Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 06:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I would head up to Carson City, Reno areas to Dayton then maybe up to Fernley to Fallon.
What is your point?

I had good friends in Yerington for some years. It is nothing I would write home about. Some of the local pubs were neat...but that is about it. Unless you irrationally love rural it was the pits. When you drive into Yerington for urban you are in deep s**t. And the lady actually opened a store there.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:37 PM

1,047 posts, read 725,902 times
Default vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I'll give a GOOD part of Las Vegas. With all the negativity on this board a positive story might be welcome by some. We are moving to LV, finally, later this month. We have bought our house and are remodeling it. Our contractor let us know yesterday that we had a leak in our drip line, apparently water had been sprouting up, and a neighbor we have never met capped it off for us. I am excited to meet this nice neighbor. There are good people everywhere!
Hi,
What he did was humane and normal. We are very friendly w all the neighbors and do help each other once in a while. More if needed.
It doesn't change the overall integrity most lack here or the 5 month long 114 summers. I do hope you love it! You may.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,161 times
This is my first time on city-data.
But I am a Destination expert on Trip Advisor for Vegas.
No I have not lived there--but I've spent more days in that city than OP has lived there, lol.
As with ANY city--there is the good & the bad.
As with any situation, perspective & attitude are EVERYTHING.
I am an educator & NO WAY would I teach there.
But coming from the Mid-west (and having arthritis), Vegas weather is near perfect--hot & dry in the summer, moderate to cool in the winter. I love that I can sit on my patio in LV & have coffee in the AM & drinks in the PM nearly 365 days a year. I might need a jacket in the winter, but I cannot sit outside in the winter here. I may need to wait until after sunset in the summer--but even here, the humidity can make that uncomfortable even after sunset.
Not cultured? Guess museums & the Arts District don't count.
Plenty of hiking & lakes nearby.
Plenty of shows on/near the Strip.
Plenty of suburbs for "regular" life.
It's true, Vegas in many ways is like nowhere else.
And it isn't for everyone.
I'd love to live in SoCal but not comfortable with those housing prices...

Old 06-14-2021, 04:14 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB55 View Post
This is my first time on city-data.
But I am a Destination expert on Trip Advisor for Vegas.
No I have not lived there--but I've spent more days in that city than OP has lived there, lol.
As with ANY city--there is the good & the bad.
As with any situation, perspective & attitude are EVERYTHING.
I am an educator & NO WAY would I teach there.
But coming from the Mid-west (and having arthritis), Vegas weather is near perfect--hot & dry in the summer, moderate to cool in the winter. I love that I can sit on my patio in LV & have coffee in the AM & drinks in the PM nearly 365 days a year. I might need a jacket in the winter, but I cannot sit outside in the winter here. I may need to wait until after sunset in the summer--but even here, the humidity can make that uncomfortable even after sunset.
Not cultured? Guess museums & the Arts District don't count.
Plenty of hiking & lakes nearby.
Plenty of shows on/near the Strip.
Plenty of suburbs for "regular" life.
It's true, Vegas in many ways is like nowhere else.
And it isn't for everyone.
I'd love to live in SoCal but not comfortable with those housing prices...
It is difficult to get an accurate view of Las Vegas without living here. There are in fact those who want to live here and those who come here for the entertainment.

And the views are very different. We sell RE in Las Vegas working the NW and the mature segments mostly...Our views will be vastly different than one working the Strip and the entertainment.

And we find suburban Las Vegas very similar to suburban upstate NY and suburban OC CA.

We came here from OC. Financially a decision that cost us at least a half million dollars. But on balance we do not regret it. Much nicer to live in suburban LV Than nice OC. And we particularly like the RNPs sometime called the ranches or the horse properties.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I’ve never lived in Las Vegas. My only experience with the city is many trips over the years to the Strip. We have neighbors who have moved to LV and they are mostly positive about their relocation. What’s going on with the water situation?

The media is playing up stories about severe drought and dwindling water sources. They call the situation historic. Is it real or just hyped up media. Is there some sense locally of what the situation is and if future growth might be impacted.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
It's real.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:55 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I’ve never lived in Las Vegas. My only experience with the city is many trips over the years to the Strip. We have neighbors who have moved to LV and they are mostly positive about their relocation. What’s going on with the water situation?

The media is playing up stories about severe drought and dwindling water sources. They call the situation historic. Is it real or just hyped up media. Is there some sense locally of what the situation is and if future growth might be impacted.
I don't see why it would be any different than Arizona or California who also have water issues.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:41 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I don't see why it would be any different than Arizona or California who also have water issues.
CA is developing De-Sal plants, but we in AZ/NV can't do that, so we're dependent on the Colorado River.

No Governmental official, Real Estate Developer or Salesman is every going say there's not going to be enough water, that's a no-brainer!

If we do run dry out here, and there's a small or medium or large exodus, it will drive up prices in the Midwest and East Coast like you've never seen before.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:15 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
CA is developing De-Sal plants, but we in AZ/NV can't do that, so we're dependent on the Colorado River.

No Governmental official, Real Estate Developer or Salesman is every going say there's not going to be enough water, that's a no-brainer!

If we do run dry out here, and there's a small or medium or large exodus, it will drive up prices in the Midwest and East Coast like you've never seen before.
It won't happen like that unless say Hoover Dam falls apart. Water supplies run short and restrictions get harsh. No new growth allowed. Water taken from farms and businesses before residential. It won't cause an exodus, it will cause prices to go up because still demand to live in the area but no new growth to meet it.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

At this point de-salitation costs like 5 or 10 times as much as other water sources. We haven't been able to figure it out yet, in the US, on a cost effective basis. Maybe one day. Plus, if that ever really did happen then California could stop taking from the Colorado. I think we are going to be just fine. There isn't going to be a large exodus... or even a small exodus. That's simply not reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas