Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM

1,331 posts, read 645,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
What is your problem? I never said we were perfect parents. I want my 13yo to take online classes and I've mentioned it on this forum before. If you dont think that education will be done all online in the future I think you are naive.
I think he is suggesting that just because it may work for you does not mean it will work for everyone. I'm an advocate for doing things online (makes things quicker and more interactive) but on a long-term basis, having some sort of social activity will help the person grow as a human being.

Problem with the school system is there is too much politics. Change and innovation is slow in certain areas. If you notice, many online schools are created by entrepreneurs, not by government organizations (correct me if I am wrong).

Also, I would agree that the online world is very vulnerable. You have to know the difference between right and wrong, truth and lie, etc etc. We live in a world where you can get get all the information you need in a click of a button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:39 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,258,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I think he is suggesting that just because it may work for you does not mean it will work for everyone. I'm an advocate for doing things online (makes things quicker and more interactive) but on a long-term basis, having some sort of social activity will help the person grow as a human being.

Problem with the school system is there is too much politics. Change and innovation is slow in certain areas. If you notice, many online schools are created by entrepreneurs, not by government organizations (correct me if I am wrong).

Also, I would agree that the online world is very vulnerable. You have to know the difference between right and wrong, truth and lie, etc etc. We live in a world where you can get get all the information you need in a click of a button.

I agree about the social aspect, but really we don't need school to satisfy that need. Kids can be enrolled extra curricular activites outside of school.

Kids going to school can easily get information online just as a kid doing virtual learning can google to find their answers. I had to tell my 13yo she is doing herself a disservice by googling answers. Google won't help her with a proctored exam. Nothing is perfect, but I really believe online/home learning is the best solution.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
If education was open to the private sector, salaries would plummet. Look at Bishop Gorman and Faith Lutheran as examples - they pay substantially less than CCSD.

No industry is safe from our government handing out work permits/visas or hiring illegal labor to undercut American workers. CCSD hires hundreds of teachers from the Philippines each year to teach special education positions they can't fill because the government lets them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you are saying that CCSD should just not fill the positions? Special ed kids go to school and spend their day sitting in class rooms with no teachers?

Seems pretty smart to me. And more than a little biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I've seen countless illogical conclusions teaching mathematics to teenagers the past decade, yet I'm still baffled as to how you came to this one.

CCSD has hundreds positions that go unfilled every year. School starts in 3 weeks and there's currently 690 openings.

If the district cared about making sure every child had a teacher, they would increase pay to attract more people to the profession.
The fallacy in your position is glaringly obvious. First you complain that he government "lets" CCSD hire teachers from the Philippines and that is the root of the problem, or at least one of them. Then you make some asinine comment regarding an illogical conclusion. Step three? Complain again. This time regarding 690 openings for teachers not being filled.

And all of this is because of supposedly low pay that is acceptable to teachers from the Philippines but not the U.S.

In another post you state this:

Quote:
The government obliges, third world workers come in and then send the money that would otherwise be in the pockets of Americans overseas to help their families.
So now you are telling me that teachers from the Philippines can afford to live here, working as a teacher, for the same pay American teachers get and still send money to their families. That says something about the expectations American teachers have.

I have the feeling that the news about working in the CCSD has traveled far and wide and teachers who are good at their job won't put up with the working conditions here so they never apply.

If you are as vocal about this at work as you are here I, for one, would not want to work around you. I avoid negative people like the plague. I wonder how many possible future teachers read this thread and others like and change their mind.

Wouldn't that be a hoot? A shortage of teachers because you paint such a negative picture.

Your argument that the entire reason is pay seems bogus.

I have always been a supporter of teachers. You are changing my mind.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
What is your problem? I never said we were perfect parents. I want my 13yo to take online classes and I've mentioned it on this forum before. If you dont think that education will be done all online in the future I think you are naive.
And you are naive if you think it will work as well as you hope. Do you not read about home life for teens? Absentee parents? Parents who have no discipline and give none?

I read earlier that the online classes are monitored. So? If the student doesn't take the classes or the tests who does something about it? Parents. The same ones that don't do anything now.

Fools folly.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you are naive if you think it will work as well as you hope. Do you not read about home life for teens? Absentee parents? Parents who have no discipline and give none?

I read earlier that the online classes are monitored. So? If the student doesn't take the classes or the tests who does something about it? Parents. The same ones that don't do anything now.

Fools folly.

We will always have some people fall through the cracks no matter what the situation is. That's life, we can only do so much.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,634,228 times
A straightforward and simple solution to truancy and getting kids to care about academics would be to limit drivers licenses to those who graduate from high school with a minimum GPA.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
A straightforward and simple solution to truancy and getting kids to care about academics would be to limit drivers licenses to those who graduate from high school with a minimum GPA.
I like it, but most teens would drive anyway. Source: Personal experience.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
We will always have some people fall through the cracks no matter what the situation is. That's life, we can only do so much.
They way I see it "so much" is simply not enough. That's the attitude that ended us up in this woe begotten state in the first place.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I like that idea.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,070,017 times
I am no expert, but I am noticing a significant decline in the interest of teens to drive nowadays. Apparently they are content using Uber and Lyft to primarily get around.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: