Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 10:52 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind. We're relocating to the West Coast & were stuck between NV & CA. I'd rather deal with liberals in CA than conservatives in NV, and Las Vegas sounds like a nightmare any way one looks at it. My friend keeps trying to persuade us to move there due to no income tax. I don't pay taxes anyway so...
Do you really think the rich in Beverly Hills pay CA's 13% income tax on those with high incomes? Any time taxes are raised on the rich, their tax consultants get richer. We can go back to the 50's when the tax rate was 90% and they're still not going to pay taxes, as long as the loopholes remain in place. Talk of raising taxes on the rich only make the ignorant poor feel better.

You could reinstate the state income tax in NV and would the rich pay it?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
As opposed to a modern city like ... Tijuana? Stuck in the 1860's.
And wouldn't it be nice to be stuck in the 1860's! We're talking legalized prostitution in the sin-less city of Las Vegas!

Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Do you really think the rich in Beverly Hills pay CA's 13% income tax on those with high incomes? Any time taxes are raised on the rich, their tax consultants get richer. We can go back to the 50's when the tax rate was 90% and they're still not going to pay taxes, as long as the loopholes remain in place. Talk of raising taxes on the rich only make the ignorant poor feel better.

You could reinstate the state income tax in NV and would the rich pay it?
I agree. We need to pass an amendment where only those who pay taxes have the right to vote. Stick it to those rich Beverly Hills people and let those who actually contribute to the system have their voices heard.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I agree. We need to pass an amendment where only those who pay taxes have the right to vote. Stick it to those rich Beverly Hills people and let those who actually contribute to the system have their voices heard.
Completely agree.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 AM

Art Museums have nothing to do with snobbery. Artists can be very prophetic, ahead of the times. Someone asked Picasso, during the 30's at the advent of WWII, why he painted such ugly and insane characters and his response:

The world is growing uglier and more insane every day, why paint something beautiful!

And, indeed, prophetically so, the world has grown uglier and more insane by the day!

At the Getty Museum last year, I noticed a dozen school buses in the parking ramp, teachers taking their students for museum tours.

That's what's so sadly, pathetically lacking in Las Vegas, an avenue for schoolchildren to experience art works.

The alternative to museums, is allowing graffiti artists to paint murals all around town. And with the hundreds of miles of walls in Las Vegas, there's lots of "canvasses" for graffiti art. Many cities today now have graffiti art bus tours. Las Vegas spends $30 million a year removing graffiti, some of it I deem true art work, that should stay on the walls, to be preserved. And how about taking a portion of that $30 million and hiring top-notch graffiti artists to paint murals around our city, not just in the Art District or downtown. But I'm forgetting how conservative Las Vegas is!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
Art Museums have nothing to do with snobbery. Artists can be very prophetic, ahead of the times. Someone asked Picasso, during the 30's at the advent of WWII, why he painted such ugly and insane characters and his response:

The world is growing uglier and more insane every day, why paint something beautiful!

And, indeed, prophetically so, the world has grown uglier and more insane by the day!

At the Getty Museum last year, I noticed a dozen school buses in the parking ramp, teachers taking their students for museum tours.

That's what's so sadly, pathetically lacking in Las Vegas, an avenue for schoolchildren to experience art works.

The alternative to museums, is allowing graffiti artists to paint murals all around town. And with the hundreds of miles of walls in Las Vegas, there's lots of "canvasses" for graffiti art. Many cities today now have graffiti art bus tours. Las Vegas spends $30 million a year removing graffiti, some of it I deem true art work, that should stay on the walls, to be preserved. And how about taking a portion of that $30 million and hiring top-notch graffiti artists to paint murals around our city, not just in the Art District or downtown. But I'm forgetting how conservative Las Vegas is!

So Picasso prophesized the Spanish civil war after it happened. More genius from an overrated hack.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:

I forgot - where did you get your JD & LLM in Taxation? Where did you get your accounting degree? Which wealth management firm did you launch to become rich?

There are no tax loopholes anymore. They do not exist.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I forgot - where did you get your JD & LLM in Taxation? Where did you get your accounting degree? Which wealth management firm did you launch to become rich?

There are no tax loopholes anymore. They do not exist.
To be fair, she may be referring to the CA tax code, which still may have write-offs that no longer exist in the federal code. I have no idea and don't really care. I left there 10+ years ago and never looked back. All that said, I agree with the point you are making.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Back in the 50's, with the tax bracket at 90%, how oh how oh how, during that period, Reagan was able to purchase a home in Pacific Palisades and have a ranch out in the San Fernando Valley?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
So Picasso prophesized the Spanish civil war after it happened. More genius from an overrated hack.
WWI ended, WWII was just beginning, and think of what those artists went through during that period! A period when the Dadaists and Surrealists came along. And, at that time, the world seemed surreal. Then along came Abstract Art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas