Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 914 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from Florida to Las Vegas? We're considering the move due to the severe humidity and the hordes of bugs that hold us hostage indoors for many months every year. Also, we're experiencing joint pain we didn't use to when we lived in California, and not too many years have passed since.

Any advice welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by iroman12; 01-06-2020 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
This is one of the driest, lowest humidity cities in the nation. It's been said that can bring relief to join pain and arthritic conditions. No major insect presence here, except there are roaches, crickets, and moths during the warmer months (grasshoppers last summer were unusual), and they are small sized compared to FL I bet. Not a nuisance, and tend to appear during nighttime hours. Like Florida, Nevada also has no state income tax. Depending on which part of Florida you're in, the winters here will likely be cooler than what you're accustomed to.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
I moved here from Naples, FL. Lived there for four years and hated the six months of daily rain and oppressive dew point more every year. I love the weather in Vegas/Henderson. Yes, a few summer months do get very hot some days, but the dry heat feels great to me. I experience far less joint pain here. A few winter months are a bit cooler than I like, but not bad relative to Illinois where I lived most of my life. I like wearing a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket compared to shorts and T-shirts all winter in Naples and heavy coats, gloves, boots etc in Illinois. For me, Vegas has the best weather I have experienced. I visited friends in San Diego over Labor Day and it was as humid as Naples! California is too expensive and the storms and fires are out of control. Hurricane Irma hit Naples when i lived there! That was it for me, I was outta there.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM

661 posts, read 631,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroman12 View Post
Has anyone moved from Florida to Las Vegas? We're considering the move due to the severe humidity and the hordes of bugs that hold us hostage indoors for many months every year. Also, we're experiencing joint pain we didn't use to when we lived in California, and not too many years have passed since.

Any advice welcome. Thank you!
Flying bugs and humidity are 2 things you will miss in Las Vegas. Although I heard there was a grasshopper invasion this past summer. When I came back from my 10-week vacation to Asia, they were all gone.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Scorpions. Don't forget scorpions.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:41 AM

661 posts, read 631,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Scorpions. Don't forget scorpions.
Haven't seen a scorpion since the day we moved in 10 years ago. It was in the garage and dead.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
We live in northern Nevada and we have very few bugs. I love the dry heat and don’t miss humidity. You couldn’t pay me to live in Florida. Property taxes are cheaper in Nevada.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:57 PM

1,931 posts, read 818,606 times
"We live in northern Nevada and we have very few bugs. I love the dry heat and don’t miss humidity. You couldn’t pay me to live in Florida. Property taxes are cheaper in Nevada."

Property taxes are higher in FL, car registration is lower. Auto insurance is cheaper in FL, house insurance is higher. Winter temps are higher in FL, summer temps are lower, yea I know but it's humid...

Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Nevada has no state income tax. Our property taxes on a house worth 350k is 700/year. Part of the formula is based on the age of your home. I don’t like a warm winter.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:07 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times
Quote:
Our property taxes on a house worth 350k is 700/year
That means you bought it for $70k.

Quote:
Part of the formula is based on the age of your home
Are you still talking about Nevada? I have never heard that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: