Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,697 times

Advertisements

I live here and do not hate it or very often go out of my way to bash this city, but I can say I would not want to raise children here. If I did, I would home school them or send them to a private school. I am an adult, and when I drive by a school bus stop here in town it just looks like a bunch of little thug gang bangers hanging around. These kids look nothing like the kids I went to school with back on the east coast, which was only ten years ago. These kids all look like they are on drugs. Im not blaming the town for this, indeed it likely is the parents. But, you could say that a lot of parents who move out here MIGHT be bad parents. Many possibly work odd hours and are just not around to keep an eye on them.

CCSD has similar problems to the school systems of major urban areas. But as I have pointed out before, Las Vegas is a relatively small city; I just dont get why we have so many big city problems here. In terms of the education here, I would guess that the influx of students who do not speak English is likely slowing the entire district down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times
I don't know, but 2 million does not seem small. I work in the schools here, in a city voted #6 safest in US. Schools are blue ribbon. I think the kids look thugish too. I can't believe what they get away with. The stealing at jr. high level. From the cafeteria!! Different world today. But my grandparents thought the Beatles were too. Amazing what 10 years can do.

I can't wait to come out Tuesday. I want to go to the schools. Drive by the bus stops and compare-even visually-the differences. I want to watch the news, drive in the "awful" traffic, really see the nasty billboards again from a moving out there view, not visitor. Then when I come back to MI, I will take a good look around and see if I see differences in lifestyle. I know it is not the same as living there, but we'll see.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,697 times
I think watching the local news and checking in on the websites is one of the best ways you can get a taste for whats going on. KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. KTNV News, Las Vegas Now | Homepage News, and Las Vegas's source for breaking news, headlines, weather and sports | Fox5 - KVVU are good places to stop in once in a while.

Make sure you hit North Las Vegas, Henderson, and Las Vegas. If you do move out and get a teaching gig you could end up working in any one of these cities.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 AM

56 posts, read 223,422 times
I live in Minneapolis. I have heard of lot's of gang shootings here. A month or so ago there was 3 killings in one week-end in the uptown area (right outside downtown mpls). I have heard of a couple of road rage situtations, one of them was were a man ran an old lady off the road for cutting him off, got out of his car and punched her in the face! My son was attacked walking home from the busstop about 6 yrs ago, approached by some teens for money, was punched in the face and had 7 broken teeth! This was in a suburb area that most consider a safe area.
When you drive on the highway and need to change lanes, the person next to you will more than likely speed up to not let you over.. I could go on but don't want to ramble!
I wonder where Mpls/St. Paul is on the list of safe cities to raise your kids?????

Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,630 times
I have to laugh, our kids look like thugs?? Give me a break, that's what people say of every generation of kids. When I was a teen in the eighties, they were saying the same thing about us and the way we dressed and styled our hair. I do admit our kids are more aware of things now a days, but I blame that on everything that is on tv. I cannot believe there are parents out there that let their kids watch Southpark , the Simpsons and Family Guy and gosh knows what else. My kids know better because I tell them what is appropriate and what is not. I also use parental locks on the family tv along with not letting them have access to tv stations in their bedroom. They also have limited internet access at home. These parents are also letting kids play games that are rated M in elementary.

I was apprehensive at first when we moved out here a year ago. I worried about the education here, but I did my homework, found a good school in a nice neighborhood and I couldn't be happier. I am very involved in my kids education and their school. I know what goes on in the classrooms from being a sub and a parent volunteer. You can definitely tell the difference between kids that have good parental support and the kids that are left to fend for themselves.

Teach your kid good values and morals and raise them consistently with lots of love, they will flourish anywhere that you live.
Again do not believe that all children here in Las Vegas are thugs. Visit the schools and you will see plenty of wonderful kids who will be future doctors, lawyers, teachers, police, computer geeks, management, nurses and everything else under the sun. Even some of the thugs might grow up and realize the bad choices they made as a kid and make a difference for the future generations of kids.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,330,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I live here and do not hate it or very often go out of my way to bash this city, but I can say I would not want to raise children here. If I did, I would home school them or send them to a private school. I am an adult, and when I drive by a school bus stop here in town it just looks like a bunch of little thug gang bangers hanging around. These kids look nothing like the kids I went to school with back on the east coast, which was only ten years ago. These kids all look like they are on drugs. Im not blaming the town for this, indeed it likely is the parents. But, you could say that a lot of parents who move out here MIGHT be bad parents. Many possibly work odd hours and are just not around to keep an eye on them.

CCSD has similar problems to the school systems of major urban areas. But as I have pointed out before, Las Vegas is a relatively small city; I just dont get why we have so many big city problems here. In terms of the education here, I would guess that the influx of students who do not speak English is likely slowing the entire district down.
You are correct. Las Vegas = THUGS. Doesn't matter what endeavour-- business, medicine, entertainment, education, service industry---"Sin City", "What Happens Here Stays Here", "Your Vegas Is Showing", "Babes Direct to Your Room, call 696-9696----CESSPOOL.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,469,960 times
It all depends on the parents. You are the one that is with your child the most and have the most influence on your child. If you leave your child to raise themselves, and are not a parent that is involved with your child's life, then yes they are going to be thugs and just learn from their friends. Parents need to be parents, plain and simple.

Look at the Palo Verde Shooting. One of the students being charge with the shooting, has a father that was charged a year or two ago for shooting also. Children learn from their parents. If you do not set a good example for your children then of course expect them to be "thugs".

Sex is apart of most things kids see in life from TV shows to Magazines to billboards. If you shelter your kids from it, then you will basically have to shut your kids off from most of everything. Sheltering kids does not help them in the real world. You just need to make sure to teach them right from wrong. And hope that they listen to you. But believe me, most of us adults tried and did different things that we were told by our parents were wrong. Unfortunately, we all had to learn from our mistakes, just like our kids are going to have to do. We can't be with our kids 24/7 but at least what we teach them will hopefully stay in thier minds.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times
I think that people who do not have children will make the negative comments. Or they haven't lived through their kids teen years yet. I don't care who you are, kids can take a wrong turn. I hear about it all the time. I suggest we look for some positive comments. What are the "good" kids doing in the schools? I know they are there but so much attention is put on the negative that the kids causing problems feel like celebrities and the "good" kids get ignored.

As sad as kids shooting anywhere and anyone, maybe we should showcase the valedictorians or the ones who won awards, the honor children. We just don't hear much about them now, do we? You can watch the news or read the papers to hear about the bad things that happen (and they do happen everywhere). I think when I get there I would like to highlight those things. Betcha there will be less interest here.

Last edited by kimba01; 04-25-2008 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,469,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think that people who do not have children will make the negative comments. Or they haven't lived through their kids teen years yet. I don't care who you are, kids can take a wrong turn. I hear about it all the time. I suggest we look for some positive comments. What are the "good" kids doing in the schools? I know they are there but so much attention is put on the negative that the kids causing problems feel like celebrities and the "good" kids get ignored.

As sad as kids shooting anywhere and anyone, maybe we should showcase the valedictorians or the ones who won awards, the honor children. We just don't hear much about them now, do we? You can watch the news or read the papers to hear about the bad things that happen (and they do happen everywhere). I think when I get there I would like to highlight those things. Betcha there will be less interest here.
So true!!! It would be nice to hear the good things not just the bad. Unfortunately, people don't think that is the news. Which is really sad!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM

12 posts, read 62,073 times
Go to ccsd.net and find the accountability reports for ANY school you may send your children to. Very easy to do and then easy to decide where to live.
You have to check out the West (nw or sw, too) side of town (Henderson is good, too).

I live in summerlin 4 miles from the Red Rock Canyon Conservation area. It's beautiful.
I have 3 beautiful parks within 1 mile of my home. The Summerlin Pools are very nice and not always crowded, as most people have their own pools.... Not me yet!
The parks and rec dept offers so many things your kids can do for reasonable prices.
I agree it 's more what you do as a parent, how involved you are that will matter most.
Home prices are outrageous compared to the midwest but cheap compared to Cali.

everyone (almost) is from somewhere else so its easy to make friends!
go to meetup.com and check out all the social groups you can join, both for parents and just adults looking to form friendships.

We rarely go to the strip, as this side of town has everything we need and is what I would call "family oriented".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas