Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Las Vegas needs more highways, do you all agree with me?
Yes 14 34.15%
No 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 10:58 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,374,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I can't personally cite for a fact, but I have been in cities with timed lights and LV is just bad. Completely off and inefficient. Anecdotal, yes, but it's on another level here; no rhyme or reason.
The rub is that all synchronizing schemes break if they are loaded above some threshold. Basically the set of cars that arrive at an intersection during the green period exceeds the number that can get through . Think about it. For a synchronizing scheme to be fully working there can be only a very few cars arriving during the red.

We regularly use Sahara westbound between Buffalo and Durango. During the evening rush hour it fills up completely during the red cycle. That says any synced cars have no chance of getting through Durango during the next green.

Note we also have major arterials crossing. At that point the max green is half the time presuming the two are dealing with similar loads.

So what we are dealing with may be physics not lack of synchronizing. My first mechanical engineering professor in engineering school was one of the US experts on the subject. We used to get traffic flow problems as homework.

Places where it works well may be lightly loaded or have a one direction orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 11:55 AM

779 posts, read 473,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The rub is that all synchronizing schemes break if they are loaded above some threshold. Basically the set of cars that arrive at an intersection during the green period exceeds the number that can get through . Think about it. For a synchronizing scheme to be fully working there can be only a very few cars arriving during the red.

We regularly use Sahara westbound between Buffalo and Durango. During the evening rush hour it fills up completely during the red cycle. That says any synced cars have no chance of getting through Durango during the next green.

Note we also have major arterials crossing. At that point the max green is half the time presuming the two are dealing with similar loads.

So what we are dealing with may be physics not lack of synchronizing. My first mechanical engineering professor in engineering school was one of the US experts on the subject. We used to get traffic flow problems as homework.

Places where it works well may be lightly loaded or have a one direction orientation.
That has been my thoughts as well. We drive in the same areas and it's just not effective. I wish they would attempt something else if just for the case of trying.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:04 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,585,492 times
Those laws of physics only come into play in Las Vegas. Other cities seem to be exempt as they can get it right.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:31 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
There's no way to cut the right of way for any major highway though the core of the Vegas metro area (as defined as inside the beltway, and the Spring Mountains on the east side. The arterials all have significant flanking usage and are too narrow. it might be possible to close the loop on the belt way in the east side, or not.

So I don't see anything happening as far as new interior highways. I think the I-11 project is the main new highway construction you'll be seeing.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Those laws of physics only come into play in Las Vegas. Other cities seem to be exempt as they can get it right.
The physics are the same but the physical parameters may be very different. Loading and direction play a role. Las Vegas is a square grid with both EW and NS arterials. And it is all overloaded. Lots of towns are various blobs connected by arterials.I did a decade and a hlf in Rochester NY which was structured that way. In general those arterials and the freeways flowed very well. But there were very close to no arterials crossing.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 21,834 times
I actually took the time to read all 34 comments and I agree with a lot of you guys. I just miss how Kansas City and many other metros with a population of around 2-2.5 million have more 50-55+ mph roads than Vegas. Not a deal breaker, though.

I still don't regret moving here. The great weather and entertainment options Vegas offers compensates for the lack of "express" roads.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:32 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,585,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg1988 View Post
I actually took the time to read all 34 comments and I agree with a lot of you guys. I just miss how Kansas City and many other metros with a population of around 2-2.5 million have more 50-55+ mph roads than Vegas. Not a deal breaker, though.

I still don't regret moving here. The great weather and entertainment options Vegas offers compensates for the lack of "express" roads.

We have 50-55 mph+ roads, we just call them 45's

Old 02-04-2020, 03:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,898,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's no way to cut the right of way for any major highway though the core of the Vegas metro area (as defined as inside the beltway, and the Spring Mountains on the east side. The arterials all have significant flanking usage and are too narrow. it might be possible to close the loop on the belt way in the east side, or not.

So I don't see anything happening as far as new interior highways. I think the I-11 project is the main new highway construction you'll be seeing.
Need to take a page from much of the rest of the world and rebuild our roads into this.

https://www.vivanext.com/blog/vivane...2009_08_24.jpg

You see this in all of Latin America, medians can be dedicated to buses or trains, next two lanes are express and last two are "local" for lack of a better word. Kind of surprised it hasn't really made it to the US, but then again these are part of the reason why you don't see too many urban freeways in Latin America either.

Do this to Flamingo or Trop, Rainbow and Eastern to begin with. Its not quite a freeway, but once people get the hang of it traffic flow improves immensely especially for longer travel that doesn't align with the existing freeways. Extra benefit, you can actually make light rail or bus rapid transit work in Vegas.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Need to take a page from much of the rest of the world and rebuild our roads into this.

https://www.vivanext.com/blog/vivane...2009_08_24.jpg

You see this in all of Latin America, medians can be dedicated to buses or trains, next two lanes are express and last two are "local" for lack of a better word. Kind of surprised it hasn't really made it to the US, but then again these are part of the reason why you don't see too many urban freeways in Latin America either.

Do this to Flamingo or Trop, Rainbow and Eastern to begin with. Its not quite a freeway, but once people get the hang of it traffic flow improves immensely especially for longer travel that doesn't align with the existing freeways. Extra benefit, you can actually make light rail or bus rapid transit work in Vegas.
Actually you could get rid of most of the problem buy simply separating the grade where the arterials cross.

Simply take Charleston and fly it over all the major streets and use stop signs on all minor streets or give the arterial 90% priority at all minor ones not stop signed.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:43 PM

755 posts, read 400,513 times
Why is everyone in a big rush? Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas