Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,932 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I am taking up a new job in North Las Vegas. Not being very familiar with the city, I am looking for advice on which part of the city I should live in. Without wanting to sound impossible, I like living in quiet residential areas, but after hearing about the traffic, I am not fans of a long commute. My workplace is near Craig and Pecos

I would appreciate any inside info anyone might be able to provide.
Thank you

Last edited by cyphertx71; 12-20-2006 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
For Pecos and Craig just head north. There is a pocket of reasonable housing tucked in the area between Pecos and 15 and 215. El Dorado...north of Craig and El Camino Norte is reasonably nice and a little more upscale.

You can go a little further west and north. Aliante and such.. Still within a 15 minute commute.

Lots of options...but go north...never south.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,932 times
Thank you very much for the tips. You've given me some starting points. I was feeling lost.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
I would just stay away from living in North Las Vegas altogether. Anything that Hollywood touches, should be fine, Aliante might be ok, its just too far from anything. Farther west would be better, in my opinion. But Olecapt is right, it is better to go northwest, than southeast from what your talking about.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
I wouldn't live anywhere that has a "North Las Vegas" address... but that's just me. If you are really far out in Aliante it would be okay but it is really far out.

And keep in mind that olecapt is a realtor, you know what they are...used car salesmen. :-)

Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 AM

And you might also note that Redwingfan does not care for Las Vegas and lacks any real knowledge of its geography or neighborhoods.

North Las Vegas has difficult areas in the southern portion...generally below Craig. Above Craig is nice to very nice. Schools are fine and crime is low.

Your situation is a very good one for living in places like Aliante and northern NLV. The Pecos and Craig work location makes your commute from anywhere in that section easy.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:24 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Yes, Aliante is really far out. But the Waterfall community is even farther. Some people like living as far away from the muck as possible, myself included.
And the farther away from the muck, the nicer the neighborhoods.

The people that wouldn't live in NLV are most likely the people that think all of NLV consists of the area on MLK over to Cheyenne/15 corridor. Really crappy area. They should just rename that whole area "Ghettoville." It has nothing to do with farther north like Olecapt said.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Yes, Aliante is really far out. But the Waterfall community is even farther. Some people like living as far away from the muck as possible, myself included.
And the farther away from the muck, the nicer the neighborhoods.

The people that wouldn't live in NLV are most likely the people that think all of NLV consists of the area on MLK over to Cheyenne/15 corridor. Really crappy area. They should just rename that whole area "Ghettoville." It has nothing to do with farther north like Olecapt said.
Hey PS whaddaya picking on me for. Last time I looked Aliante is north of Craig. There are actually a couple of quite nice areas south of Craig...but you need to know your way around. Simpler for newbys to ignore the exceptions until they know their way around.

I don't consider Aliate very far out. Tule Springs and Log Cabin are far out. Aliante is only at 215. Far out is five miles north of that. Any community split by a major freeway can never be far out.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 23,559 times
Aliante is an age-restricted community (55+). So if the original poster doesn't qualify, then he is getting pointed in the wrong direction.

Green Valley is a very peaceful, quiet community.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Aliante is not age-restricted, just Sun City is...

Green Valley is not peaceful, we had 2 helicopters today circling the area saying something on the megaphone, we always hear sirens, then you have all the school bells, the traffic, and parties, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas