Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 06:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm pretty interested in Vegas. How many of you just leave Vegas in the summer? Seems to be the only drawback.
Why would you leave in the summer?

Old 02-21-2021, 06:26 PM

222 posts, read 385,248 times
Quote:
I'm pretty interested in Vegas. How many of you just leave Vegas in the summer? Seems to be the only drawback.
Summer is the best time of year here (as long as you have a private pool at your house, which really is a necessity)! We don’t even wear clothes outside between May and September!

Old 02-21-2021, 07:50 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Summer is the best time of the year. The heat feels awesome when I walk outside and when I am inside I crank up the AC with cheap electricity. Just don't forget to take water with you wherever you go and avoid direct sunlight for long periods.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpi View Post
Two points on cost of living compared to LA. Housing prices are less than half, everything being equal. Rentals can be had for $1G for a very decent condo or apartment, more for new developments. Gas is around $3 a gallon, food prices about the same, eating out 20% less or more.

Figure no CA 10.75% income tax is history, sales tax around the same.
Yep, the only thing you're missing is weather and the beach but a few people from Vegas tell me they visit the LA beaches more often because they can actually afford it now

Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! She’s 70 and I swear her house is 85.

I officially admit to being wrong about fans, though. They’re ghetto in Portland, sorry, they just are. They don’t work well and they look like you’re too poor for real AC. In Vegas, they WORK! Wow do they work. I’ve been sleeping with it at 75 with the ceiling fan full blast. I can’t believe it. I can’t sleep over 68 usually and if I turn the fan off, 75 feels miserable. But with the fan on it’s downright cold. You locals are onto something. I wonder how much money it costs to run a fan, no idea, but it sure does work. Glad I learned before I moved into my house (we have pre-wire for fans but no actual fans).

Agreed. I love it! Walking outside and feeling heat at night is heaven to me. And 2-5 pm is when I was outside both days. I really didn’t mind at all. Given, it wasn’t that bad, 103 or so. I’ve been in 116 here and it sucked. I’d rather just not be outside in that.
more like too smart. You don't need AC in the PN. A fan is good enough.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Why would you leave in the summer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Summer is the best time of year here (as long as you have a private pool at your house, which really is a necessity)! We don’t even wear clothes outside between May and September!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Summer is the best time of the year. The heat feels awesome when I walk outside and when I am inside I crank up the AC with cheap electricity. Just don't forget to take water with you wherever you go and avoid direct sunlight for long periods.
I was thinking of maybe livign somewhere cooler for the summer, but maybe not?

Old 02-22-2021, 12:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
I was thinking of maybe livign somewhere cooler for the summer, but maybe not?
We enjoy the summer. The AM is virtually always quite nice. We may hide out in the late afternoon of very hot days...but even then our pets are on the patio sunbathing.

So maybe a couple of weeks total when we avoid the heat. But it is actually pretty rare.

And note that it is very common for very hot Las Vegas days to have very low humidity...which makes it much easier to stand. And it is always kind of interesting when you get out of the pool on a 110 day and find yourself shivering.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:02 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
I was thinking of maybe living somewhere cooler for the summer, but maybe not?
One year while living in Southwest Florida, I rented a place in Chicago for a month. I have family there, the weather is great in September and I love that city. While I was in Chicago, Hurricane Irma hit Naples, I was very glad to not be there!

Now I live in Vegas and may do it again (rent a place in Chicago) to escape the hottest time of year here. I don't think you need more than a month if even that. Lots of people who have homes in Florida only live there 6 months of the year when the humidity isn't oppressive - that's not an issue here.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
One year while living in Southwest Florida, I rented a place in Chicago for a month. I have family there, the weather is great in September and I love that city. While I was in Chicago, Hurricane Irma hit Naples, I was very glad to not be there!

Now I live in Vegas and may do it again (rent a place in Chicago) to escape the hottest time of year here. I don't think you need more than a month if even that. Lots of people who have homes in Florida only live there 6 months of the year when the humidity isn't oppressive - that's not an issue here.
That's funny. My long term plans may include a Vegas/Chicago split.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
If it weren't for the brutal summer weather there would be about 10 million people squeezed into Southern Nevada. While I could tolerate it, I didn't enjoy summers at all and eventually moved out because of it. But certainly if you live in Las Vegas you will find lots of people who can't wait for 100 degree days to start and be sad at the thought of an 80 degree high temperature day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas