Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 AM

5 posts, read 2,997 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I want to relocate to Las Vegas area (Henderson) and we own four small dogs (two Chihuahuas, terrier and beagle). I have read that they have ordinances on how many dogs you can own. And Clark county in Vegas has an ordinance of only owning 3 dogs unless you get a permit. I want to know a few things

Do any of you own four dogs and live in Vegas? Was it easy? How do you get around it?

If we want to rent a house, will renters rent to us (the big property managements) if we own four? Are they laid back in some respect? If we have a permit we can show a renters property.

Surely people in Clark county own four or more dogs, how did they work with this?

Thanks!

I am on a forum and sadly I know people get judgmental so disclaimer : we are fur parents, that means our four rescues are our family and they live inside with us and sleep with us. We are not breeders, we are actually against that. We only rescue. We both have high paying careers and are responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelovesunshine View Post
Hello,

My husband and I want to relocate to Las Vegas area (Henderson) and we own four small dogs (two Chihuahuas, terrier and beagle). I have read that they have ordinances on how many dogs you can own. And Clark county in Vegas has an ordinance of only owning 3 dogs unless you get a permit. I want to know a few things

Do any of you own four dogs and live in Vegas? Was it easy? How do you get around it?

If we want to rent a house, will renters rent to us (the big property managements) if we own four? Are they laid back in some respect? If we have a permit we can show a renters property.

Surely people in Clark county own four or more dogs, how did they work with this?

Thanks!

I am on a forum and sadly I know people get judgmental so disclaimer : we are fur parents, that means our four rescues are our family and they live inside with us and sleep with us. We are not breeders, we are actually against that. We only rescue. We both have high paying careers and are responsible.
My coworker has four dogs. They are all pit bull mixes that she has rescued. This is in NW LV. I don’t think she has a permit or any special permission, but I could be wrong. She might just have them regardless of legality. Has for years now.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:17 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
I would not rent to you knowing that you have 4. Maybe you can offer to put up a heftier pet deposit.

Our current tenant paid a pet deposit for a cat. I drove by the house one day to see that they also have a dog there. They pay on time so we didn't pursue it. We also have a neighbor on the street that keeps an eye out for us.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
I think you can get away with it....it's easier with small dogs, we have the same ordinance in Carson City and I see alot of people with a pack of small dogs...the problem would be finding a landlord to take that many and if neighbors complain because of barking...my neighbor got into trouble because she had four large dogs and they barked all night while she was away, but you can get a permit to have more...she did.
I myself had four at times due to kids moving back in with pets...for the most part its live and let live in Nevada....just do not try and deceive about this when you apply to rent a place....it will be difficult to find a place though...maybe you can try farther out from the city?

Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM

261 posts, read 235,079 times
Your biggest issue is getting a landlord to rent to you.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 AM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
I agree, I am a landlord and my first thought would be the small dogs having accidents inside and neighbors complaining about noise. I gave the neighbor of my rental home our phone number and they have called me about broken sprinklers and such...I believe strongly in being a good neighbor including my rental property.
I also wonder if the landlord could be held liable for the ordinance being broken, research getting that permit first...landlords have to worry about homeowners insurance being dropped if the tenants have certain dog breeds, etc....

Old 02-22-2020, 12:11 PM

204 posts, read 318,978 times
Hate to suggest it but maybe your math skills need some re-configuring. I think it would be best to re-count the number of dogs you currently have. 2+1+1=3. Yep, you only have 3 dogs. I'm really not into lying about things, but your dogs are smallish, and hopefully relatively quiet, so just don't walk all 4 at the same time or let them out at the same time etc and you should be fine.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:45 AM

228 posts, read 197,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1320 View Post
Hate to suggest it but maybe your math skills need some re-configuring. I think it would be best to re-count the number of dogs you currently have. 2+1+1=3. Yep, you only have 3 dogs. I'm really not into lying about things, but your dogs are smallish, and hopefully relatively quiet, so just don't walk all 4 at the same time or let them out at the same time etc and you should be fine.
I agree with Nitro, you really should take a math class. As a pet lover and all of mine, cats and dogs have been rescues. You're just pet sitting your sister's dog till she gets back from Japan or Europe.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We live in Northern Nevada and had 4 small dogs. We owned and no one complained. However, if caught they give you 30 days to get rid of one or build extremely expensive outside kennels that meet certain requirements. It costs my friends a ton of money to comply. When one of ours died we didn’t replace so are now legal.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
I agree with Nitro, you really should take a math class. As a pet lover and all of mine, cats and dogs have been rescues. You're just pet sitting your sister's dog till she gets back from Japan or Europe.

This is what I hate about dog owners. The rules don't apply to them. Check out the supermarket with all the "service" chihuahua's drooling on the produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas