Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 03:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times

Advertisements

Does this service even exist in Las Vegas? If so which part of town are you in? It seems CenturyLink is content with having lame 10 megabit service for the rest of it's miserable existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Yeah I looked up my new house area in Henderson and all it showed offered was extremely terrible 25 megs down paired with DirecTV which also nobody should have if they value sports at all. My uncle has that, no Golden Knights games for him, totally pointless service unless you’re in a rural area with zero cable choice. I saw Cox offers 1 gig down but the upload is pretty poor, not a huge deal but not as good as fiber synchronous connection speeds.

I saw CenturyLink has fiber but it doesn’t seem like it’s all over Vegas. I’m bummed about that.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:12 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,066 times
No ADD meds today JLB?

I have it, Silverado Ranch area.

Wired I get about 700mbps up/down.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 PM

I have no idea what the ADD reference is about, the only thing I take is Vitamin D and I’ll be glad to stop that once I move to the sun! But maybe you’re off your meds?!

700 down is great!

Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
I'm in Spring Valley and I doubt they will ever bring gigabit here as it would require them to tear up the street.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:23 PM

74 posts, read 58,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah I looked up my new house area in Henderson and all it showed offered was extremely terrible 25 megs down paired with DirecTV which also nobody should have if they value sports at all. My uncle has that, no Golden Knights games for him, totally pointless service unless you’re in a rural area with zero cable choice. I saw Cox offers 1 gig down but the upload is pretty poor, not a huge deal but not as good as fiber synchronous connection speeds.

I saw CenturyLink has fiber but it doesn’t seem like it’s all over Vegas. I’m bummed about that.
What did you go with, Cox? My new home is in Henderson as well and I’m looking for an Internet, TV, phone package and so far prefer Cox over a Century since I don’t want a Direct TV dish mounted to my home...

Unfortunately, feedback from the community is that both are awful providers - so I guess I’ll have to settle for Cox.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:35 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,195 times
Quote:
DirecTV which also nobody should have if they value sports at all. My uncle has that, no Golden Knights games for him, totally pointless service unless you’re in a rural area with zero cable choice.

I respectfully disagree. I have directv and have gotten every Knights game. Maybe you need to add the sports package to your subscription. there are countless regional & national sports channels available, but its a separate package addon option.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
When I looked at Century Link they only had a paltry 2mb speed in my area of Henderson. We have the Cox 100 mbps package and it's plenty fast for everything I've used it for, including streaming movies and sports.

We also have Dish and the sports pack. I get all the Golden Knights games and a ton of regional channels. I also subscibe to NHL TV to get all the out of market games. We've never had a problem with Dish and their whole house DVR system is awesome.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,066 times
Quote:
I have no idea what the ADD reference is about, the only thing I take is Vitamin D and I’ll be glad to stop that once I move to the sun! But maybe you’re off your meds?!

700 down is great!
Sorry I first thought you went off on a tangent, but on rereading your post, it wasn't nearly as bad

Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I'm in Spring Valley and I doubt they will ever bring gigabit here as it would require them to tear up the street.
How do they typically run fiber? I mean does it go along existing buried lines or...? I can imagine it’s quite a project and infrastructure expense just to add fiber to areas BUT Vegas I would think would be easier than some markets. Portland is almost the same population as Vegas (it’s a bit bigger), but it’s spread out over dozens of nearby cities and lots of land and forests. Very hard to run fiber outside of the city proper. Vegas is pretty tightly packed and lot sizes are small, so I’d think it might be more economical.

That’s good to know about DirecTV - I bet my uncle just doesn’t have the sports package. He’s retired and money isn’t in large supply. He can come over and watch with me whenever though - I can’t wait! My issue with the CenturyLink option is their Internet is WAY too slow for anything. 25 megs down just isn’t acceptable. I get around 400 right now.

As for Cox, I’d love to hear what provider doesn’t suck. Cable companies are THE worst. We’re stuck with Comcast in Portland and they’re so bad they rebranded as Xfinity. I’ve had a fine experience with them the last few years but they were terrible in the past. In Long Beach I used Time Warner, I thought they were awful. I think cable companies are like health insurance companies, they all suck but we have no other choice but to accept their nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: