Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM

143 posts, read 98,505 times

Advertisements

My mother is 101 years old and has been living with my sister (currently 70 years old), but is becoming a bit more than my sister can handle. (My sister has physical limitations of her own.) They currently share an apartment in Sunrise Manor.

Does anybody here have experience with and/or recommendation for a care solution in the LV area for my mother? She is physically pretty healthy, though a bit unstable on her feet and is sliding into dementia.

The clincher is the only income and resources she has is Social Security. Last time I looked, she was getting a monthly check for about $1125 after Medicare (A,B,D) deductions. Is there any chance there's a decent place for her to live out her remaining years on such low income? She doesn't require luxury, just a clean safe place with supervision and meals.

The few places I found on an internet search which show prices are $3,000+ which is out of our league.

Are there Medicare Advantage plans which would cover her care and residency? My sister and I are at a loss as to how to approach this.

Any suggestions (or any information) would be helpful. Feel free to PM me if you're more comfortable sharing that way.

PS: My Canadian friends were mortified that the US doesn't have a government system in place for the elderly. Apparently in Canada, everyone is entitled to a long-term facility, priced on their ability to pay? My guess is that nothing like that exists in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 03:00 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Your mom may qualify for Medicaid to pay for a nursing home. Google "nevada medicaid nursing home eligibility" and start your research there.

I just went through finding an assisted living facility for both my parents (mom needs help after a stroke and Dad is doing well) but they had assets. They are self pay for now.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 PM

Thanks! Initial googling indicates that Medicaid is what should cover her needs. I still have lots of questions about how to get from Point A (here, now) to Point B (Mom in a managed-care facility.)

Did you find a facility in LV?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 PM

386 posts, read 261,981 times
I don't want to steer this political, but when you're ultimately making a selection, I'd pick a place that if you needed to help out, you could afford after her current benefits are exhausted. We are actually in preliminary searches for a similar parental situation in Indiana and running into the same issues -- pretty much everything is $3-5k/mo.

There was a NY Times piece this week where some Republican senators said cutting social security and Medicare are likely on the table if he gets re-elected. Has to pay for the tax cuts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/u...-predicts.html

Old 08-28-2019, 12:02 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
I recommend you get in touch with a hospital RN case manager. They are very familiar with these types of questions and can provide information and resources about what could be the best fit. The problem with that proposal though, is it may be difficult approaching that topic with them without having some sort of prior existing relationship.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:06 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Thanks! Initial googling indicates that Medicaid is what should cover her needs. I still have lots of questions about how to get from Point A (here, now) to Point B (Mom in a managed-care facility.)

Did you find a facility in LV?
Sorry - I meant to say in Massachusetts.

You may want to check out:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1634

Medical Assistance

Consider meeting with a Medicaid or Elder Services attorney. They can look at your Mom's financial situation and make recommendations. We did that first to determine what my parents could qualify for.

Last, do you have power of attorney and a health care proxy in place for her? It makes it much easier for you to handle her affairs.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 AM

755 posts, read 399,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
I don't want to steer this political, but when you're ultimately making a selection, I'd pick a place that if you needed to help out, you could afford after her current benefits are exhausted. We are actually in preliminary searches for a similar parental situation in Indiana and running into the same issues -- pretty much everything is $3-5k/mo.

There was a NY Times piece this week where some Republican senators said cutting social security and Medicare are likely on the table if he gets re-elected. Has to pay for the tax cuts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/u...-predicts.html
Your link is to the new york times. Ha ha ha. Can't you find a link to the DNC?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:07 AM

386 posts, read 261,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I recommend you get in touch with a hospital RN case manager. They are very familiar with these types of questions and can provide information and resources about what could be the best fit. The problem with that proposal though, is it may be difficult approaching that topic with them without having some sort of prior existing relationship.
100%. You should also ask for a social worker. Most hospitals retain them for these very reasons -- they are typically experts in community services outside of their walls. My wife has been one for over a decade working ERs in Indiana and here for the VA.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I now have different options to pursue. I live overseas (Thailand) but will make an extended visit to Las Vegas to sort this all out. I just needed to know where to start. Medicaid seems vital, and I was missing that crucial part when I was researching online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas