Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 654,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
The eternal Boomer everyone. Zero understanding of today's economy.
I'm considered a millennial. As for the economy.....ok yea, everyone nowadays considers themselves an "expert" on the economy. Anyways who complains about being poor and jobs being taken.....I find it amusing. There are so many people who hustled and found opportunities. Opportunities are out there. Just gotta go out and take them.

But we are going so far off topic now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:48 PM

386 posts, read 261,827 times
This is an interesting book to read about a certain segment of the Boomer population:

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-So.../dp/0316395781

Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
As for the economy.....ok yea, everyone nowadays considers themselves an "expert" on the economy.
Understanding that labor costs go down when demand for a job increases does not make one an expert on the economy. This is Day 1 in an introductory economics class in college, but you dismissed college as a "piece of paper to make their ego and confidence swell up like a balloon".

Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 PM

848 posts, read 648,085 times
08Grad,

I think my following post got lost in subsequent posts. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the following:

While this does not impact us directly because we home educate our kids, I am curious how much you think the new charter schools are affecting CCSD. If my understanding is correct, the per pupil funding which typically would go to a CCSD school is being directed to the charter schools when parents elect to send their kids to these schools.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Anyways who complains about being poor and jobs being taken.....I find it amusing. There are so many people who hustled and found opportunities. Opportunities are out there. Just gotta go out and take them.

Absolutely. I've been hustling and working for myself for 3 years. I actually have too much going on to get it all done. Anyone complaining right now is just flat out lazy.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Understanding that labor costs go down when demand for a job increases does not make one an expert on the economy. This is Day 1 in an introductory economics class in college, but you dismissed college as a "piece of paper to make their ego and confidence swell up like a balloon".
I never said it made anyone an expert. You implied I did not know anything about economics. Now you quote a post I made a long time ago. I would assert the idea that a DEGREE is used by many people as a way to pompously justify how smart they are. While a degree is great to have, it does not mean you are the smartest person in the world and does not give you the right to act superior over others. Having a degree and being educated are two different things. Unfortunately, modern-day society has equated "being educated" with having a college degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Absolutely. I've been hustling and working for myself for 3 years. I actually have too much going on to get it all done. Anyone complaining right now is just flat out lazy.
Yea, lots of jobs being created nowadays. Not all jobs will be your "ideal job" but ***, a job is a job.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Having a degree and being educated are two different things
Having a degree, being educated, being intelligent and being wise are four different things.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You implied I did not know anything about economics.
Your inability to draw a connection between the demand for a position and it's salary proves you know nothing about economics.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Having a degree, being educated, being intelligent and being wise are four different things.
True, good point.

Quote:
Your inability to draw a connection between the demand for a position and it's salary proves you know nothing about economics.
Ok, so my position that I am OK with hiring overseas (if those overseas workers come in legally and documented) means I know nothing about economics? You posted your position saying you are AGAINST hiring overseas because Americans would suffer. I questioned you because you stated that you believe the school district hires people from overseas because the cost of labor is cheap and they want to fill in a position high in demand.

So basically.....me questioning you on your belief that hiring people from overseas will hurt Americans AND that the school district is hiring overseas because the cost is lower means I know nothing about economics? Is that correct?

Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
08Grad,

I think my following post got lost in subsequent posts. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the following:

While this does not impact us directly because we home educate our kids, I am curious how much you think the new charter schools are affecting CCSD. If my understanding is correct, the per pupil funding which typically would go to a CCSD school is being directed to the charter schools when parents elect to send their kids to these schools.
It hurts, but only about 10% of the students in Clark County attend charter schools at the secondary level. Private schools take some as well.

The big ones (Population >600) are the following:

Somerset Academy (6432 students, K-12)
Doral Academy Red Rock (4053 students, K-10)
Pinecrest Academy of Nevada Cadence (3716 students, K-10)
Coral Academy of Science Las Vegas Sandy Ridge (2728 students, 6-12)

There's also the online schools:

Nevada Connections Academy (3091 students, K-12)
Nevada Virtual Academy (2052 students, K-12)

I might be missing some, not an expert on charter schools.

If you add them all up, that's 22,000 students spread out over a combined 68 grades. I'd guess 2,000 students are graduating from charter schools compared to 32,000 graduating from CCSD.

They're really hit and miss and in many cases you're better off attending the zoned school.

Somerset Skypointe scores worse than Arbor View, and far worse than NW Tech and Cadwallader MS.
Doral Academy (Red Rock) scores worse than Becker MS, and far worse than Rogich MS.
Pinecrest Academy (Cadence) scores much better than Brown MS.
Coral Academy scores slightly better than Miller/Webb and Coronado.
The online schools score below the state average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: