Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:56 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The reason I chose Las Vegas, is the alot of people told me that I can move up quickly in the hotel industry, with my experience.
You have 3 years front desk experience. Thats really not alot, but if you have a related college degree you could move up fairly quick. Cost of living here isnt exactly low. Also, whites are a minority here as well, especially in the hospitality sector. One other thing to consider is alot of hotels prefer multi language ability(ie spanish)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 62,082 times
i am renting a 4 bedroom home in the Vistas in summerlin for $1600.
A 2 bedroom apt is 1200.
its a no brainer for me.

If Craigslist isn't showing homes, then contact a realtor (Or i have 3 realtor friends i can send you to) and they will be MORE than glad to find you a HOME to rent in summerlin. You tell them Summerlin, then a price and they will show you what is out there.
If I bought the home I am in (with only a little downpayment) my mortgage would be way more than 1600 so I think we are just sticking with this for a bit.

Summerlin is beautiful!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJA View Post
Hi everyone!

I am considering moving from Hawaii to Vegas with my wife and 2 children. I have alot of friends there, but most of them say I'm crazy. The reason why, is that the average job here is $9-$10 per hour, which comes out to around $1500 after taxes. The cost of a 1 room studio is $1200 including all utilities. 1 bedrooms go for $1200 to $1500 depending on the area.

Hawaii is very good about helping out families. They have WIC and also EBT card (food stamps) which we get $450 per month. We are now living in a studio for $1200. Food is taken care of, but that still leaves only $300 to live off of.

I realize that I will still probably be broke when we move there, but from what I've seen on the cost of apartments, we can get a 2-3 bedroom for the price of the studio we are living in now.

Everyone seems to be poining me towards Summerlin. I've found alot of places that say "Summerlin Area" which I am assuming are not actually in Summerline, but around the outskirts.

Are those areas safe to live in? Does anyone know any good places to find rentals that are actually in Summerlin?

Thanks!
I would recommend Henderson/Green Valley area. Use your friends and contacts to secure employment before you get here if possible. I know many Hawaiians who moved here for the same reasons and have done very well for themselves.

Tortoise grow the f up. I am a capitalist and oppose wic and welfare, etc.. This guy can get away from that in Vegas and become self sufficient. Comments like that are the reason we are so politically divided. I am a conservative, just not an a hole. This guy is looking to stand on his own two feet by making a change. WAY TO MAKE THINGS BETTER.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJA View Post
Thank you for your support. In response to Tortoise, I am not trying to come to vegas to freeload of the government. I do not take pride in paying for food with my foodstamp card.

In the past 7 years, the cost of rent has doubled in Hawaii. I used to have a 2 bedroom for $850 per month. That same 2 bedroom is now $1600 per month. I have 8 years computer experience, 3 years hotel front desk experience, and speak fluent japanese, which is a big plus in Hawaii. The average job here is $9-$10 per hour, which doesn't even cover the rent in most cases.

I hope to come to vegas to advance my career in the hotel industry. I do have 3 years front desk experience, but it doesn't do much good here. It may sound strange, but whites are actually a minority here. There are about 100 hotels and resorts here, but very few have a white person at the front desk. I consider myself lucky just to get in the hotel industry. I'm not trying to blame it on prejudice. It's just that people don't want to save their money for 5-10 years, and spend thousands of dollars to come here and the first person they see is a white guy at the counter. This is a fact. Many guests say it jokingly like "I thought I just left the mainland".

The reason I chose Las Vegas, is the alot of people told me that I can move up quickly in the hotel industry, with my experience.
This experience and these skill sets will be very valuable here as well. Definitely search the other threads on this subject though.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitchr View Post
i am renting a 4 bedroom home in the Vistas in summerlin for $1600.
A 2 bedroom apt is 1200.
its a no brainer for me.

If Craigslist isn't showing homes, then contact a realtor (Or i have 3 realtor friends i can send you to) and they will be MORE than glad to find you a HOME to rent in summerlin. You tell them Summerlin, then a price and they will show you what is out there.
If I bought the home I am in (with only a little downpayment) my mortgage would be way more than 1600 so I think we are just sticking with this for a bit.

Summerlin is beautiful!
Thats a great deal for $1600, but some people would rather be in a smaller place because utilities usually cost more in a 4 bedroom larger home than it is for a 2 bedroom apt. I opted for a smaller single family home to keep my utilities low and its much easier to clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas