Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:24 AM

87 posts, read 301,517 times

Advertisements

I'm having a reality check concerning my possible move to LV in August. One of the realities is shipping or driving my Harley and Chevy Tahoe to LV. The SUV runs well and I just had it detailed. However, it's ten years old with 130,000 miles and gets 15 mpg with a tailwind. I keep it because my ex hated it along with my Harley and I just frankly like it. But, it will probably cost $1200 to ship it from Seattle (20% of its resale value) or $300 to drive it without counting hotels and food cost along the way. Plus I'll add miles to it in the move. The Harley I wont sell until I am on an oxygen bottle in 30 years.

So, I'm thinking of selling the truck here and buying something in LV which is the purpose of this note. What is the used car or truck market like in LV? Are they usually good vehicles or, vehicles that are generally trashed out from other areas or in LV? Are used vehicle costs generally higher in LV than elsewhere?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Craigslist (broken link) (there are actually a few legitimate postings among the numerous low-ball scammers) . . DMV

Last edited by tortoise; 04-06-2008 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
as a dealer in ohio and also a seasonal resident in las vegas, the vehicles are significantly more expensive then ohio.. depending on the vehicle of course.. there isn't much you can buy in vegas for under 5 thousand.. which is what your vehicle is worth wholesale if it is extremely clean, in perfect mechanical condition, and with leather and a moon.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I'd drive it down and keep it if you like it that much. My daughter once bought a truck in West Virginia to haul a bunch of antiques out and sold it in Las Vegas for more than she paid there. I don't know the actual figures, but you should listen to AIRICS.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
If it runs good why even buy another car? That is one expense that you can avoid, then just have it shipped or drive it. Car payments suck! and I'm one of those who pay cash when I can.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
also watch out for the ads in las vegas.. especially planet hyundai... in the paper you can't even read the fine print with a microscope.. you cannot buy a hyundai brand new for $6k anywhere! those ads you see are the lease payment added up and then you still add the incredible driveaway down payment and you still dont own the car...

Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I produced and directed car commercials for virtually every car dealer in town at one time, as well as commercials for most other local TV advertisers, and even some for LA businesses and a few national companies. I personally wrote hundreds of TV and radio commercials here and in three other states as well. Although I tried to keep the spots I did honest, I wouldn't believe anything in any one's advertising, especially a car dealer's.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM

697 posts, read 3,278,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
as a dealer in ohio and also a seasonal resident in las vegas, the vehicles are significantly more expensive then ohio.. depending on the vehicle of course.. there isn't much you can buy in vegas for under 5 thousand.. which is what your vehicle is worth wholesale if it is extremely clean, in perfect mechanical condition, and with leather and a moon.
I beg to differ. Cars are alot more reasonable here than in the midwest. I couldn't touch a 5 series BMW back there for less than 45k. Out here, I got a new one for 31 out the door. Just look at some of the prices here.
Towbin Dodge Used Inventory Used Listings for cars Trucks vans and SUV in Las Vegas Henderson, NV (http://towbindodge.com/inventory/used.html - broken link)

Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM

87 posts, read 301,517 times
To back up what cjski21 states, according to Edmunds, I can sell my truck here for a few hundred more in Seattle than in LV.

Still not sure whether I'll sell the truck vs shipping it. It's got 131,000 miles but is in good shape-still I'm not sure I'd tow my Harley behind it through the passes to LV.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PAK View Post
To back up what cjski21 states, according to Edmunds, I can sell my truck here for a few hundred more in Seattle than in LV.

Still not sure whether I'll sell the truck vs shipping it. It's got 131,000 miles but is in good shape-still I'm not sure I'd tow my Harley behind it through the passes to LV.
If you have the 5.7 V8 or the 4.3 V6 with the 4 spd 460LE trans or 480LE trans, that drive train should last over 200K no problem with proper maintenance. There is a guy that has a 1996 Silverado with 1 million miles and still going strong. 130K these days are nothing. I always scratch my head when people think that is high mileage. My last toyota truck had 350K till the head gasket blew, but it actually would still run but not pass smog anymore. Change that oil with a good quality filter and it should last !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas