U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 AM

1,444 posts, read 3,754,630 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Four college friends are planning some sort of getaway, probably February 2020, in honor (?!) of

our 70th birthdays. We are all in pretty good shape and not at all geezers, haha.

Vegas is on the list... I'm more of a white-sand-beach frame of mind, but I could live with it.
One is looking at packages at The Venetian and their spa. One doesn't really care to gamble at all but says there is lots to do otherwise.

I haven't been to LV in at least 10-15 years...saw Siegfried & Roy before their close, and Lance Burton.
Saw Jubilee probably 20 years ago and know it is closed.

I know that is not much to go on...but any suggestions about a hotel that would truly welcome our age group and some activity suggestions would be great. I see there is an Elvis tribute show with good reviews on Trip Advisor (All Shook Up) and the Beatles Cirque show...worth it? Generally we each like our own room but it looks like sharing two rooms will be the best $$ approach.

Are VRBO or other house rentals a good idea in Vegas or just too much traveling time?

THANK YOU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 AM

14,183 posts, read 26,725,648 times
Unless you are really into crowds, I would be looking at what else is in town on dates you are considering. Try to avoid crowded weeks. A house is a viable option if you are renting a car. And of course that means 1 person can't drink and has to be the driver. Then you have to do the parking thing too.

I would just get a hotel close to the middle of the Strip and do some walking. In February it won't be hot. You will have a great time. As far as the shows go, the Beatles show is great and then try to see Cirque. Any Cirque show will be good. If you want a wholesome activity for an afternoon go to the Lion Ranch in Henderson. It's all the big cats that used to be at the MGM. It's a non profit worth supporting. If you check their website sometimes they have cubs you can interact with and occasionally they have special deals where you can feed or pet them and get pictures taken. You would have to take a cab for that. The Mob Museum is good and it would get you down to Fremont St for an afternoon. Go see the museum and then walk Fremont. Make sure you go in to the Golden Nugget and see the Sharks! The pool won't be open but you can still walk around and look. You could do that easily and make it a day trip if you bought a pass on the Deuce(tourist bus that runs the Strip down to Fremont). Then everyone could still split up if some wanted to do Fremont and others wanted to go to the Strip. Then there is also the National Atomic Testing Museum. I thought it was great but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 AM

1,444 posts, read 3,754,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Unless you are really into crowds, I would be looking at what else is in town on dates you are considering. Try to avoid crowded weeks. A house is a viable option if you are renting a car. And of course that means 1 person can't drink and has to be the driver. Then you have to do the parking thing too.

I would just get a hotel close to the middle of the Strip and do some walking. In February it won't be hot. You will have a great time. As far as the shows go, the Beatles show is great and then try to see Cirque. Any Cirque show will be good. If you want a wholesome activity for an afternoon go to the Lion Ranch in Henderson. It's all the big cats that used to be at the MGM. It's a non profit worth supporting. If you check their website sometimes they have cubs you can interact with and occasionally they have special deals where you can feed or pet them and get pictures taken. You would have to take a cab for that. The Mob Museum is good and it would get you down to Fremont St for an afternoon. Go see the museum and then walk Fremont. Make sure you go in to the Golden Nugget and see the Sharks! The pool won't be open but you can still walk around and look. You could do that easily and make it a day trip if you bought a pass on the Deuce(tourist bus that runs the Strip down to Fremont). Then everyone could still split up if some wanted to do Fremont and others wanted to go to the Strip. Then there is also the National Atomic Testing Museum. I thought it was great but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks Yellowsnow! I imagine by my username you got the idea to mention Lion Ranch ...that would interest me...not sure about the others. About How far timewise is Henderson from the Strip? Like the Mob Museum idea too, thanks! I think we are looking at around Feb. 2-25 thereabouts. Don't think the IT convention or Nascar are in town then?!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Here is the link for conventions in February 2020. Las Vegas Conventions and Las Vegas Convention Calendar

President's Day is the 17th. I would avoid that one because we will be full up with people who drive in from surrounding states for 3 day weekends. As a local, I can tell you I stay home on Holiday weekends. And I never go out to eat on Mother's day either! Maybe that makes me smart and maybe that makes me a killjoy but I just don't like standing in line when I know I can just pick another day to go! If you are already on the Strip, you would see the differences as just increased crowds. And of course, rates are higher on Holiday weekends. You will find a fewer bargains on rooms.

The trip out to the Lion Ranch would be about 20 min from most of the Strip hotels. It's really not that far. A lot of that time is just getting away from the Strip. If you are going to the Mob Museum you might want to read this book. I got it from the library for free. https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Las-Ve.../dp/0929712374

Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 PM

One more thing..... If you want to do something fabulous for your birthday, go do this! Sunday mornings only! Sterling Brunch!

https://www.caesars.com/ballys-las-v...h#.XPqqIYhKiUk

Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,529,434 times
Aria has the best spa. Encore has the prettiest spa. Ceasars is also good.

There's a boutique hotel called The Cromwell. Ladies love to lunch there at Giada. You can find Groupons for it sometimes too. Look on Groupon and Living Social for discounts as well as 'tickets for tonight' box office on the strip for any shows you want to see at discounted prices. The Beatles show, Cirque show 'O', Michael Jackson show and Jersey Boys are all favorites. Not sure if they're all still playing though.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:44 AM

218 posts, read 71,070 times
You might want to check out skyauction.com for some good Vegas
housing deals. I always use that to book my timeshares when I
stay in Vegas. They have access to The Jockey Club, Polo Towers,
and the Carriage House (which are all basically on the strip).
Grand Wyndham Desert is a nice option as well (10 mins off strip)
and they have their own shuttle that runs from there to Harrahs
and Ballys I think it is. I have yet to stay at the Tahiti Village
which is down by the Premium Outlets South and has a nice
lazy river and pool set.

I bought a set of vacation certificates from that site. Works for
RCI and Interval timeshares and you can search their site for
availability for your dates. I think it was $269 for the one week
voucher but I paid an extra $100 to lock in my upcoming August
reservation in a one room suite with full kitchen. But studios will run you
about $269 for the week and one bedrooms around $369. (no resort fees
and in general, no extra charges either).
Here is the search engine for that:
https://vacationrentalcertificates.com/

Craiglist - Las Vegas has been surprising helpful on my last few trips for
discounted show tickets. I've been to see One (the Michael
Jackson Cirque show) at $60 a seat....

Hope that helps!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 AM

149 posts, read 51,551 times
In past years admission to Mob Museum was free on Feb 14.May only be for locals though?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 2,076,354 times
Spend a little time on www.vegas.com

Most all of the Cirque shows are well worth it, as are La Reve and other high end shows. We recently saw Celestia at the Stratosphere and it was superb. I'm also a fan of Absinthe. Regarding All Shook Up which you mention - I've seen it and give it two thumbs up. We just saw Lady Gaga Friday night at The Park - absolutely fantastic. In the row behind us, there were nearly a dozen 70-something and 80-something women rocking out like they were 18 years old. If you like comedy, definitely check out Jimmy Kimmel's Comedy Club on the Linq Promenade between The Linq and The High Roller (another fun thing), and also The Comedy Cellar at The Rio Suites (modeled after the famed Comedy Cellar in NYC).

Regarding hotels, it all depends on your price point, which in turn depends on if it is a traditionally busy week/weekend. You only hit the 70 milestone once; treat yourself to a bit of luxury. Consider Encore, Wynn, Venetian, Palazzo, Caesars (newly renovated rooms), Bellagio, Cosmopolitan, Aria, Vdara, Mandarin Oriental & The Four Seasons. If you time it right, you can get a great rate.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM

699 posts, read 244,133 times
I don't think there really is a non-busy weekend on the strip. It might be busier sometimes but it could be busier from some thing you didn't think to look up. It's not just conventions.

I would just pick a nice hotel and deal with the crowds. Bellagio is probably our favorite as it's so central, everything is very nice there, and service is very good. Caesars is nice and central but not as nice as Bellagio to us. Wynn/Encore is really nice but so far away.

We like pool time and all the nice hotels have nice pools.

We really liked the neon museum. Mob museum too but especially like the neon. Short walk from Fremont Street to both of those.

There are endless great shows - all Cirque shows are good, we really liked magician Matt Franco, ventriloquist Terry Fator, and our favorite (if you are not easily offended) is Absinthe.

HAVE FUN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas