Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 AM

927 posts, read 883,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If you have seen the homework you would know it's a joke that doesn't teach anything.
My daughter is 14. Her homework consisted of search words, math she could do in 1st grade, and a little bit of reading. They don't TEACH anything useful. The problem is not with me. I teach them as much as I can.
But these schools have them for 8 hours a day 180 days a year. They're wasting children's time, parent's time, and our money.
Teachers don't give homework anymore. There's no reason to. The students won't do it and if too many of their students are failing, they won't have a job in the school district. This all stems from the school district's vision to make sure that 90% of students are graduating, even though less than 1/3 are at grade level.

And it's not just homework. I have to tread lightly when I have any sort of rigor in my class. If the students didn't study for a test and failed it, I'll be told by admin that I have to curve it, allow re-tests, and stay before/after school for tutoring.

This kind of garbage is how you end up with schools like Sunrise Mountain who have a 92.21% graduation rate (2017 numbers) but an average ACT score of 14.3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 AM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm not a parent of school aged children, but I did find that blog interesting. I still do not understand what a dean did for CCSD.

For example:
Each day I was responsible for keeping 1600 kids safe. <== But what did you do?

Each day I worked 10 hours shifts at minimum. <== so does every professional, except for those who work longer hours. BTW, no professional works a "shift." What did you do?

I don’t take a lunch break, I try to eat while I work and some days I don’t eat at all. <== so does most every professional What did you do?

Some weeks I only saw my own child to say goodnight due to my career choice. <== same with every professional. What did you do?

I frequently worked at home and on weekends-I didn’t get paid anything extra. <== why would you? that's true for every professional. What did you do?
They don't do anything. Their hands are tied. The district won't let you suspend students anymore. Even when students are doing things like dealing drugs, bringing guns onto campus, the worst the district does is move them to the next school over with a clean slate, since they closed a lot of the behavioral schools.

Dean's offices are nothing more than time-out rooms for defiant students. It can be done for much cheaper than what they were paid. That's why they're trying to hire them back as "behavioral strategists" at a much lower salary. And if not, they can become a teacher again.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:11 AM

158 posts, read 175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
They don't do anything. Their hands are tied. The district won't let you suspend students anymore. Even when students are doing things like dealing drugs, bringing guns onto campus, the worst the district does is move them to the next school over with a clean slate, since they closed a lot of the behavioral schools.

Dean's offices are nothing more than time-out rooms for defiant students. It can be done for much cheaper than what they were paid. That's why they're trying to hire them back as "behavioral strategists" at a much lower salary. And if not, they can become a teacher again.
What do you thing is the reason that CCSD doesn’t want to suspend students who clearly don’t belong in the classroom? Who do they think this is helping?

Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
What do you thing is the reason that CCSD doesn’t want to suspend students who clearly don’t belong in the classroom? Who do they think this is helping?

Money. They get paid by the student.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
All of the behavior issues could be solved by sending misbehaving students home and forcing them to take classes online through the Nevada Learning Academy.

That's how you hit these parents - by removing their access to free daycare. It's the only thing they care about.
Unfortunately, that is simply not an option. We are a "no-Expulsion" school, so students don't get expelled and suspensions are rare. Plus, most behavioral issues are minor when taken out of context (kid talks to his buddies a lot, laughs during lectures, etc.) but when added together become major issues. Add in the fact that they simply do not care about academics and you have a perfect storm for a terrible education system. Compare to Massachusetts schools where the kids are highly motivated comparatively. My school is a "high achieving" school for Las Vegas and we actually have a lower rating on proficiency in English than the worst schools in Boston.

Plus, you are trying to apply logical parenting to people who clearly already failed miserably as parents if their HIGH SCHOOL AGED KIDS still act like idiots. By HS a kid should be focused on their future. If they aren't, it's the fault of the parents in most cases. Obviously, there are exceptions but if parents instilled quality values before age 10, high schools would not have discipline issues for the most part.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Please elaborate why homeschool sucks. We home educate our children, and it has been the best choice we could have made. My oldest child, who should be starting high school in the fall, is actually looking to take advantage of UNLV's Dual Enrollment Program instead which allows students who are at the high school level to take college classes on campus and earn credit. Our children have actually been able to explore and develop their unique interests with all of the time we have saved by opting out of school, and this takes into account that we still require them to be proficient in reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Because most parents aren't equipped to educate their kids, and home school does not prepare you for anything in the real world other than working by yourself in an environment perfectly tailored to you. There is no socialization with regular people and people of all different backgrounds. Much of what you learn in school happens outside of the lesson plans. It also teaches your kids that the only authority to follow should be their parents, as they aren't exposed to dozens of different authority figures like traditionally schooled children are. There are so many disadvantages to home schooling and few advantages that can't be achieved by finding a well-fit private or charter school.

Plus, most home school situations are not led by a person who would be qualified to be a teacher: one survey found that 11% of homeschool "teachers" didn’t complete high school, 20% had completed high school or received a GED, 30% had vocational, technical, or at least some college training, 25% obtained a Bachelor’s degree, and 14% went on to graduate or professional school.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This nonsense about raising the sales tax a quarter cent for schools etc is a NON-STARTER! We already have one of the HIGHEST sales tax rates in the entire country. I've already emailed the commissioners and will continue calling to tell them to vote no on this. I encourage others to do the same, let them know we won't stand for this.
So? Would you really be impacted that much by a 1% increase on your sales taxes?
I spend like $1,000/mo on things that would be taxed by a sales tax, at most, so that would be a $10 monthly increase in my expenses. Meanwhile, if that was collected from 1,000,000 people, that would be $10,000,000/mo in revenue for the city to go directly to our INCREDIBLY UNDERFUNDED schools. As a consumer, the amount tacked on by sales tax is minimal and it's better than an income-based increase because at least with a sales tax increase, I could make a conscious decision not to pay it by consuming less. Plus, our sales taxes are actually lower than Arizona, California several other states AND WE DO NOT HAVE STATE TAXES.

Some people are just too greedy. This would be the least painful way to add funding to our painfully underfunded schools.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:45 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
one survey found that 11% of homeschool "teachers" didn’t complete high school
Post a link.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Lots of statistics...

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling...-demographics/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Post a link.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
School sucks so who cares if the home school people didn't finish school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: