Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,253,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yes, it seems brush fires really are a problem in Clark County.

https://www.hppr.org/post/clark-coun...-aren-t-giving
Come on - That is not even a little funny.

We do get range fires but they are mostly not that serious and can generally be contained with a little care on the landscaping. This is not a CA forest area.

For those who missed it it is not this Clark County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,051,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Come on - That is not even a little funny.

We do get range fires but they are mostly not that serious and can generally be contained with a little care on the landscaping. This is not a CA forest area.

For those who missed it it is not this Clark County.

Some people use google to find an article title that proves their point and then post it without reading it. I do the same thing except I always read the article first! Clark Country, Kansas.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 PM

628 posts, read 395,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just watched you on the news. Thank you for doing this. I think most people living here had no idea you could be fined $1200 for throwing out a cigarette. The fine does not match the crime.

I am still convinced this was some sort of set up. In all my years as an officer I can tell you for sure this is not something officers look for. I have written tickets for littering but 1 cigarette butt would never have occurred to me unless I had been ordered to do it and LOOK for this particular offense.

Sorry this happened to you!
Thank you. It's great to hear you say this especially from someone with your background.

I had no idea this story would be picked up nationwide. It is actually quite vindicating. A station in Richmond, VA. picked up this story. That is the headquarters of Phillip Morris.

Call me the king of wishful thinking, but phillip morris could step up and reimburse me.

Just google man fined 1174.00 and you will get a ton of hits on my story.

NLVPD's response was pathetic, oh and that officer's sergeant will be getting back to me soon, maybe not misconduct, but possibly an abuse of power. I am sure he could have chosen a lesser fine for this "ordinance violation" which somehow ends up being a misdemeanor conviction.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I knew someone who was arrested for spitting on the sidewalk in downtown Las Vegas. Yes, unknown to many, there's a fine for spitting on a city sidewalk. Fine: $150

I smoke myself, and I've never flicked a cigarette out a car window or even walking down the street. It really angers me to see someone do that.

And I'll bet they're not handing out huge fines for loud stereo's in cars. In Edmonton, Alberta now, they have Noise Radar, first of its kind. Drive around that city with a loud stereo in your car and a photo is taken of the vehicle and you get your ticket in the mail.
I totally understand how you feel about this. I apologized twice to the two officers and I did apologize again during my interview. We both know how much of a rebel I am. That's an inside reference between me and TJ

Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,015,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Some people use google to find an article title that proves their point and then post it without reading it. I do the same thing except I always read the article first! Clark Country, Kansas.

That whoosh you heard was the joke going over your head.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I totally understand how you feel about this. I apologized twice to the two officers and I did apologize again during my interview. We both know how much of a rebel I am. That's an inside reference between me and TJ
Now I've lost faith in law enforcement and the media.

The comments on facebook make the criticism here on this forum seem like a kindergarten class.

Such hatred, are those people all pillars of the community? If I give in to the temptation to respond on facebook, then my full name will be revealed.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,220,740 times
Saw you on the news twice. Last night and the 11am news as well today. You have to ignore the idiots on Facebook. Many of them seem to have nothing better to do than to attack everyone in every post. I quit posting in political threads because of that. Such hatred. I was attacked once by a lot of people for posting about how terrible tasting a non dairy creamer was. That is pathetic.

There is a way to respond on Facebook without them knowing it's you. Make another profile with a nice fake name. Easy to do. People make pages for their pets, and some of my family/friends have other personas so they can help themselves with game rewards.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 AM

464 posts, read 284,383 times
I believe in "deterrent" type fines and sentencing for things that are hard to enforce... hard to catch people doing.

The "normal" fine for something like littering I could see as $100 max, maybe more for a lit object.

But, let's say my town is awash in litter... we just don't seem to be able to catch the offenders often enough, okay, then perhaps I would see the fine doubled to $200, and would feel that was excessive, and rightly so considering our situation...

Now if that doesn't do it, perhaps it could go higher.

There was a 60 Minutes piece some years ago about Louisiana cops pulling over and citing people for "ambiguous" offenses like "improper lane usage."

And it just so happened, out of state cars, nicer ones were being impounded... they want to make sure these out of state people show up to court.

It also just so happens that the towing and fines and storage fees etc come out to about what the car is worth used...

And they found out for sure how much the cars were worth as so many ended up going to auction.

(They even had the nerve to see the money split with the police dept and judges as benefitting...)

Now, it was estimated the bad press from this cost Louisiana $130 million in lost tourist revenue that year.

"What happens in Vegas... doesn't always "stay" in Vegas," word gets out, and while your story might deter folks from littering, who knows how much it could cost in tourist dollars.

Sorry to hear about it, but glad you were able to deal with it and come away from it in good spirit.

"Nellis" was one of my picks on my Air Force "Dream Sheet," too bad I ended up in New Mexico!

Thx

Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Saw you on the news twice. Last night and the 11am news as well today. You have to ignore the idiots on Facebook. Many of them seem to have nothing better to do than to attack everyone in every post. I quit posting in political threads because of that. Such hatred. I was attacked once by a lot of people for posting about how terrible tasting a non dairy creamer was. That is pathetic.

There is a way to respond on Facebook without them knowing it's you. Make another profile with a nice fake name. Easy to do. People make pages for their pets, and some of my family/friends have other personas so they can help themselves with game rewards.
I was hesitant to smoke for the camera and I should have trusted my instincts. Even if I did create a fake facebook profile, the arguments would be never ending. I even asked the reporter to take down the facebook post because I was literally nauseous after reading the posts.

Now I have to hope this all goes away and that I will be able to keep my job. I was naive to think that the majority of people would understand that this was not a fair punishment.

Maybe I wanted vengeance against the police and it really blew up in my face. The reporter will gain notoriety from doing this interview and I guess I was living in the past thinking more smokers would take my side. There are one or two brave souls on facebook who agree the fine was out of hand.

I will just block the post, because the temptation to lash back out at those people is just too strong.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,261,646 times
It's too bad you didn't go to a ticket fixer. They probably could have got it dismissed for a first time offense or at the very least got the fine lowered.

I understand you have nervousness issues and couldn't wait but now it's on your record and you're on a National emotional roller coaster.

Try to put it all behind you and no more of your energy into it. I used to work in TV news like Buzz123. The story will pass in a few days when the next thing catches the nations attention.

I hope you do something that relaxes you. For me it's spa days. Sorrry you're going through this. Cyber hugs (((WVH))).

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 06-19-2019 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas