Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Las Vegas economy on January 1st. 2021
Better than now 15 44.12%
Same, no change 5 14.71%
Run of the mill recession 11 32.35%
Full blown depression 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 10:42 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Do you have other sources for "time and time again" other than this article about an era (and economy) that was vastly different than today.

Thanks.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/publ...ural-disasters

https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi...urnalCode=rest

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/b...-1st-eich.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...rpower/384034/

The Economic Development of Postwar Germany

Old 03-16-2020, 01:59 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
With less old people, economy is gonna boom.

A lot of so-called "old" people spend a lot of money in this town. Just because they get old in society's terms, does not mean they are worthless human beings anymore. We are all getting older. Even you. So someday someone will dismiss you as worthless as well no doubt.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:01 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I voted for better than now. Because maybe supermarkets will be back to normal and the hoarders no longer hoarding toilet paper and water and all other shelf stable foods. And there should be enough for all again.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
With less old people, economy is gonna boom.
The Millennials, as a whole, have no desire to own a car, let alone drive one. They're game changers thru and thru and many are still burdened with student loans, living with Mom and Dad. So how are they going to be a big stimulant to the economy. A big stimulant to the economy is cancelling their student loans. Just think how much extra money they'd have to stimulate the economy and housing market.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM

395 posts, read 272,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The Millennials, as a whole, have no desire to own a car, let alone drive one. They're game changers thru and thru and many are still burdened with student loans, living with Mom and Dad. So how are they going to be a big stimulant to the economy. A big stimulant to the economy is cancelling their student loans. Just think how much extra money they'd have to stimulate the economy and housing market.
I can't buy this argument. So "we" cancel their student debt but where does
this magical money come from? The taxpayes of course...or piling it into the national
debt and then we're on the hook for interest payments. I don't find that much of a stimulant
but more of a sophisticated shell game exchanging one pile of debt for another and
leaving a different set of individuals on the hook for it.

I'm pretty liberal but I certainly don't wanna assume someone else's debt that
made their own choices to accumulate. No one forced them to attend an expensive
college and rack up loans.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:52 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes! Let's cancel ALL loans! And give everyone $1,000,000! Imagine the stimulus to the economy!

Old 03-16-2020, 10:12 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
A lot of so-called "old" people spend a lot of money in this town. Just because they get old in society's terms, does not mean they are worthless human beings anymore. We are all getting older. Even you. So someday someone will dismiss you as worthless as well no doubt.
I'm sure they do. They also eat up medicare ss welfare absfood stamps. They also keep good jobs and houses. They also hoard money.

I'm already planning to exit the world when I reach annadvanced age. Going to practice what I preach.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:25 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
I don't understand this thread, define "better than now"?

What are you talking about exactly, unemployment, inflation, stock market levels, house prices? There needs to be a yardstick, something well defined. If you're talking about GDP, then which timeframe and which date exactly, Quarter? Year?

Of course there's going to be a global recession, there's no stopping it.

You will also need to define full blown depression, since there are a few ways to define a depression

Old 03-16-2020, 06:43 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I don't understand this thread, define "better than now"?

What are you talking about exactly, unemployment, inflation, stock market levels, house prices? There needs to be a yardstick, something well defined. If you're talking about GDP, then which timeframe and which date exactly, Quarter? Year?

Of course there's going to be a global recession, there's no stopping it.

You will also need to define full blown depression, since there are a few ways to define a depression

I think unemployment, inflation, tourism numbers/spending, hotel occupancy, and crime numbers would be some good metrics to use. I do not think housing prices nor the stock market are relevant to this thread. The dot com bust would be a good example of a run of the mill recession. A full blown depression would have the metrics above being worse than the crash of 2008, since it was very close to being a depression.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:00 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,003 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RssY4EmA4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: