Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times

Advertisements

That is not right and if you see it happening, contact Republic about it. Every single time it happens! Keep calling. If it continues, call the local news about it. I don't wash out all my recyclables for the fun of it just to have it go into the trash. And it better not be going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
There are a couple issues:
  • The Federal Government has set % requirements for recycling that state & local governments must achieve or have lose some federal funding (I don't recall which specific programs).
  • In order to achieve the % recycling required by the Federal Government, most local governments across the country have implemented Single Stream Recycling (everything in one big bin). In the old days, local governments used separate bins for mixed paper, aluminum cans, and plastic bottles -- but didn't achieve the % required by the Feds. They switched to Single Stream to make it easier on us end customers, thereby achieving the % required by the Feds.
  • The idea was the recycling center would sort the single stream into its component parts. It turns out that wasn't particularly easy, and wasn't accurate enough.
  • Single stream recycling also results in quite a bit of contamination from "aspirational recycling" -- things that are not recyclable such as pizza boxes (contaminated with food & grease), household batteries, plastic grocery bags, juice boxes, and the like. Plus mistakes where household garbage ends up in the recycling bin by accident.

Buyers of, say, used plastic water bottles will reject a batch that is contaminated with stuff from the single stream recycling. That batch will end up in the landfill. Ditto for buyers of newsprint, glass, etc. But it was "recycled" at the sort facility and hence counts towards the Federal % requirement.

Nowadays, many batches will end up in the landfill. Maybe even most. The culprit is single stream, for the most part. The root cause appears to be unrealistic Federal requirements.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 PM

143 posts, read 98,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The root cause appears to be unrealistic Federal requirements.
Now, there's a shocker! (not)

Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Hahaha “aspirational recycling” - I love that!! That’s my future mother in law, she thinks everything is recyclable. It’s ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Recycling has always been feel good BS. They either store it, or ship it to India or China where people live in the garbage dump and dig through trash all day by hand to separate it. They only recover high value materials from the trash, the rest typically gets burned.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 AM

6 posts, read 3,377 times
I have seen them doing the same thing at my house in Anthem. It makes me made! I don’t even bother recycling anymore. I just have two trash cans.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hahaha “aspirational recycling” - I love that!! That’s my future mother in law, she thinks everything is recyclable. It’s ridiculous.
I can't take credit for the term - apparently it is widely used among industry insiders.

A buyer of, say, recycled water bottles used to accept batches with 20% contamination (made up number for illustration), then it only became economic for 15% contamination... then 10%... then 5%... All that aspirational recycling just contaminates batches such that the batch ends up in landfill.

The curbside recycling here accepts glass bottles. The curbside recycling in Park City does not - they say the glass bottles break in the sorting equipment resulting in broken glass contaminating everything. (I suspect Republic does not actually sort our recycling; I've seen the facility in Henderson and it appears they just compact everything with no sorting whatsoever, then ship the whole thing to China labeled "mixed" even though it will be contaminated with garbage. China, of course, has ratcheted down the percentage of contamination in a given batch they will accept, and non-accepted batches head straight to the landfill.

None of which matters from the point of view of the Federal Government, as it was counted as recycled at the recycling facility even if it ends up in landfill.

Have your future mother-in-law call her recycling company on the telephone and ask explicitly which things go in and which aspirational items should be put into garbage. If, for example, her facility does not accept glass bottles, have her ask where she can take them for recycling if she's so inclined.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Aspirational or wishful recycling also refers to the hope that something can be recycled simply because it's made of a material that can be recycled.

Things like a Swiffer mop or a razor blade cartridges get tossed into the bin because they are made of metal or plastic and people wish they get recycled. Those items could be recycled if someone took the time to separate them into their individual components.

My understanding is that single stream raises recycling rates but lowers the percentage of the recycling through contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: