I'd argue that the jobs, economy and other key indicators would have been equal to whomever took office as the President gets way too much credit for those sorts of things.

This seems like political recourse for Republicans letting their party get hijacked by a man that had no business being President.
Better candidates like who? Hillary Clinton? What a joke. The last thing the US needs are ruling families.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
We've had two presidents be elected who did not win the popular vote within the last 2 decades.

And our current president has no qualifications for running the country, let alone a business that doesn't rip people off or go bankrupt to skirt his financial obligations.
The government wasn't designed to be run by professional politicians. The government was designed to be run by the average Joe who was elected to represent the views of their district. They were supposed to convene Congress, vote, and go home. Running for government was never intended to be a profession.

Last edited by equid0x; 06-08-2019 at 11:19 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
As if states should be equal. What logic is there that North Dakota with it's paltry 760k population has the same amount of power in the senate as California with it's 40 million population?
The simple answer is that the issues going on in California are not necessarily the issues happening I North Dakota and the government needs to arrive at a compromise that is suitable for all of the parties involved and not just California.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you live vicariously through orange man. Trust me, we all lost the day he stole the election. We're going to get at least 4 years of good comedy night show material from it though.
Zero evidence of election stealing. However, the Dems were caught red handed in multiple district and colluding with foreign powers.

Care to back up your statements?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What other countries in the world have an electoral college to help decide a Presidential election? We so-so-so-so-so-so-so need to split this country into 4 parts, at least. California is the size of Germany and Germany stands alone. Texas is how much bigger than France, and France stands alone. Israel is the size of New Jersey, and Israel stands alone. Well, with our financial help!
Other countries are not nearly the size of the US except the dictatorship of Russia. Not even an apples to apples comparison.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
An amazingly accurate description of how Trump won the election last time.
Explain your position.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Now, this really does shock me. He must be a DINO
Sisolak runs my district and while I bill him as generally, a progressive, he does have some interesting quirks.

The local news does not seem to be carrying this story much so I'm still unclear on what the outcome is.

I don't agree with everything he has done but I do thiñk this was the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas