Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 04:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
In all seriousness have you thought about renting a room in a house? I realize it's not ideal but it's better than sleeping in your car I would think!? Not everybody gets their own studio apartment. When I was in college we always had at least two people per bedroom and sometimes 3 or 4. That's life. You make do. So, while I do have great sympathy for the working homeless I do think people need to find a way to adapt to the reality of their financial situation. I sincerely wish you good luck in finding stability in your life.
That can be hard to find. Housing needs to be built that is just a room and a bathroom. Shared kitchen or no kitchen. Used to there were boarding houses. People making just enough to afford a room has been an issue forever, it's only lately there is nothing to fill that need.

I saw a project in Reno that is like this. They call it a dorm setting. A room with a bed, desk, and a TV. $400/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 04:58 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That can be hard to find. Housing needs to be built that is just a room and a bathroom. Shared kitchen or no kitchen. Used to there were boarding houses. People making just enough to afford a room has been an issue forever, it's only lately there is nothing to fill that need.

I saw a project in Reno that is like this. They call it a dorm setting. A room with a bed, desk, and a TV. $400/month.
There is actually a category on craigslist which is called "Room/Shared." $300-400 including utilities. For example, here is Phoenix:

Craigslist Link

Old 02-25-2020, 05:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
There is actually a category on craigslist which is called "Room/Shared." $300-400 including utilities. For example, here is Phoenix:

Craigslist Link
I meant to find a good fit re: being in someone else's house. There is a need for just rooms to rent.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 PM

113 posts, read 103,774 times
Quote:
It seems you didn't read my post or you completely misunderstood it. Funny, just today at lunch I was talking to a friend (who happens to be a very conservative friend) and we both agreed the working homeless is a significant problem. I am sorry I didn't spell things out more clearly. Good luck to you.

As to sending them to other states and you saying that can't be done. Yesterday Fox5 Las Vegas did a story on exactly that and, in fact, Las Vegas has a program for doing that. Linky dinky
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said and I quote "it doesn't fix the problem" by doing that your just making the homeless someone else's problem instead of taking responsibility for your actions. But I guess I didn't spell that out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72
I question why Tia doesn’t work a second job for six months and save some of that to support a move to somewhere cheaper to live.

My guess is the same reason she can’t find a room to rent...too many pets. Or maybe crazy.
Really? Ever heard of the saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? To answer your dumb questions, 1. How do you know I don't have a second job? 2. I don't have any pets. 3. I'm not crazy. Oh and by the way maybe I'm not looking for a room to rent because I'm not going to live with a complete stranger, that is the stupidest thing to do. And a detail I left out is it's not just me that's homeless but my mom as well because we lost our apartment a few months after I lost my FATHER!!! So maybe you a**holes can get off your high horse and back down to earth and learn how to be civil again, if you ever were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencam
800 for a studio? What part of AZ?

Are you on the list for section 8?
The Glendale/Phoenix area, rents have gone up dramatically. I've looked into the housing authority, they said the wait is 5 years and it's a long list she said which sounded like a hint not to sign up so we didn't.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:34 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said and I quote "it doesn't fix the problem" by doing that your just making the homeless someone else's problem instead of taking responsibility for your actions. But I guess I didn't spell that out for you.

Really? Ever heard of the saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? To answer your dumb questions, 1. How do you know I don't have a second job? 2. I don't have any pets. 3. I'm not crazy. Oh and by the way maybe I'm not looking for a room to rent because I'm not going to live with a complete stranger, that is the stupidest thing to do. And a detail I left out is it's not just me that's homeless but my mom as well because we lost our apartment a few months after I lost my FATHER!!! So maybe you a**holes can get off your high horse and back down to earth and learn how to be civil again, if you ever were.

The Glendale/Phoenix area, rents have gone up dramatically. I've looked into the housing authority, they said the wait is 5 years and it's a long list she said which sounded like a hint not to sign up so we didn't.
Being rude to people (like calling them a**holes) generally is not a good way to go through life even if you strongly feel they are a**holes. It just doesn't warm people up to you and/or wanting to help you. For all you know other people posting here could be super wealthy people looking to help people in need. If I were one of those generous rich people I would help nice people. Just something to consider as you continue your journey through life.

As for you losing your father I am sorry. I have lost my parents, in sudden/tragic circumstances both, and life goes on. What I found is that most everybody will express sympathy for you but beyond that you got to saddle up and keep riding!

You really should consider the idea of renting a room from a stranger as it can be a great way to survive. If you prefer living in your car or whatever you are doing that's your call. I have seen, first hand, some amazing roommate situations that are true win-win situations for all involved.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
It sounds liek you're making YOUR problem everyone else' problem.

All these other people are affording rent with an influx of Californians. Why aren't you?
You might not be doing drugs or being lazy but you're damn sure making bad choices.
I don't even need to know what you're doing to say that. You're homeless. you have clearly made bad choices.
I've been there. I made bad choices and it bit me in the ass.
I started making better choices and I live a hell of a lot better now.
You're perfectly capable of getting a higher paying job right now. Maybe, instead of whining on the internet (also something I've done) you should go learn how to do things people are willing to pay more for like computer programming, welding, nursing, engineering etc etc.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
maybe you a**holes can get off your high horse and back down to earth and learn how to be civil again
Unintended irony is the best irony.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:16 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
your (sic) just making the homeless someone else's problem instead of taking responsibility for your actions
1) Correct. Not my problem.
2) False. Not my actions.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:45 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Some say shelters are dangerous. I saw some homeless people on the strip refuse an offer to go to the Mission. Their plan was to rotate sleeping behind the awake person or people until they had enough to rent a room together where they and their belongings would be safe.
I haven't heard them regarded as dangerous - but I have read that personal belongings tend to walk away while someone is asleep.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:56 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Public housing projects do not have a very good track record. See for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrin...%93Green_Homes

Quote:
Over the years, crime, gang violence and neglect created deplorable living conditions for the residents, and "Cabrini–Green" became a metonym for the problems associated with public housing in the United States. The last of the buildings in Cabrini–Green were demolished in March 2011.
and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsid..._United_States

Quote:
Housing projects have also been seen to greatly increase concentrated poverty in a community, leading to several negative externalities. Crime, drug usage, and educational under-performance are all widely associated with housing projects, particularly in urban areas.
It is difficult to make these things work. Not impossible - but difficult. As a result of their various problems and diminished political support, many of the traditional low-income public housing properties across the nation have been demolished. Neither the Federal Government nor the various State & Local governments are particularly good at managing housing projects. Instead, they would rather demolish public housing in favor of the "Section 8" vouchers. That way, the governments hand out money but the headaches of managing properties fall on the property owners.

Quote:
As a resident of Henderson, I'm 100% in favor of such projects in Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas