Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Tell my aunt that, man her place is unbearable! She’s 70 and I swear her house is 85.

I officially admit to being wrong about fans, though. They’re ghetto in Portland, sorry, they just are. They don’t work well and they look like you’re too poor for real AC. In Vegas, they WORK! Wow do they work. I’ve been sleeping with it at 75 with the ceiling fan full blast. I can’t believe it. I can’t sleep over 68 usually and if I turn the fan off, 75 feels miserable. But with the fan on it’s downright cold. You locals are onto something. I wonder how much money it costs to run a fan, no idea, but it sure does work. Glad I learned before I moved into my house (we have pre-wire for fans but no actual fans).

Agreed. I love it! Walking outside and feeling heat at night is heaven to me. And 2-5 pm is when I was outside both days. I really didn’t mind at all. Given, it wasn’t that bad, 103 or so. I’ve been in 116 here and it sucked. I’d rather just not be outside in that.

I'm glad you're on the ceiling fan bandwagon now. Glad you listened. Fans practically costs nothing to operate, that's why they're so economical to operate. They allow you to use your AC less (set a higher temp) which in turn saves money. Think about how much money you're saving setting the thermostat at 75 instead of 68 at night. As far as looks, there are many modern/contemporary looking ceiling fans on market.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Come on down OP. The heat sucks but if you don't have any better offers, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.
If you do come down, to fit in more properly, buy yourself an old 60's car, like an Edsel, as this city is stuck like glue to the 1960's and refuses to embrace the 21st century.

And you want to see the biggest White Elephant to arise in Las Vegas? Go to the vicinity of Russell Road and I-15, you can't miss it!

And Google Most Conservative Cities in the U.S., see where Las Vegas sits on the list, and then decide if you want to move here.

Still no Art Museum in Las Vegas, last big city in the country to get one, but no problem, they have cheap enough flights to L.A., and you can spend a couple days just going through LACMA on Wilshire Blvd., 7 buildings of Art.

And expect to run into lots of California bashing around town, but what's behind it is jealousy of California's placing as the 5th largest economy in the world. NV is too short on brains to even make it to 100th on the list.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you do come down, to fit in more properly, buy yourself an old 60's car, like an Edsel, as this city is stuck like glue to the 1960's and refuses to embrace the 21st century.

And you want to see the biggest White Elephant to arise in Las Vegas? Go to the vicinity of Russell Road and I-15, you can't miss it!

And Google Most Conservative Cities in the U.S., see where Las Vegas sits on the list, and then decide if you want to move here.

Still no Art Museum in Las Vegas, last big city in the country to get one, but no problem, they have cheap enough flights to L.A., and you can spend a couple days just going through LACMA on Wilshire Blvd., 7 buildings of Art.

And expect to run into lots of California bashing around town, but what's behind it is jealousy of California's placing as the 5th largest economy in the world. NV is too short on brains to even make it to 100th on the list.

What's with the fascination with art museums? I find nothing less interesting than that other than maybe the symphony or the ballet. To me no art museum means one less waste of pubic funds. The Neon Museum is great though! To ME that is interesting. To each their own.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Quote:
And expect to run into lots of California bashing around town, but what's behind it is jealousy of California's placing as the 5th largest economy in the world.

No, it's not.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Quote:
this city is stuck like glue to the 1960's and refuses to embrace the 21st century

As opposed to a modern city like ... Tijuana? Stuck in the 1860's.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,712 times
yes, in my experience tolerance to heat and cold decreases with age. Thank God the humidity is low!!!
In the mid eighties I moved from Boston to So Cal for the "big Job" after college. I would never go back to the east coast (it is difficult to retain friendships over the years though). Many people thought CA was low brow relative to the northeast. Maybe, but the pacific ocean!!! No shoveling!!! And yes, people are more laid back in the So West. In Boston the question is, "where did you go to school"?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:48 PM

628 posts, read 397,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you not been reading the posts on LV CD? Tolerant? Laid back? This bunch?
I meant people in general like co-workers and bosses for example.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I wonder are most people truly that heat-averse? It was 103 today and felt completely fine to me. I’ll be the first to say it’s not great once it hits 110 which it does but I don’t see the big deal. Air conditioning works great, interior temp feels the same anywhere you live, and 100 in Vegas doesn’t feel very hot unless you’re outside working in the direct sun for hours. But I found it downright pleasant today at 103, I loved it! I wasn’t wishing for any cooler weather. This is what I like! I guess I’ll count myself lucky most people like cold weather, because they consider LA’s 70s “perfect.” Eh, no. Way too cold in that city way too much of the time. I would prefer 100 to 70 by far!
Good for you. But I don't believe you're in LV, you're just trolling to slam LA for reasons only known to you.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
Quote:

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind. We're relocating to the West Coast & were stuck between NV & CA. I'd rather deal with liberals in CA than conservatives in NV, and Las Vegas sounds like a nightmare any way one looks at it. My friend keeps trying to persuade us to move there due to no income tax. I don't pay taxes anyway so...

Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
What's with the fascination with art museums? I find nothing less interesting than that other than maybe the symphony or the ballet. To me no art museum means one less waste of pubic funds. The Neon Museum is great though! To ME that is interesting. To each their own.
Waste of public funds? Someone needs to learn about funding for art museums! No public funds are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas