Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,224,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The low humidity makes an enormous difference. It's hard to describe to people who aren't familiar with it on a day in, day out basis. Like 90 degrees here is NOT "hot," it's pleasant. But in Portland where I came from, 90 can be unpleasant -- it feels much hotter. Whereas here, even swimming in the low 80s requires me to put the pool temperature up above where I'd really like it normally (more like 88 versus 85 in the summer) because it just doesn't feel that warm outside. I pretty much subtract 10 degrees from our temperature to get an idea of what it really feels like.
My favorite is still the dog and the cat sunning in 105 degrees. And they both pick the sunny part of the covered brick patio with shade 3 or 4 feet from them. The only thing we do is keep them hydrated. My spouse will move a full water dish to where ever they are.

What all that showed was that furred creatures are actually thermoses. They do no get rid of heat through their skin but cool by aspiration. So they are pretty safe at any temperature as long as they have water.

And I personally find it cool getting out of the pool even at over 100. Towel off well and then wrap up until it starts to feel warm...

Old 03-02-2021, 06:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,224,305 times
I have pretty much tried it all.

Born in Manhattan. and for a couple of years.

Moved to rural Ohio as a toddler for a couple of years. Down on the river near the Indiana border.

Than Louisville KY where I grew up. There until 17. Than 6 months in the Army and back to Long Island for my last year of high school.

Moved to Queens for a couple of years including the death of my Dad.

Than upper Bronx including marriage to my high school sweetheart and graduating College with an EE degree.

Took a great job in Rochester NY. Went 35 years. Actually most of that time I worked in two cities with side expeditions. Did 1.5 decades in Rochester and two decades next to the airport in Los Angeles. (Actually lived in OC just over the Long Beach border.)

Finally took a temporary retirement residence in Las Vegas. Loved the dang place. Reasonably clear we will be planted there or in Long Beach. Up to my kids. Their mom is planted on a plot in Long Beach. Though my wife and I have discussed having our ashes thrown into the San Pedro channel. We were very fond of coastal LA and Santa Catalina. Had a mooring in Avalon for ten years.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 18,142 times
My mother retired just last year and moved to vegas from FL and LOVES it. Property is still affordable in comparison to Miami, weather is nice, sure you have a few months of excruciating heat but overall it's nice. Endless options for entertainment. I just moved from LA to Vegas last month and really love it as well, I could actually buy something and stop paying someone else mortgage and once shows come back I'll go often to the strip. If any one needs a great real estate agent DM. The lady we used sold my mom a house and me a house and was great.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:23 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,666,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound441 View Post
My mother retired just last year and moved to Vegas from FL and LOVES it. Property is still affordable in comparison to Miami, weather is nice, sure you have a few months of excruciating heat but overall it's nice. Endless options for entertainment. I just moved from LA to Vegas last month and really love it as well, I could actually buy something and stop paying someone else mortgage and once shows come back I'll go often to the strip. If any one needs a great real estate agent DM. The lady we used sold my mom a house and me a house and was great.
Welcome to Vegas! Glad it worked out for you and your mom.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:00 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,717,099 times
Always liked the Vegas area...being originally from SoCal i've been to Vegas more times than I can count but strangely never really considered it a place to live because I guess the entire Sin City image wasn't somewhere I really wanted to live but now that I think about it logically, LV has a lot to offer.

And if you want the ocean you can just get in your car and spend a weekend in LA but you don't have the absurd costs of living in SoCal, best of both worlds.

If you're a fan of the outdoors like I am it's proximity to Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, Zion and the Utah parks and even Joshua Tree makes it a great location. And in the winter there is Lee Canyon/Mt. Charleston for Snowboarding, I am a Snowboarder so that appeals to me as well, and SLC is also within reasonable driving distance if you want to go to Park City or Snowbird.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:38 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,550,745 times
Quote:
... you have a few months of excruciating heat ...
That's a myth. It rarely exceeds 115 in the summer.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:11 AM

395 posts, read 268,350 times
Quote:
I just moved from LA to Vegas last month and really love it as well, I could actually buy something and stop paying someone else mortgage and once shows come back I'll go often to the strip.
What part of LA? I love Santa Monica and Bel Air/Brentwood but you
get so much more for the money here in Las Vegas. The food choices
are just unlimited as well. I do miss being able to attend sporting events
at UCLA....I used to love going to the gymnastic meets and men's volleyball
games. (that's probably not the area of LA you were in but I thought I'd
ask just in case!)

What area of Las Vegas did you end up in? And welcome too!

Old 03-06-2021, 09:33 AM

1,086 posts, read 735,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
ask just in case!)

That area of LA is great for sure but the prices are insane. You can buy an uninhabitable teardown for $1.5m in many of those areas. Or maybe a little 2/1 for about that price if you get down closer to Olympic or Pico. It's insane! Plus traffic, no place to park, most everything is expensive, etc.... Easy to head back to LA for events though. Go Bruins!

Old 03-06-2021, 01:39 PM

I was in West Hollywood, I LOVE LA, but my rent was more then then my current mortgage. I miss the night life, even though in the past year it has been non existent. The food in vegas is just as good. I do miss friends, but working from home, I couldn't justify the high cost of rent. Honestly I have been saving so much $ living in Vegas. Plus LA is so close, I was there 3 weeks ago visiting and I got my LA fix without the high cost of living there.What part of LA are you from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
ask just in case!)

Old 03-06-2021, 01:40 PM

That's true, I just bought tickets for a concert next year at the Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
That area of LA is great for sure but the prices are insane. You can buy an uninhabitable teardown for $1.5m in many of those areas. Or maybe a little 2/1 for about that price if you get down closer to Olympic or Pico. It's insane! Plus traffic, no place to park, most everything is expensive, etc.... Easy to head back to LA for events though. Go Bruins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas