Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM

560 posts, read 2,184,996 times

Advertisements

Most districts will hire a teacher w/o a masters degree over one with. Yes, you are expected to get that masters degree after hire but it is less expensive for the district to hire you before you have it and increase your pay gradually as you earn credits. I did not have my masters when we arrived here, I will have it completed by the end of the summer.

Now for my disclaimer*** As I said previously, I don't know what CCSD's policies are. It has been such a rare experience for me to even encounter a school district with the massive openings that CCSD has that it may very well make no difference to them if you have your masters or not. I know that in MI no district would hire a teacher with a masters degree, you were basically dead in the water. They also get literally thousands of applications for each opening they post so they can afford the luxury of being "picky".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM

99 posts, read 415,853 times
Talking Update

Greetings all,

I've been reading and posting on other sections here but thought I'd follow up with my first post.

I genuinely appreciate this forum for all the available information on just about any and every "thing" one could imagine when considering pulling up stakes and heading out to Nevada to live (as I, and so many others seem to be considering). Reading all the older posts has really made me feel somewhat more familiar with the area and some of the potential challenges of living there, e.g., spiders/scorpions, ghetto neighborhoods, realistic electric usage, as well as renting versus purchasing a home, etc.

I placed a call to CCSD today to see how my application review was going and ended up leaving a message that wasn't returned, but it probably will be tomorrow--maybe with an offer! (I guess they're really busy sorting all that stuff out right now. They must have a ton of applicants to sift through.)

My fortune cookie from today's lunch read, "Good news is coming your way - it will be here any day." Whew, what a relief! So, obviously, I'm feeling pretty good about things. Again thanks to all who post here.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 PM

35 posts, read 114,753 times
Good luck, and take the horror stories with a grain of salt.

In a lot of ways, Vegas does suck. Seriously. But I say that as a long-time resident who has witnessed the decline personally.

Coming from California, though, Vegas may be nirvana for you. All things are relative.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planning4someday View Post
Good luck, and take the horror stories with a grain of salt.

In a lot of ways, Vegas does suck. Seriously. But I say that as a long-time resident who has witnessed the decline personally.

Coming from California, though, Vegas may be nirvana for you. All things are relative.
Thanks, but let's stay positive, planning4someday. I think any place can "suck," depending on a myriad of circumstances/ possibilities. I welcome a new start in an exciting place that I've never lived, and Vegas may have what I'm looking for, so I'll get back to you after I transition. Thank you, though. I hope I don't chalk this up to another bad decision. Okay, I've been warned.

See you at the pool.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM

35 posts, read 114,753 times
I guess that didn't sound as positive as I intended.

Is Vegas the place I grew up? No. But it's better in some ways, worse in others.

It's still an OK place to live. It offers a lot that other communities don't. Growth has its drawbacks, but also its pluses.

If I were to do a pro/con analysis of Vegas as I see it, it'd tilt to the pro, even now.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,326,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planning4someday View Post
I guess that didn't sound as positive as I intended.

Is Vegas the place I grew up? No. But it's better in some ways, worse in others.

It's still an OK place to live. It offers a lot that other communities don't. Growth has its drawbacks, but also its pluses.

If I were to do a pro/con analysis of Vegas as I see it, it'd tilt to the pro, even now.
A very high percentage of the posters on this site, cite economic issues to be the driving force to come here. " A better life", more money, lower prices, fewer taxes,--------- a move up on the socio-economic ladder. So be it. I was in that group as well. I can only say, my personal priorities have not proven to be of import, and long-standing value.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
I can only say, my personal priorities have not proven to be of import, and long-standing value.
Pardon me for being obtuse here, sheriff, but I'm having a hard time reading between the lines with what it is you're trying to say. So, you moved to LV for financial reasons, as do so many others, but now have different priorities? Sorry, but your message became rather cryptic for me towards the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas