Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 97,820 times

Advertisements

If you notice, the people that post on this forum have a job. Their thinking is slightly slanted.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:42 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
need - not everyone has a job on this forum, they are going by the economy, unemployment rates, etc

Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
NeedAJobinLas Vegas, I'm curious what type of employment you are looking for and briefly what is your background, if I may ask? We are in a terribly depressed area in Ohio yet, waiting to relocate to Las Vegas, and trust me, there are no ads running in the paper headlined by our names. We have always acessed our abilities and backgrounds and gone on to contact those who could use our skills. It's amazing how many things can open up. Would it work for you to try this?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
come to ohio and try to find a job.. hah! unless you work in the cleveland clinic there isnt much here

Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Dear Mr/Ms Need.....if YOU notice MANY of the people posting on this forum do indeed have jobs.....in positions that hire and fire.....THEY are the most in touch with the job market......

Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
The Economists at Research and Analysis do their best to ESTIMATE the unemployment rates, but I understand that there is no way to know for sure.

DETR Research and Analysis Bureau

Most of he employees at JobConnect that I worked with believed that those numbers were actually too low. Of course some thought they were too high. But they are mostly based on the number of people filing for unemployment benefits. The variable seems to be that when they stop filing their weekly claims, other than those whose benefits ran out, did they return to work, did they leave the area and not file for an interstate claim wherever they went, did they just stop looking for work, or what? Something like five years ago, Nevada started requiring employers to report new hires to DETR within a shorter time than before...I think it's within the same month as the hire. Before it was about six months before they had to pay payroll taxes on that person's salary, and that was the first time the state had a record of the hire. By then the person could have been out of work again. The new law was supposed to make it easier for R & A to keep accurate stats. But even with the new law there is nobody enforcing it and I think most employers don't even know they are supposed to, and the rest ignore it.

So don't put a lot of stock in those unemployment numbers, which at best are a month behind, and probably more than that. The Feds use those numbers to estimate what it's going to cost in unemployment benefits, how many people the states can hire to handle the unemployed, etc. I think the magic number for extended unemployment benefits is 7% unemployment, and I only saw that happen twice in 13 years. We're a long ways from that right now...knock on wood.

BTW: The way unemployment benefits work is the states charge a payroll tax to employers on your salary. This money is collected by the state but it belongs to the Federal Government. So the Feds, in effect, are stealing money from the states and then giving some of it back for it's intended purpose. Who the he** knows what they do with the rest...unintended purposes I suppose.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM

31 posts, read 97,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Dear Mr/Ms Need.....if YOU notice MANY of the people posting on this forum do indeed have jobs.....in positions that hire and fire.....THEY are the most in touch with the job market......

You are a fool. It's really easy to say, "Find a job, they're out there," when you don't have a job. Your working! YOU CANNOT FEEL WHAT I FEEL. I DO NOT HAVE A JOB. That's why I'm getting out of here. For all those people that want to move here without a job, you're a fool too.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needajobinvegas View Post
You are a fool. It's really easy to say, "Find a job, they're out there," when you don't have a job. Your working! YOU CANNOT FEEL WHAT I FEEL. I DO NOT HAVE A JOB. That's why I'm getting out of here. For all those people that want to move here without a job, you're a fool too.
Maybe its your attitude guy? or gal?? I have been there many times. When I lived in the Bay Area after the .com bust, I was laid off countless times and hit bottom. I had to get what ever job to get food and shelter over my head. I just had a guy rent a room from me and came from Louisiana. He got a job in 2 days making 8 bucks an hour plus tips. That might not be much, but its a start. Are you that picky? maybe you have to work on your interviewing skills.? There are job out there, maybe they are not the kind of pay you would like, but they are out there. Work 2 jobs if you have to.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
I know how you feel. I looked for a job for a year one time in a down turned economy which was actually worse than the one we have now. My particular position was being done away with in the industry so staying in my career was not looking good.

To try and get some money coming in I passed out fliers for plastic ware kitchen containers, and delivered the product when people called in orders. Fun, but no money in it. Also a little demeaning when I ran into people I knew. Then I found a job 500 miles away doing what I knew best at a new place, and three months later the owners ran off and left us all holding the bag. This was soon followed by triple by-pass surgery which delayed working several more months. I eventually changed careers altogether.

By actual survey of the ten worst things that can happen, people were found to put loss of work in the same category as a death in the family. It is devastating and depressing. The cure is to hitch up your necessity level and your determination and decide what you want and go out and get it. Do not just want a job. Decide what job you do want and do whatever it takes to get that job. In my case it meant moving again. You may need to look elsewhere too. But there are lots of jobs in Las Vegas just as there are jobs almost everywhere. They may not be the jobs that you want, but more than likely you are doing something wrong and you just don't realize it. You may need to get a job coach or a head hunter to help you figure it out. Just don't get ripped off because it shouldn't cost you any money. DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO HELP YOU FIND A JOB!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Did you mean that it's easy to say that if you DO have a job?

In all seriousness, perhaps it is your attitude or maybe you have your standards set too high? It really is NOT that hard to get a job. Maybe you have not been offered your ideal job? There is competition in the job market, and people are willing to do what they have to do. How long have you been out here? What experience and education do you have? Are you an unskilled worker with no education expecting to make $50K a year? That's not going to happen, and it doesn't matter where you go. That being said, feel free to leave ASAP. We prefer people that are willing to make the dream happen out here, as opposed to the folks that wait for it to happen for them.

Just so you know that I'm not blowing hot smoke (and usually I hate disclosing personal info like this but I need to prove a point) I was actually homeless for over 2 years out here, as well as my last year in CA. I found a job washing dishes at a bar WHILE I WAS HOMELESS!!! I have sinced turned my life around and am now a husband, father, and homeowner. If I could make it happen, anyone can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: