Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 07:19 AM

42 posts, read 127,494 times

Advertisements

Awesome! I’d love to pick your brain more because I’m asking as a teacher not a parent. I’m definitely relocating. I have 9 years experience, so I know how things can be. I’m just wondering from a teacher point of view - are some schools less enjoyable than others!? Or are they all the same level of meh. Ps. Teachers see things differently like parental involvement is not always a perk for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I have taught for a decade at a variety of schools rated from 4/10 to 10/10 including magnet and CTA schools.

Every middle school is the same. They have the same facilities. None of them have textbooks or supplies.
Can you elaborate about "None of them have textbooks" Students don't have textbooks from which to learn, say, Algebra I?

Sorry; I'm a Boomer.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Can you elaborate about "None of them have textbooks" Students don't have textbooks from which to learn, say, Algebra I?

Sorry; I'm a Boomer.
Everything is lecture and worksheets. My daughters school doesn't even allow backpacks, but I'm not sure if all schools are doing this.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Sorry; I'm a Boomer.
Textbooks have been out of education for almost a decade. There is no hard-cover book that students check out and do homework problems out of.

Students practice mathematics online through various programs and teachers supplement these programs with PDF or printed copies of worksheets.

Districts scrapped this because they could dump the responsibility of a curriculum onto the teachers and save millions doing so. Unlike California, there is no Williams Act to guarantee a textbook for each student.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 PM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
My oldest daughter graduated HS this past year and attended Rancho. She had textbooks issued throughout her 4 years of HS.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:49 AM

14 posts, read 18,357 times
Go to greatschools.com
Every school is rated using several factors such as test scores, diversity, clubs, teachers with master's degrees, graduation rates, and availability and student participation in advanced placement classes (high school).
I keep seeing people claiming the schools are bad, but there are several highly rated (it's 1-10 and there's many 8, 9, and 10s) schools in all grade levels.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies3 View Post
Go to greatschools.com
Every school is rated using several factors such as test scores, diversity, clubs, teachers with master's degrees, graduation rates, and availability and student participation in advanced placement classes (high school).
I keep seeing people claiming the schools are bad, but there are several highly rated (it's 1-10 and there's many 8, 9, and 10s) schools in all grade levels.
Greatschools rankings are not national but statewide. A 10/10 school in Nevada is an 8/10 school in other states... at best.

As a comparison, I'll choose another low performing state who doesn't pay their teachers - Oklahoma.

Schools in Oklahoma City suburbs (Edmond North, Edmond Memorial) have average ACT scores of 23.8 and 23.2. The Tulsa suburbs (Booker T Washington, Bixby) have average ACT scores of 23.9 and 22.1.

Our best comprehensive HS (Coronado) had an ACT average of 21.3. Palo Verde in Summerlin had an average ACT of 20.5. The next highest was Green Valley HS at 18.6.

"But that's because the good students go to the CTAs"

SECTA has an average ACT of 19.1. ECTA 19.6. SWCTA 20.2. NWCTA 21.2. VTCTA 19.5. LVA 21.6. Only A-TECH (23.0) and West Tech (23.0) are noticeably better than Coronado, and they're still lower than public schools in Oklahoma with filtered out students.

"But we have the MEADOWS! They had an average ACT of 31!"

It's $27,530/year. Stop pretending this is an option for anyone but the top .01% of income earners. They graduated a whopping 54 students last year.

The Oklahoma School of Science and Math has an average ACT of 31.5 with 66 students. Tuition is free for Oklahoma residents. The Casady School is very good as well with an average ACT of 28.0.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 18,357 times
Wow. Interesting. Thank you for pointing that out, 08grad!

Old 12-11-2019, 08:51 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Greatschools rankings are not national but statewide. A 10/10 school in Nevada is an 8/10 school in other states... at best.

As a comparison, I'll choose another low performing state who doesn't pay their teachers - Oklahoma.

Schools in Oklahoma City suburbs (Edmond North, Edmond Memorial) have average ACT scores of 23.8 and 23.2. The Tulsa suburbs (Booker T Washington, Bixby) have average ACT scores of 23.9 and 22.1.

Our best comprehensive HS (Coronado) had an ACT average of 21.3. Palo Verde in Summerlin had an average ACT of 20.5. The next highest was Green Valley HS at 18.6.

"But that's because the good students go to the CTAs"

SECTA has an average ACT of 19.1. ECTA 19.6. SWCTA 20.2. NWCTA 21.2. VTCTA 19.5. LVA 21.6. Only A-TECH (23.0) and West Tech (23.0) are noticeably better than Coronado, and they're still lower than public schools in Oklahoma with filtered out students.

"But we have the MEADOWS! They had an average ACT of 31!"

It's $27,530/year. Stop pretending this is an option for anyone but the top .01% of income earners. They graduated a whopping 54 students last year.

The Oklahoma School of Science and Math has an average ACT of 31.5 with 66 students. Tuition is free for Oklahoma residents. The Casady School is very good as well with an average ACT of 28.0.
That is some interesting data. Especially the thing about great schools only comparing versus others in the state. I had no idea. Learn something new every day.

It did cause me to google my kid's school for average ACT and it is 25 but we are in a relatively affluent part of California. The same website, for whatever value it has, indicated the national average is 20.

Really sad that Las Vegas schools are so bad.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:36 AM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
School funding is not the problem at CCSD. It is the parents' lack of involvement in their kid's lives and school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas