Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ha wow I have the exact same insurance, must have went through the same broker or something! And I’m in the same zip code. So weird. I’m a “find someone when you need them” person so I haven’t done anything with that yet. I haven’t seen a doctor in years and I suspect it’ll be a while before I happen to go again. I have never had a “regular” doctor as I don’t go enough for that to make sense. Maybe when I’m older.
Advice I got recently from my (very wise) sister who is four years older than me.

You want to have a good primary care doctor BEFORE you NEED one. If something happens, you don't want to be at the mercy of the system and stuck with whoever is provided to you. Get established with the best doctor you can find and a system that has a network of good doctors.

Even when I was much younger, I had good insurance coverage and got into the routine of having an annual physical. I was always well established with a good primary care doctor, even before I married a woman with extensive health care background (nurse, pharmaceutical sales rep etc.) Never a bad idea to see a doctor once a year to have a physical with blood work done to establish a base line. My step son had serious health issues at a very young age that would not have been detected without blood work. Too many people find out too late they could have prevented major problems, but it was too late to do anything about it. Things like cancer detected early are treatable, stage four, not so much.

You do routine preventative maintenance on your car, right? Why would you ignore your body and your health? I can tell you from experience, if you don't have your health, nothing else matters.

You may be young, but issues can arise with no warning at any age and you don't want to be searching for a good doctor when you really need one asap.

Final word, accidents happen. You don't have a PC doctor? They are your lifeline to getting the best care (good doctors know all the other good doctors and who to recommend), otherwise, it's the luck of the draw. I hear that's not a great situation to be in here in Las Vegas (or anywhere for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 06:57 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
My health is the most important thing to me, but even my radiologist close friend is just like me haha he doesn’t ever go to a doctor. I do want to have a concierge doctor eventually, maybe a few years down the road, because I’ve never met a single primary care doctor with any level of intelligence. I’m sure to the average person doctors all seem like geniuses but frankly if you’re not bright enough to go into a specialty and make the big bucks, so you had to resort to primary care, you’re not someone I want to be asking about my health whatsoever. I’ve had nothing but idiots in that field whereas both of my dad’s concierge doctors who I have seen before and talked with are incredibly smart guys, the one reminded me of Dr. House and immediately solved my issue almost just on instinct. Two other doctors swung and missed for 9 months and it was literally as simple as vitamin D deficiency. That’s how bad most of these primary care doctors are. I want my doctor to be smarter than me, not dumber, so I’m going to have to pay to get that service clearly.

And no, I don’t do any preventative car maintenance whatsoever except oil changes. Cars are fine without almost anything being done to them for 75K to 100K miles except maybe the tires obviously can wear out. Then after that point I don’t care, sell it and move on. I have zero interest in being pricked with a needle any more than absolutely necessary, I’d rather be roundhouse kicked to the face (which I’ve had happen many times, it’s not that bad). I’m in tune enough with my body that preventative maintenance is what I do 10 hours a week by being one of the strongest, best conditioned 38-year-olds you’ll find anywhere. That’s the best prevention you can get.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:00 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My health is the most important thing to me, but even my radiologist close friend is just like me haha he doesn’t ever go to a doctor. .
Is your radiologist friend diagnostic or interventional? Reason I ask is because I work with radiologists all day every day in my current position so I may know him lol. Just curious not trying to be too nosey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: