Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 02:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times

Advertisements

Here’s a pic of blocked and locked upack. That’s why I chose the whole trailer but that was 3 yrs ago. Maybe they do it differently now.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on driving moving truck across country to Henderson-cad5b31f-68ee-4e34-9ef5-114d2f10b7a1.jpeg  

Last edited by Packrat1; 09-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
So we're on the home stretch! Thank you all for the advice again, we: (a) sold a LOT of furniture, the house looks so bare; (b) are using U-Pack/ABF to move - trailer shows up next week; (c) are having Uhaul movers will help load, (d) are caravanning from OH to NV - southern route to avoid possible snow in CO (me with 2 dogs).

For those who said they could recommend movers in Vegas to unload the trailer, if you wouldn't mind giving me any recommendations, I would truly appreciate it. Unfortunately hubby wants to store everything in our garage during renovations, so.... we're only moving 2 bedroom sets (but 3 mattress/box springs), 3 leather recliners, and some end tables, 1 console chest & 1 coffee table - we sold everything else - it's been crazy!

Thank you all again for your help during this process, had it not been for our UNBELIEVABLE real estate agent and you all - God knows what I would have done, this has been a nightmare! I'll say it again our real estate agent, I will forever be in debt to him - even after the sale, he's been in constant contact, checking on the house a few times a week, connecting us with people who can help, willing to oversee the gutting of our house - he's spoiled us so much that our agent here in Ohio is not even in the same ballpark. I am forever in his debt - he goes way above and beyond what any RE agent has ever done for us! Also all of you - thank you for all your advice and recommendations - even if I didn't go the same path, I really can't thank you all enough, you've helped make this process smoother!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM

220 posts, read 140,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
So we're on the home stretch! Thank you all for the advice again, we: (a) sold a LOT of furniture, the house looks so bare; (b) are using U-Pack/ABF to move - trailer shows up next week; (c) are having Uhaul movers will help load, (d) are caravanning from OH to NV - southern route to avoid possible snow in CO (me with 2 dogs).

For those who said they could recommend movers in Vegas to unload the trailer, if you wouldn't mind giving me any recommendations, I would truly appreciate it. Unfortunately hubby wants to store everything in our garage during renovations, so.... we're only moving 2 bedroom sets (but 3 mattress/box springs), 3 leather recliners, and some end tables, 1 console chest & 1 coffee table - we sold everything else - it's been crazy!

Thank you all again for your help during this process, had it not been for our UNBELIEVABLE real estate agent and you all - God knows what I would have done, this has been a nightmare! I'll say it again our real estate agent, I will forever be in debt to him - even after the sale, he's been in constant contact, checking on the house a few times a week, connecting us with people who can help, willing to oversee the gutting of our house - he's spoiled us so much that our agent here in Ohio is not even in the same ballpark. I am forever in his debt - he goes way above and beyond what any RE agent has ever done for us! Also all of you - thank you for all your advice and recommendations - even if I didn't go the same path, I really can't thank you all enough, you've helped make this process smoother!
Congratulations on managing your move. I know it's not so easy to arrange. Finding someone to help you move should not be a problem. I know the U haul near where I love in Henderson always has someone standing out front with a sign that says " for hire to help with moving" . People are always out trying to hustle a buck. You can probably even find someone on Craigslist to help you unload . Good luck and enjoy the sunny weather. It almost never rains here 🌞

Old 10-22-2019, 10:34 AM

838 posts, read 564,864 times
$15k is ridiculous, I moved a 4BR/2BA from MA to North Las Vegas and including the transport of 2 vehicles spent a little under $4k. I personally would go through U-Pack have them drop-off the container then hire some locals to load it up, If you're concerned about quality you may go with an insured movers company otherwise i would try picking up some laborers outside of Home Depot.

EDIT: NVM It looks like this is an old thread, Great to see you ended up selling some stuff and went with U-Pack, They're the best imho.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
We have used Favorco.com to unload pods and ABF trailer. They worked hard and showed up on time. You might consider getting a bid from them.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
I love a thread like this as it reinforces what has been my plan... get rid of as much as possible before moving. Going to end up buying new stuff anyway!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
We have used Favorco.com to unload pods and ABF trailer. They worked hard and showed up on time. You might consider getting a bid from them.
I could be wrong, but it looks like Favorco is closed permanently. Thanks for the information though!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
When we moved, our mover suggested storing our belongings in the city of origin until we needed them, because storage costs were much lower.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
When we moved, our mover suggested storing our belongings in the city of origin until we needed them, because storage costs were much lower.
I prefer to be at the storage unit with the movers when they load in to and out of the storage unit. They might not like it but it's my furniture and I want to witness any damage as it occurs and try to prevent it before it happens. When you (the owner of your stuff) are on site and watching them like a hawk, they *might* be more careful.

When the movers loaded my stuff into my storage unit, I missed the first 1/2 hour because I had to deal with some issues in the business office before it closed. When I got to the unit, they had already screwed up the load in process. The lead guy didn't have a clue how to organize things and wasted a ton of time and room in the unit. They had a heck of time making it all fit and damaged a lot of my furniture in the process. Several months later, I supervised the load out and documented everything. Five months after moving in to my house, I'm still dealing with the company and my insurance claim.

My advice is to keep an eye on every step of the process if you can. It's your stuff and what I have found after moving several times, movers don't have much sense of the value of your property.

Estimators tell them how long things should take and if they take too long (i.e. do a good job, take necessary precautions to avoid damaging your stuff etc), they get yelled at.

I feel sorry for them, it's hard work especially if stuff is heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas