Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 10:55 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Back in the 50's, with the tax bracket at 90%, how oh how oh how, during that period, Reagan was able to purchase a home in Pacific Palisades and have a ranch out in the San Fernando Valley?
It is currently 2019.

Please articulate five tax loopholes that exist today -- or that have exited in the past, say, 30 years.

I dare you.

In fact, I double-dog dare you.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Art Museums have nothing to do with snobbery. Artists can be very prophetic, ahead of the times. Someone asked Picasso, during the 30's at the advent of WWII, why he painted such ugly and insane characters and his response:

The world is growing uglier and more insane every day, why paint something beautiful!

And, indeed, prophetically so, the world has grown uglier and more insane by the day!

At the Getty Museum last year, I noticed a dozen school buses in the parking ramp, teachers taking their students for museum tours.

That's what's so sadly, pathetically lacking in Las Vegas, an avenue for schoolchildren to experience art works.

The alternative to museums, is allowing graffiti artists to paint murals all around town. And with the hundreds of miles of walls in Las Vegas, there's lots of "canvasses" for graffiti art. Many cities today now have graffiti art bus tours. Las Vegas spends $30 million a year removing graffiti, some of it I deem true art work, that should stay on the walls, to be preserved. And how about taking a portion of that $30 million and hiring top-notch graffiti artists to paint murals around our city, not just in the Art District or downtown. But I'm forgetting how conservative Las Vegas is!

You're forgetting the Smith Center brings school children to events at the theater. Discovery museum as well.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM

223 posts, read 156,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Amen! I can’t think of anything more boring than an art museum. I’m sure if my IQ were a lot lower and I was trying to cover up my insecurities over class status and IQ, I’d probably buy tickets to the ballet and opera and talk about art museums too. Because I probably wouldn’t even know any actual rich people or high society so I wouldn’t realize they all laugh at the upwardly mobile middle class and nouveau riche trying to pretend to fit in... but failing badly at it. What a waste of effort and money. I can’t believe for a second you’re planning trips to the art museum every month no matter where you live. Maybe my social circle doesn’t include enough pretentious snobs to know anyone like that. Thank god!
Seeing artwork in person, is a much more amazing experience than in a book. Having seen Picasso’s Guernica in Spain, you can appreciate his mastery and the energy he had when painting it. It’s a massive work 11’ x 25’ and I think your being a bit simplistic in grading his talent.

If you can’t appreciate the Sistine Chapel, Van Gogh or Jackson Pollack - that’s ok, but but saying an art museum is a waste of money is rather boorish. You don’t need to be wealthy to appreciate it nor pretend to like it. Interestingly enough one of the finest art museums is in Bentonville AK, founded by the Walton Family and I’m sure that many people in AK would agree with your position. Regardless, if there was ever an art museum built in Vegas, I’d attend if the gallery was worth going.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:02 PM

755 posts, read 399,849 times
Aren't there still small galleries in both Bellagio and Venetian?

Old 08-07-2019, 04:43 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
but but saying an art museum is a waste of money is rather boorish

Asking the public to subsidize your entertainment is what is truly boorish.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:51 PM

848 posts, read 648,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Aren't there still small galleries in both Bellagio and Venetian?

There is a nice art gallery at the Bellagio. In fact, even though we have visited larger art museums in other major cities, my children have not felt deprived when it comes to viewing art in Las Vegas. Over the last several years, we have seen Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirrored Room: Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity (we could not see the one at The Broad in Los Angeles due to the wait) and Narcissus Garden, Faberge eggs, a Picasso exhibit, a samurai exhibit, and a Monet exhibit to name just a few.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:22 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It is currently 2019.

Please articulate five tax loopholes that exist today -- or that have exited in the past, say, 30 years.

I dare you.

That takes research and/or knowledge. I only believe what others tell me to think. Those are the only opinions I can hold without losing likes or friends on social media.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It is currently 2019.

I dare you.

A man who made $20 million last year, discovers he has a valuable Picasso in his house appraised at $10 million and he wishes to donate it to a museum. How much will that lower his tax load by donating it?

Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Some find it entertaining to take long joy rides on freeway and city streets, financed by taxpayers.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:54 AM

223 posts, read 156,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Never said art museums should be publicly funded.

We all have different opinions on what we value. My point was to respect others, even if you don’t see value or agree with it.

Opening a discussion of what should be publicly funded entertainment would be a waste of time on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas