Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 PM

13 posts, read 51,775 times

Advertisements

I will be driving a 17' U-Haul truck from Dallas to Las Vegas. Any advice on how to schedule drive time, where to stop, which route to take, what to pay attention to is greatly appreciated.

SUV is my regular ride, I have very infrequently driven such a large truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Take your time....keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down....

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default Pods

If the time frame works, you should consider PODS. I used it to move from out of state and it's a real no brainer.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 31,482 times
I don't think you can go over the dam. That may have changed though.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuth View Post
I will be driving a 17' U-Haul truck from Dallas to Las Vegas. Any advice on how to schedule drive time, where to stop, which route to take, what to pay attention to is greatly appreciated.

SUV is my regular ride, I have very infrequently driven such a large truck.
17 feet is not a big truck. My camper van was 19 ft and my wife drove it to work everyday. But keep in mind it is heavier so allow a little more stopping room. I am under the impression those things have governors anyway so you probably won't be going too fast. You might get a little nervous coming down the mountain onto Hoover Dam on the Arizona side, then going up again on the Nevada side. There is also a really long grade on I-40 just outside of Albuquerque that you might want to watch for overheating and maybe turn off the a/c. Probably not though. Here is a Mapquest I did showing good towns to stop for the night if you are too tired to go on.

Driving Directions from Dallas, TX to Tucumcari, NM and then to Albuquerque to Flaggstaff to Las Vegas.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regenald View Post
I don't think you can go over the dam. That may have changed though.
I think you can but according to this they might make you empty it out to inspect it:

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

You'd be better off going through Laughlin probably. It's a little further but might save a big hassle and there are long delays at the dam anyway sometimes. Here's a modified route from Flagstaff.

Driving Directions from Flagstaff, AZ to Laughlin, NV

Old 04-26-2008, 03:44 AM

21 posts, read 126,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I think you can but according to this they might make you empty it out to inspect it:

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

You'd be better off going through Laughlin probably. It's a little further but might save a big hassle and there are long delays at the dam anyway sometimes. Here's a modified route from Flagstaff.

Driving Directions from Flagstaff, AZ to Laughlin, NV
I bought a truck on ebay from McKinney, TX three years ago. I flew down and drove it back. I agree with this guy. Come up through Laughlin. It is easier than the dam. It takes about 20-22 hours with stops. We took our time though. We came across Dallas to Amarillo I think it was and from there to Flagstaff. Don't do PODS. You can do it np. It is an easy drive. I drove one of those cross country the first time I drove it. Just remember you are longer and need to make your turns wider.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 AM

remember...you are NOT allowed to cross the river at Hoover dam....period....

The easiest cross is on Interstate 40 then turn north thru Searchlight.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
remember...you are NOT allowed to cross the river at Hoover dam....period....

The easiest cross is on Interstate 40 then turn north thru Searchlight.
Haven't been over there for a while but I imagine there will be huge signs just this side of Kingman telling you that.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 PM

actually.....since AZ government isn't much better then anyone elses....there IS one easy to miss sign at the cutoff to Laughlin and another just before you hit the checkpoint.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas