Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 03:08 PM

638 posts, read 593,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
there's just something in the american psyche that sees any interference as a huge invasion of freedom and liberty, next thing theres a 4 hour line at every gun shop while people scream about the stafford act and troops on the street yelling "arm yourself be ready to fight for freedom against government oppression"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM111 View Post
My cutoff is Friday May 1st. After that, it's time to begin gathering other citizens who are not willing to sit by and let Government destroy our rights to provide for our families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
This is one of the reasons the number of infected in the US will be higher than any other country, and no, it's not because of the most amount of tests, it's because of the attitude of a large proportion of its citizens.

I mean you literally couldnt script that more perfectly, I point that out, and THE VERY NEXT post is exactly is a perfect illustration of that weird psyche, and this is the reason as you say that huge amounts of you are going to die. It seems that lot of people think that being dead is preferable to being broke, or are willing to risk their health (which I'm fine with) AND the health of others (which isn't fine).

Trust me as a healthy guy I've had this thing (not confirmed via test) and it is brutal. It took me 13 days to get through it, 7 of those days I spent with a fever of 103.5, counting the hours until I could take my next tylenol dose. The first few days were fine, with good appetite, and after that is when the divergence seems to occur, you either get better, or you get worse. I got bad, felt horrific, and in 10 days lost 10.5lbs. Trust me, its no fun being so hot that the room feels cold that you wake up shivering, watching the clock to load up more meds. I can really see that someone with other health conditions could just crash with this. I can still feel that my lungs have lost capacity even though I feel great now, if I take a big breath in it ends in a coughing fit.

So sure, you might just get a sore throat for a few days and be through it, you could just have 2 weeks of feeling really really bad, or you could just end up drowning while on pure oxygen, unfortunately this isn't your choice, because if you decide to risk it, its also risking other people and their loved ones, which you really do NOT have a right to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 03:09 PM

779 posts, read 471,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Show me one single scientific study without a control that's been published in a reputable journal.

Hint: you won't find one

Quasi-experiments and longitudinal studies abound in reputable journals, especially in social sciences. And in reputable journals.

Hint: they are not ideal compared to a control group.

Hint: a control group is not always possible.

Hint: we will have a much better picture whether distancing worked when we can compare data between cities/states/countries.

Hint: again, it's not perfect.

Hint: part of the scientific method includes a plausible hypothesis.

Hint: social distancing for a communicable virus is a plausible hypothesis.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times
Quote:
Oh? There is absolutely nothing similar about say, NYC & Las Vegas, other than that both cities contain people.

There's absolutely nothing rational about shutting down a state over 80 deaths.
Actually the population density of CA is very similar to that of NY. NV is a good bit lower but still higher than much of the east and mid west. And the strip would be a good approximation of Manhattan.

And you did not shut down over 80 deaths. You shut down over the couple of hundred or so you avoid. It is always the problem that you cannot accurately gauge the path not chosen. But comparing to US averages we are doing well.

And now we need to wait a while and see how it comes out in the end.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:24 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,109,818 times
If you are unwilling to risk being infected STAY YOUR ASS HOME. It's really simple. Infected people aren't going to barge into your home and cough on you.

It's really simple stuff. Don't want infected? Don't go where the infection is aka outside.

I don't like cold. So I moved somewhere warm and I don't go to cold places. I didn't make everyone put a heater ourside so I could stay on the east coast.

Making me comply with YOUR will is what you don't have a right to do.
You do not have the right to shut down my jobs. You do not have the right to shut down my community. You do not have the right to control any part of my life.

You want to avoid a virus. YOU stay inside.
I don't really care, I'm going outside. If I catch it and die that's my own fault. I know the risk. I'm a goddamn adult.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:30 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,055,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I mean you literally couldnt script that more perfectly, I point that out, and THE VERY NEXT post is exactly is a perfect illustration of that weird psyche, and this is the reason as you say that huge amounts of you are going to die. It seems that lot of people think that being dead is preferable to being broke, or are willing to risk their health (which I'm fine with) AND the health of others (which isn't fine).

Trust me as a healthy guy I've had this thing (not confirmed via test) and it is brutal. It took me 13 days to get through it, 7 of those days I spent with a fever of 103.5, counting the hours until I could take my next tylenol dose. The first few days were fine, with good appetite, and after that is when the divergence seems to occur, you either get better, or you get worse. I got bad, felt horrific, and in 10 days lost 10.5lbs. Trust me, its no fun being so hot that the room feels cold that you wake up shivering, watching the clock to load up more meds. I can really see that someone with other health conditions could just crash with this. I can still feel that my lungs have lost capacity even though I feel great now, if I take a big breath in it ends in a coughing fit.

So sure, you might just get a sore throat for a few days and be through it, you could just have 2 weeks of feeling really really bad, or you could just end up drowning while on pure oxygen, unfortunately this isn't your choice, because if you decide to risk it, its also risking other people and their loved ones, which you really do NOT have a right to do.
Oh please. Nobody is risking the health of others any more than any other virus like the flu or common cold.

*YOU* are responsible for your health. If you don't want to be exposed to it, don't leave your house.

People like you are asking millions of other to put their lives on hold, while placing themselves at risk of bankruptcy, homelessness, and starvation.

Boomers are THE most selfish and lazy generation that has ever walked this earth.

Instead of having targeted quarantines for vulnerable populations... because you know that would be real work... just shut it all down. Brilliant!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Quasi-experiments and longitudinal studies abound in reputable journals, especially in social sciences. And in reputable journals.

Hint: they are not ideal compared to a control group.

Hint: a control group is not always possible.

Hint: we will have a much better picture whether distancing worked when we can compare data between cities/states/countries.

Hint: again, it's not perfect.

Hint: part of the scientific method includes a plausible hypothesis.

Hint: social distancing for a communicable virus is a plausible hypothesis.
OMG "social sciences" aren't sciences at all. You expect me to believe the ramblings of idiots who spout crap like "gender is whatever you feel today?" The same people who tell me wanting to cut your junk off isn't mental illness?

The scientific method requires a control group. Period.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If you are unwilling to risk being infected STAY YOUR ASS HOME. It's really simple. Infected people aren't going to barge into your home and cough on you.

It's really simple stuff. Don't want infected? Don't go where the infection is aka outside.

I don't like cold. So I moved somewhere warm and I don't go to cold places. I didn't make everyone put a heater ourside so I could stay on the east coast.

Making me comply with YOUR will is what you don't have a right to do.
You do not have the right to shut down my jobs. You do not have the right to shut down my community. You do not have the right to control any part of my life.

You want to avoid a virus. YOU stay inside.
I don't really care, I'm going outside. If I catch it and die that's my own fault. I know the risk. I'm a goddamn adult.
I know this is off point, but EA, if you do get the opportunity to go out and take photos, please post them. I think you’re a fantastic photographer. (More mountain scenes..hint hint). I’m stuck inside due to cancer, I really like seeing your photos. Is the sphere being built yet or the new convention center?

Old 04-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually the population density of CA is very similar to that of NY. NV is a good bit lower but still higher than much of the east and mid west. And the strip would be a good approximation of Manhattan.

And you did not shut down over 80 deaths. You shut down over the couple of hundred or so you avoid. It is always the problem that you cannot accurately gauge the path not chosen. But comparing to US averages we are doing well.

And now we need to wait a while and see how it comes out in the end.
The strip isn't anything like Manhattan. Density is way higher in downtown Manhattan. Additionally, people are actually in the building in Manhattan right now. The strip is empty.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I know this is off point, but EA, if you do get the opportunity to go out and take photos, please post them. I think you’re a fantastic photographer. (More mountain scenes..hint hint). I’m stuck inside due to cancer, I really like seeing your photos. Is the sphere being built yet or the new convention center?

I was planning to go get some tomorrow after alll the rain we were supposed to have but... got just enough to dirty my windshield.
But I'll go get some this weekend.
Sorry to hear about your condition.

Sphere is underway.
Convention center is well underway.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:42 PM

779 posts, read 471,140 times
/
Quote:
OMG "social sciences" aren't sciences at all. You expect me to believe the ramblings of idiots who spout crap like "gender is whatever you feel today?" The same people who tell me wanting to cut your junk off isn't mental illness?

The scientific method requires a control group. Period.

OMG.

Read what I actually wrote. S L O W L Y. You're now dealing in fallacies.

Social sciences are sciences. Not all social sciences deal with your examples. But nice cop out.

SO I WILL REPEAT: Not all studies can have a control. Even in your "real" science. They are in journals. Feel free to find them.

And lastly, please tell me where in the scientific method there is a requirement for a control group.

Your argument is laughable and riddled with flaws/fallacies.

You can't win them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas