Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:33 PM

395 posts, read 272,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Scary, but also believe it’s true. Man, can’t believe how old Denzel Washington is looking, must be a bad picture.
Seriously? I thought it was Morgan Freeman!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I wonder are most people truly that heat-averse? It was 103 today and felt completely fine to me. I’ll be the first to say it’s not great once it hits 110 which it does but I don’t see the big deal. Air conditioning works great, interior temp feels the same anywhere you live, and 100 in Vegas doesn’t feel very hot unless you’re outside working in the direct sun for hours. But I found it downright pleasant today at 103, I loved it! I wasn’t wishing for any cooler weather. This is what I like! I guess I’ll count myself lucky most people like cold weather, because they consider LA’s 70s “perfect.” Eh, no. Way too cold in that city way too much of the time. I would prefer 100 to 70 by far!

Old 08-01-2019, 11:26 PM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
The heat doesn't affect me unless it hits 105 or above. The sun though, its brutal.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:12 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
There's very little "educating" that's actually happening in public schools. You would know this if you were slightly knowledgeable about the situation.
I actually agree with this. I know a lot of public school teachers. What's happened to public schools in this country is a sick, sick joke. It's a combination of cut-throat economics, sh--ty parenting, social instability and transiency, political posturing, a deeply rooted anti-education ethos and culture in the US, religious fundamentalism and lowered expectations.

Even in the really good school districts, students are just being spoon-fed some warmed over curriculum that some lobbyist at the state capitol paid a lot of money to have legislated into the school system.

In the worst districts, it's a case of just making sure nobody is injured or killed during your work hours. And, if someone is injured or killed, make sure you have documented everything and created a "paper trail" for legal purposes!

My hat goes off to public school teachers!

Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I wonder are most people truly that heat-averse? It was 103 today and felt completely fine to me. I’ll be the first to say it’s not great once it hits 110 which it does but I don’t see the big deal. Air conditioning works great, interior temp feels the same anywhere you live, and 100 in Vegas doesn’t feel very hot unless you’re outside working in the direct sun for hours. But I found it downright pleasant today at 103, I loved it! I wasn’t wishing for any cooler weather. This is what I like! I guess I’ll count myself lucky most people like cold weather, because they consider LA’s 70s “perfect.” Eh, no. Way too cold in that city way too much of the time. I would prefer 100 to 70 by far!
Jonathan, some of heat sensitivity is age related. An elderly person's body has more difficulty with body temperature regulation than that same person did when they were middle-aged, let alone in their 20s or 30s. Ditto for infants: an infant's body is not good at body temperature regulation.

I find the summertime weather here quite pleasant, as do you, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Not much to do?!? What could you possibly want to do that isn’t offered in the entertainment capital of the world?? You have hiking, sports, concerts, shows, swimming, great dining, everything imaginable a person could do in life is available in Vegas. I’ve lived in SoCal, it sucks, there’s definitely not anything better offered there sorry to tell you. I couldn’t wait to get out and I work in film! I still couldn’t handle it.

I always laugh about the “lack of culture” comments, because what people mention is opera, symphony, and theater - who in gods name in 2019 ever does ANY of that?! My social circle includes people of net worths between $10-500 million and not one of them - not one! - ever goes to plays or operas or symphonies. They golf, they go boating, they travel a lot, they attend high profile sports events, they aren’t pretentious clowns. I have no idea how anyone could even think in 2019 to define “culture” as boring crap everyone hates. I’m so glad not to know any of these kinds of people.

As for the rest of the good, cold to me is Los Angeles for the first 6 months of the year or Newport Beach all year around including summer. It’s rare for LA to get much above 70 for January - June and also December. It’s a much colder climate and I didn’t care for it one bit. I prefer the heat! So if you like warm weather, there you go. No income taxes. Not as many radical liberals. Far better quality of living for far less money. Bars don’t close at lame hours. Traffic is minimal. It’s paradise compared to LA!
MLB and the NBA....but Phoenix and LA are close enough to satisfy that occasional ‘itch’, so I don’t think lacking those two things should be a big deal to anyone who isn’t a diehard re either or both.

Last edited by RMESMH; 08-02-2019 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Corrected one character typo

Old 08-02-2019, 06:09 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Jonathan, some of heat sensitivity is age related. An elderly person's body has more difficulty with body temperature regulation than that same person did when they were middle-aged, let alone in their 20s or 30s. Ditto for infants: an infant's body is not good at body temperature regulation.

I find the summertime weather here quite pleasant, as do you, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Many retire to Arizona and Nevada because of the heat, not in spite of it. As have I.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Try enjoy the heat of Vegas without being inside all the time, especially 2-5PM: true colors of Vegas. I was outside during my stay there. It's not going to keep me inside. Remember: it's the area's reality for the entire summer.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! She’s 70 and I swear her house is 85.

I officially admit to being wrong about fans, though. They’re ghetto in Portland, sorry, they just are. They don’t work well and they look like you’re too poor for real AC. In Vegas, they WORK! Wow do they work. I’ve been sleeping with it at 75 with the ceiling fan full blast. I can’t believe it. I can’t sleep over 68 usually and if I turn the fan off, 75 feels miserable. But with the fan on it’s downright cold. You locals are onto something. I wonder how much money it costs to run a fan, no idea, but it sure does work. Glad I learned before I moved into my house (we have pre-wire for fans but no actual fans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Many retire to Arizona and Nevada because of the heat, not in spite of it. As have I.
Agreed. I love it! Walking outside and feeling heat at night is heaven to me. And 2-5 pm is when I was outside both days. I really didn’t mind at all. Given, it wasn’t that bad, 103 or so. I’ve been in 116 here and it sucked. I’d rather just not be outside in that.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
I would say make sure your air conditioner works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas