Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:36 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
Any must see areas like shopping centers or local malls you recommend? Wife loves shopping, esp high end stores.
The Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace.

Crystals Shopping Center https://www.simon.com/mall/the-shops-at-crystals
Forum Shops https://www.simon.com/mall/the-forum...caesars-palace

more normal-ish:

Downtown Summerlin https://www.summerlin.com/downtown-s.../overview.html
Town Square https://mytownsquarelasvegas.com/
Boca Park https://mytownsquarelasvegas.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
National Merit Scholars is not the best indicator of school quality. It’s part PSAT score and part subjective essay, and school involvement etc....

Not for saying much but all of the schools here in LV/Henderson are pretty poor, even the private ones. But if you have to put a kid in school, Private is the way to go.

Regardless OP, if your Mormon - Henderson is the place for you. If not, I’d move to Summerlin.
There is limited data available for private schools since they don't take any state assessments. NMSF is one of the few things you can judge them on. There is a very high correlation between the number of NMSF at a school and the school's average ACT scores. It's also a good measure as it along with AP scores assess the quality of a school's accelerated program, while other assessments gauge the overall school which tells us nothing except which school has the least amount of low income students.

The school I worked at in Summerlin had a Mormon principal and vice principal. The accelerated teachers were Mormon, even though none of them showed test score growth over the years. The desirable Boys PE jobs both went to Mormons, and their wives were employed on the staff in non-teaching positions that earned teacher salaries and benefits. I don't deny that Henderson is heavily influenced by the Mormon church (both Miller and Coronado have Mormon churches adjacent to their campus), but Summerlin is not without their own Mormon influence. In both parts of town Mormons have gone out of their way to try and get me in trouble because I wouldn't give special treatment to a student who was a member of their church.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
The school I worked at in Summerlin had a Mormon principal and vice principal. The accelerated teachers were Mormon, even though none of them showed test score growth over the years. The desirable Boys PE jobs both went to Mormons, and their wives were employed on the staff in non-teaching positions that earned teacher salaries and benefits. I don't deny that Henderson is heavily influenced by the Mormon church (both Miller and Coronado have Mormon churches adjacent to their campus), but Summerlin is not without their own Mormon influence. In both parts of town Mormons have gone out of their way to try and get me in trouble because I wouldn't give special treatment to a student who was a member of their church.
Shocker...

I don't know how anyone with more than two brain cells could believe in Mormon doctrine in the year 2019?

.....which tells me.....

It's less of a religion and more of a business network for mediocre people who think they're special.

Those wives you mention probably couldn't pass the State credentialing exams, but Johnny Mormon still wanted that $150k combined household income, so he "found a way" to make it happen.

The Mormons who controlled the school districts in my hometown of Santa Clarita, CA used to do the same thing....they'd create special positions for their relatives and fellow church members who were too mediocre to get a job in the business world, and too dumb to pass the California credentialing exams.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Seen the same BS in Arizona...even in TUSD, where the saying is, "if you aint brown, you aint down," the Mormons control many of the jobs not held by the leaderless mexican mob. Achievement has been horrific for 50 years+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: