Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:12 PM

15,789 posts, read 14,392,651 times

Advertisements

What's happening with housing prices in LA? That'll tell you what will be happening to housing prices in LV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,535,237 times
LA is slowly upzoning. It's a long process because NIMBYs keep fighting each new proposed build, bus lane or transit project.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,258,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
LA is slowly upzoning. It's a long process because NIMBYs keep fighting each new proposed build, bus lane or transit project.
We seem to be making nimby into a bad thing. I live in the Lone Mountain RNP. The citizens of this neighborhood have been fighting since 1978 to hold the character of their neighborhood.

We have all sorts of housing from tumbling down shacks to multiple million estates. But we have maintained the quasi rural zoning of the area. And even in the last couple of weeks we fought off an attempt to down zone a parcel.

So you can move out here and keep horses or goats or chickens. And the roads all have soft shoulders so you can actually ride your horse if you wish. Our dog is fascinated by the goats. I think he believes they are very big dogs. But they rub noses at the fence.

Not sure we want to give this up so a developer can pop up a 6 story condo at the corner.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
What's happening with housing prices in LA? That'll tell you what will be happening to housing prices in LV.
There is some of that but not in the nicer suburbs. Our SILs street in Santa Monica is getting rebuilt but still with SFRs. The difference is that they are doubling and tripling in size but still single family. It is mostly individuals taken advantage of the lot size. Her place is a very large lot that could easily hold a 3500 SF two story but has only a 1500 SF Craftsman Cottage.

Our old neighborhood in OC is basically untouched. They were a set of large two stories on good sized lots. They have gone from $500K 25 years ago to $1.3 million today. But they are still upper middle family homes. And that is pretty well true for the whole area.

Similarly the beaches have gotten rebuilds but nothing which would really increase the density.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We seem to be making nimby into a bad thing.
It is a bad thing. It is the ultimate, "F you, I already got mine."

The northwest horse zoned location you are talking about is not really a good example of an area that should be upzoned, although I would argue that no place in Vegas should conform to SFR standards anymore. What I'm talking about are residents in places like Beverly Hills who try to block a subway line from running underneath their highschool because they're afraid of an explosion. When the real reason is that they don't want minorities passing through their town. That's just one example, but every time the city wants to implement traffic calming measures or permit a higher density multi family project, the old white people come out in droves against it.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
It is a bad thing. It is the ultimate, "F you, I already got mine."

The northwest horse zoned location you are talking about is not really a good example of an area that should be upzoned, although I would argue that no place in Vegas should conform to SFR standards anymore. What I'm talking about are residents in places like Beverly Hills who try to block a subway line from running underneath their highschool because they're afraid of an explosion. When the real reason is that they don't want minorities passing through their town. That's just one example, but every time the city wants to implement traffic calming measures or permit a higher density multi family project, the old white people come out in droves against it.
Interesting how you phrase it. I would suggest "Welcome aboard just follow the rules."

And we have a reasonable collection of Blacks and Hispanics.

In an area with thousands and thousands of vacant acreage there is no reason to drive high unless it happens to fit the area. If a drive was underway to convert the Naked City or Industrial to high rise I would think it a reasonable idea. Doing the same in the NW or good Henderson or Summerlin is basically dumb.
Creating a problem where none exists.

I was born and spent many years in upper Manhattan and the West Bronx. Literally born in sight of the Empire State Building of two who were also born in Manhattan. So I do not lack urban credentials. In fact at one point I was as good as anyone in the world in navigation the NY Subway. But that model requires an infrastructure that few places can manage. And it will be a disaster in the sprawling West.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Nah. Building and zoning laws need to change with the times. You've been gone from LA for a long time but I keep up with Cali and NYC housing/infrastructure projects as a hobby.

California is having a housing crisis. They have 60k homeless people that need homes TODAY. They also have around 600-700k people that are one paycheck away from being out on the street. LA County needs ~500k affordable homes, preferably near transit corridors or downtown Los Angeles itself.

But the projects keep getting blocked by homeowners at community meetings. It's a crisis and people can only think of themselves. Selfishness to the extreme. There's no other way to describe it.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Nah. Building and zoning laws need to change with the times. You've been gone from LA for a long time but I keep up with Cali and NYC housing/infrastructure projects as a hobby.

California is having a housing crisis. They have 60k homeless people that need homes TODAY. They also have around 600-700k people that are one paycheck away from being out on the street. LA County needs ~500k affordable homes, preferably near transit corridors or downtown Los Angeles itself.

But the projects keep getting blocked by homeowners at community meetings. It's a crisis and people can only think of themselves. Selfishness to the extreme. There's no other way to describe it.
You misunderstand the CA homeless thing. If they accommodate the 60,000 in two years they will have another 60,000 if not 80,000 in two more years. .If you are going to be homeless CA beats the heck out of virtually anywhere.

The homeless problem has to be solved by the USA not CA.

And we have strong ties to CA and are in pretty much constant contact. Still family ties to NYC but not nearly as tight. We even get certain medical care in LA.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 PM

341 posts, read 291,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
YouTube influencers? ...Instagram Thought Leaders? The f....???

You're serious???

As for people "fleeing California" you have two classes of people in that category: older conservative retirees who are too afraid to pay an 8% income tax (so awful to expect that after a lifetime of largess, after all ), and the younger welfare class with multiple children from multiple "baby daddies" who gobble up social service dollars. At some point, something's gotta give.

The younger generations with advanced degrees aren't "fleeing" California, but flocking to it. They're also not afraid to manage their money and pay taxes because they realize the benefits those taxes bring.

California will continue to attract talent and tech programmers who actually design things, not just make videos of themselves giving lame-ass advice.

The challenge for Las Vegas is going to be with tourism and keeping itself legit to a younger, more socially-conscious class of Millennial Californians who don't see a need for excess, gaudiness, showboating and bizarre sexual fetishes that must "happen in Vegas and stay in Vegas".
Uhhh..... you've heard of Youtube? Instagram? Uhh.....the internet? No??? .

Yes, yes, yes..... we're all painfully aware that everyone who's moving out of California is low class trash, thugs and broke old people. And we also know that everyone moving to California is highly educated, cultured, worldly and decidedly the most sophisticated individuals on the face of the earth. We get it. You aren't the only troll that has gone out their way to make it perfectly clear to Las Vegas residents the trash that they are. How many times must you repeat it??

What I don't understand is the trolls like yourself that feel the need to go out of your way to visit other state forums to talk up yourself and your state, while bashing the target state/city and it's inhabitants. Don't you have anything better to do with your time??

Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,052,158 times
"What happens next" is all going to depend on the upcoming FOMC meeting next week. The general consensus is they are going to cut the federal funds rate. If that happens, housing could resume its upward climb depending on how much they cut them. If they were to raise rates, which they will not, housing prices would go down. They are either going to cut them or keep them the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas