Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippichiclv View Post
I have driven from Philadelphia PA to Las Vegas about 4-5 times and i have taken both routes. If you take I70 you have to go through colorado and depending on the time you go you might still have snow to deal with. The rest of that drive is pretty easy except for the colorado part. i have been told that your car has to be specially tuned for high altitude and I didn't know that so I was going about 35 miles and hour in my 4 wheel drive toyota(6 cyl.) with a small uhaul on the back up the big mountains of colorado. everyone around me was zipping around at about 75....felt pretty dangerous going so slow. I don't prefer that route. a couple of other times I took I40 through tenn, texas, new mexico....a much better route i think. Although some things to think about is the heat if you are traveling in the summer. it is pretty bad through texas and new mexico. Texas also has some pretty bad weather to deal with in the summer. Bad thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. But, the next time i drive back home it will definitely be on 40. I wouldn't put my animals on a plane either. they toss them around like luggage. i took my cat with me one time and we just stayed in motel 6's. they charge you 10 per pet per night, but it was worth it. It took roughly 4 days to get out here driving 10-12 hours a day sometimes less. it is nice to get a good look of the country and you should really enjoy it!! good luck!!
I prefer the southern route too, but everybody should see the Rockies at least once in their lives. The OP could just flip a coin. Won't be any trouble either way. And, no I don't think you need to worry about tuning your car for the mountains just to pass through Colorado. If you lived there I imagine you'd do that, otherwise you'd probably be wasting gas and maybe flooding your engine a lot. My friends in Colorado Springs told me it was snowing the other day, which was a good thing because it helped put out a forest fire at Ft. Collins. But at 10,000 feet you can get a lot of snow, even in June. I hope it continues to snow in the Rockies the way it did this year for the next several years so we can get Lake Mead back up to capacity. You can run into snow on I-40 in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona too though. Spots to watch out for snow would be between Amarillo,TX, and Tucumcari, NM. Just east of Albuquerque coming through Tijeras Canyon. West of Albuquerque near Grants and Gallup. And on both sides of Flagstaff, AZ. I have hit blizzards in all those places and usually kept on truckin', but have been forced to stop for the night west of Flagstaff twice. Did I miss any places Big Jim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,461 times
that about covers it, buzz (including the wishes 4 good snow years in the rockies)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM

113 posts, read 357,593 times
We moved out here from PA in Sept. 2004 with two dogs (a 250lb and 150lb mastiffs) and two cats. Did it all driving. We took about a week. Stopped frequently and there were plenty of hotels that would take pets, even our monsters. And it was really helpful to have the vet prescribe doggie and kitty downers. It can get quite difficult to drive when the dogs decide to chase the cats in the car.

D

Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
snow in June??

Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
snow in June??
At that altitude you can get snow anytime of year. I've been skiing on the 4th of July in the Sierras.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
so if i go north, i can get snow.. if i go south, its very hot.. which would you do... ps.. decided to rent a motorhome to make travel easier...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM

278 posts, read 1,082,356 times
I've done the southern route in June before, when I was right out of college with my boyfriend(now husband). We camped our way across country when we moved to Phoenix. It wasn't that hot at all. That is till we got to PHX and it hit 121. When we moved here to Las Vegas, we took the central route through the Rockies. We came in April and we had to race a storm system to get to Grand Junction so we would not have to drive in bad weather. Well worth the drive, my boys got to see the mountains up close for their first time. Our dog enjoyed the trip very much and she was 10 years old with a giant recurring tumor. We were so glad she made the trip comfortably. She got to come back west for the last few months of her life. Her arthritis from the cold damp air back in OH faded and she was more herself. (sorry I'm rambling, but I miss her)
Either route is nice. The first part of the journey is the same, you have to drop through St. Louis, but after that until you reach Denver or New Mexico, the scenery just becomes the same for hours on end. There is something about mountains that just perks up the trip.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 PM

If it's in July take the northern route; you might be slightly more comfortable. But if you flip a coin it won't make any difference. You'll be in an air conditioned motor home, which is a good choice by the way. You can stop at campgrounds along the way and save a ton of money, although some of them are getting to be almost as expensive as hotels. If you come through the Rockies all those "towns" along I-70 are mostly ski resorts. Usually they are dog friendly. If you stop to eat at one, say at Vail, they are a little expensive but good food, and from there on until St. George, UT, there isn't much good food. In fact there are few places to eat at all once you pass Grand Junction. But you can save there too in a motor home by bringing food and stopping at some nice scenic spots along the way to eat and walk the puppies. It's late and I'm rambling. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 AM

For those of you going through New Mexico, I highly recommend taking this brief side trip off of I-40 between Grants and Gallup. It is well worth seeing. In fact it gives me chills. I'd also recommend seeing the Grand Canyon along the way but once you are living in Las Vegas you can always go over there on a weekend.

El Morro National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

El Morro National Monument - DesertUSA

Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 AM

8 posts, read 24,195 times
I am moving to Las Vegas this summer and I am taking my 3 year old Rottweiler with me. Does Vegas have restrictions for Rotties? Is it going to be hard to rent? I live in Indiana right now and most apartments and houses for rent do not accept Rotties even when they accept large breed dogs. They have breed restrictions. I have papers for him, both his parents were champions in various competitions in US and Europe, he is well trained and LOVES children. I have a 6 month old baby and he loves her. Unfortunately most people don't want to meet the dog, they just assume he is agressive. If anybody knows any apartments where I can rent I would really appreciate that info. I do not care what type of neighborhood because I plan to rent for a year or two only. Also, I heard that some cities (Vegas included) require special license for Rotties and Pitbulls and I am not sure if that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas