Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 02:02 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
If that happened to me the guy would have a 4" blade in his neck. I hope I never need to use it but I always carry a stiletto switch blade. What can I say, I'm Italian.

And surveillance, we find out, is not much of a deterrent but it is very useful in apprehension and prosecution.
So you would have stuck him in the neck if he put his foot on your lap? Okay, but just realize that you'd risk serving a lot of time in prison when you probably could have just walked away. Not to mention it's not as easy as it sounds to just stab someone in the neck like you mention. Sounds like you're just itching to use that blade you carry, at least in this instance. I carry a knife for self defense too, though I'm not Italian, but I know I'd only use it as a last resort.

To correct you last sentence. Surveillance in THIS PARTICULAR CASE was not a deterrent but very useful in apprehending the suspect and probably used in prosecution. I would think surveillance would deter crime to an extent, though of course it will not deter all crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:49 AM

472 posts, read 377,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
So you would have stuck him in the neck if he put his foot on your lap? Okay, but just realize that you'd risk serving a lot of time in prison when you probably could have just walked away. Not to mention it's not as easy as it sounds to just stab someone in the neck like you mention. Sounds like you're just itching to use that blade you carry, at least in this instance. I carry a knife for self defense too, though I'm not Italian, but I know I'd only use it as a last resort.

To correct you last sentence. Surveillance in THIS PARTICULAR CASE was not a deterrent but very useful in apprehending the suspect and probably used in prosecution. I would think surveillance would deter crime to an extent, though of course it will not deter all crime.
That supports my last statement and not correct it.

I'm not itching to hurt anyone, but this had signs of going bad the moment this guy put his legs on his lap.

My hand would have been in my pocket ready, holding my weapon, and willing the moment his legs were unwanted on my lap. And I wouldn't be polite about asking him to remove them. I most definitely threaten him to remove them or we'd have a major problem, and he would have made a major miscalculation. I stand up against ghetto threats regardless of who's threatening me.

Subway crime dropped to near zero following Bernie Goetz vigilante defense years ago. My point is to stand up to crime and danger and it won't be so embolden. Maybe living in NY for 56 years gives me different thoughts on how to combat assaults. We all need to be vigilant in suppressing evil.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 AM

1,086 posts, read 744,933 times
Quote:

I'm not itching to hurt anyone, but this had signs of going bad the moment this guy put his legs on his lap.

My hand would have been in my pocket ready, holding my weapon, and willing the moment his legs were unwanted on my lap. And I wouldn't be polite about asking him to remove them. I most definitely threaten him to remove them or we'd have a major problem, and he would have made a major miscalculation. I stand up against ghetto threats regardless of who's threatening me.

Subway crime dropped to near zero following Bernie Goetz vigilante defense years ago. My point is to stand up to crime and danger and it won't be so embolden. Maybe living in NY for 56 years gives me different thoughts on how to combat assaults. We all need to be vigilant in suppressing evil.
What does "ghetto threats" mean?

I think the above post was right and you could end up in prison. It's not self defense to stab someone just because they put their legs on your lap.

As the saying goes... lighten up Francis.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,379 times
Quote:

I never said cameras prevent ALL crime. This is only evidence that cameras do NOT prevent ALL crime, that's it. I seriously doubt subway crime dropped to "near zero" following the Goetz incident. Any statistics on that? How long did the "near zero" crime last? Also why did the homicide rate peak in 1990 in NYC when the Goetz shooting happened in 1984? Wouldn't that mean crime went up after the shooting? You take a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence (if that) and apply it as a rule to support your idea. Besides, correlation does not always equal causation.

And my point is to pick your battles. You initially stated you'd stab the guy in the neck if he put his feet in your lap. Now you're amending your reaction. I guess having 15 cops show up at my residence, seize my car, and tell me I'm under investigation for a felony assault punishable by up to 5 years in prison also gives me a different perspective than most on when to take action, and when to just walk away with a bruised ego but nothing else bruised.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,479 times
Probably the best thing to do is after the guy put his feet on your legs is to do nothing. In that position, he can’t really do anything. That way you can engage him in conversation. The next best thing is to stand up suddenly and then move to the front of the bus backwards.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 AM

57 posts, read 91,272 times
The attacker must have mental problems, not that I pity him. Who the hell just props their feet on a stranger's lap?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,027,746 times
Quote:
Probably the best thing to do is after the guy put his feet on your legs is to do nothing.
Nothing indicates helpless victim like a passive response.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 AM

1,086 posts, read 744,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Nothing indicates helpless victim like a passive response.
Or a smart person who doesn't want to lose their eye!?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 973 times
Man, guys in their 20's. I understand being frustrated but to that extend? Dunno what pushes them THAT far.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:04 AM

472 posts, read 377,953 times
to Wannabe and longjoe: First off read what I wrote and don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

1. I never said surveillance would stop crime, I said its NOT a deterrent.
2. I never said I'd stab him for putting his legs on me. I said I knew there was trouble the moment he did it and I'd prepare myself. I said I'd verbally confront him first. If he's ready to attack I'd be ready, willing and able.
3. I lived in NY during the Goetz shooting and believe me for months subway and park crime was near non existent. No I don't have any data to back me up, don't need any, my experiences and us having a conservation about it don't warrant the need to do the research.
4. Ghetto threats in my mind are unwarranted surprise physical attacks for robbery, rape and assault. Muggings, jogger abductions, crime like that that usually happens in urban areas. (and I say this without regard to the color of ones skin so dont be painting me as some racist). It was epidemic in the 70s and 80s in NYC.

So before you get condescending to me read what I wrote in the context of how I wrote it. If you want to be a coward and let low lifes get the best of you and our society you just sit there, while I defend myself.

- Francis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas