Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 05:55 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
WFH is more appropriate for those who are paid for performance, not hours worked.
I can vouch for that. I get paid per job and not per hour. I try to be the most efficient for the amount of hours worked. That leads to larger earnings and less waste of time because I get more done in a day compared to others. Maybe this will shift to people who work from. Home? My father is in his late 80s and he works from home. He teaches English online and gets paid per appointment. He is so busy that he can book himself for everyday of the week. For someone who is at his age he is very productive considering all he needs is his brains and knowledge and an internet connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 05:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
My shifts were all salaried workers. They didn't get *no* work done but there was a clear decline in numbers when left unsupervised.

Some people have no problem staying engaged but a lot of people have a tendency to get side tracked when left tho their own devices. I think it's easier to stay motivated when you're in an environment with a bunch of other people who are also working. It reinforces a productive mindset vs a leisurely one. Also, WFH presents some other obstacles like access to equipment, unexpected interruptions like kids running into the room (has happened twice on the local news already since they've been shooting from home), doorbells ringing etc.
I supervised large engineering groups. All engineers, scientists or technicians. To a very large degree the troops were self regulating. Any one not carrying their weight would get leaned on more by coworkers and interface people. In general we were utterly lenient about things like working hours and taking time off. In fact the only thing that would happen if a guy went utterly south is we would tell him to shape up or find a new job. Maybe lost 4 or 5 people out of what totaled to over a thousand on the two coasts. Only guy that ever got fired was for misusing our fancy board drawing system. And he would not have gotten fired for that except he forced one of his guys to work on company and his own time on an outside project. If he had simply been moonlighting we would simply have told him to stop.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I can vouch for that. I get paid per job and not per hour. I try to be the most efficient for the amount of hours worked. That leads to larger earnings and less waste of time because I get more done in a day compared to others. Maybe this will shift to people who work from. Home? My father is in his late 80s and he works from home. He teaches English online and gets paid per appointment. He is so busy that he can book himself for everyday of the week. For someone who is at his age he is very productive considering all he needs is his brains and knowledge and an internet connection.
Maybe. The FLSA ( Fair Labor Standards Act) lays out some restrictions on the type of work that is eligible for various positions such as hourly, salaried, and piecework. Specifically, I know there are some legal issues with assigning certain types of labor as piecwork, because those same types of labor may also be entitled to certain benefits which makes it a legal quagmire. It's the same kind of thing Uber is now being caught up in with the gig economy stuff.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Telework is as much about the employee as it is the type of work. My spouse's measures of effectiveness as set by her company are significantly higher than her in-office peers. Her team, which is a hybrid of telework and in-office, bills more than any other team in the company--by a long shot. When the decision to send everyone home happened, did they seek input and advice from her? Nope. They asked the in-office folks what they needed to effectively telework--the list of demands was comical. My wife has not used a sheet of paper in 3 years. Her peers are still using paper to function and told management they needed scanners and fax machines, or they would need to sneak into the office to reproduce docs or acquire docs from clients. I hold little hope for the survival of her company.

I believe the biggest loser in all of this will be the taxpayer. Education is a good example. They are going to just go back to status quo for the most part. Instead of refining the backbone and LMS "they" had to jump on, expand, and modify--most will re-open large lecture halls and the same students will walk in, sit down, and open a tablet or laptop, connect to the wifi, and pretend the brick and mortar traditions matter.

CCSD will probably be unable to overcome gov bureaucracy to garner the savings from no buses running, buildings in "hibernation" and other programs that require presence. Who will babysit the children?

Old 04-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
They asked the in-office folks what they needed to effectively telework--the list of demands was comical. My wife has not used a sheet of paper in 3 years. Her peers are still using paper to function and told management they needed scanners and fax machines, or they would need to sneak into the office to reproduce docs or acquire docs from clients. I hold little hope for the survival of her company.
Years back I tried to move a company I worked for to digital fax by e-mail and the literal revolt from Accounting and HR was astounding. I kept pointing out all of the benefits like, it comes straight to your e-mail, you can search them on your own computer, you can archive them and keep them forever if you want, no excess paper use, etc but they weren't having it. All I kept hearing was "but, if I want a paper copy now I will have to manually print it out!" Oh, the horror!

I ended up setting them up to auto-print on the local printer and the CFO pitched a fit because they were now coming out on the printer and not the fax. I then mentioned that using the system, I could even assign her a DID for the fax that would have them come out directly on the printer at her desk and then suddenly she was interested.

A couple things I did take away were that some of the vendors we used were still fax-only and also there were some issues with HR and HIPAA regulations that required them to use a separate fax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
CCSD will probably be unable to overcome gov bureaucracy to garner the savings from no buses running, buildings in "hibernation" and other programs that require presence. Who will babysit the children?
CCSD is a huge mess and after having worked there, I don't understand how they came to have some of the organizational structures they have. For instance, IT is split into 5 completely separate departments that, organizationally, don't have any relation to each other. LAN/WANs are run by one group while Internet access is run by a completely different group and Desktop Support is yet another completely different group and Server infrastructure is yet another group, and Mainframe is yet another and basically none of them fall under the same leadership with the exception of Servers & Networking but don't be fooled because they do not function together in any way.

I've worked for some extremely large organizations and I have never seen any other org operate IT in this manner. Its just plain bizarre.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
I too don't think much will change once this is over. We are quick to forget and quick to move on the the next "big" story.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:26 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Quote:
Years back I tried to move a company I worked for to digital fax by e-mail and the literal revolt from Accounting and HR was astounding. I kept pointing out all of the benefits like, it comes straight to your e-mail, you can search them on your own computer, you can archive them and keep them forever if you want, no excess paper use, etc but they weren't having it. All I kept hearing was "but, if I want a paper copy now I will have to manually print it out!" Oh, the horror!

I ended up setting them up to auto-print on the local printer and the CFO pitched a fit because they were now coming out on the printer and not the fax. I then mentioned that using the system, I could even assign her a DID for the fax that would have them come out directly on the printer at her desk and then suddenly she was interested.

A couple things I did take away were that some of the vendors we used were still fax-only and also there were some issues with HR and HIPAA regulations that required them to use a separate fax.

CCSD is a huge mess and after having worked there, I don't understand how they came to have some of the organizational structures they have. For instance, IT is split into 5 completely separate departments that, organizationally, don't have any relation to each other. LAN/WANs are run by one group while Internet access is run by a completely different group and Desktop Support is yet another completely different group and Server infrastructure is yet another group, and Mainframe is yet another and basically none of them fall under the same leadership with the exception of Servers & Networking but don't be fooled because they do not function together in any way.

I've worked for some extremely large organizations and I have never seen any other org operate IT in this manner. Its just plain bizarre.
Having access to all files under your e-mail can also be a negative if the e-mail accounts are compromised in any way. Maybe that was the reason they wanted to keep things as they were?

Old 04-14-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Having access to all files under your e-mail can also be a negative if the e-mail accounts are compromised in any way. Maybe that was the reason they wanted to keep things as they were?
I implemented mandatory encryption as well as auto-generated scrambled passwords during my time there. We were moving towards two-factor auth and actively testing RSA SecureID tokens at the time I left. This was in '08 so well before the curve as security was not as big an issue then as it is today (although clearly, I could see the threat on the horizon).

At any rate, standard faxes are not encrypted in any way. It's basically a 200dpi TIFF file sent over the phone line at 9.6kbps or possibly faster with a newer fax. Anybody who can record a fax line with a tape recorder can play it back through their soundcard and decode it with appropriate software.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:00 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Quote:
I implemented mandatory encryption as well as auto-generated scrambled passwords during my time there. We were moving towards two-factor auth and actively testing RSA SecureID tokens at the time I left. This was in '08 so well before the curve as security was not as big an issue then as it is today (although clearly, I could see the threat on the horizon).

At any rate, standard faxes are not encrypted in any way. It's basically a 200dpi TIFF file sent over the phone line at 9.6kbps or possibly faster with a newer fax. Anybody who can record a fax line with a tape recorder can play it back through their soundcard and decode it with appropriate software.
That would require wiretapping a phone line which isn't something that some Nigerian scammer is going to be doing.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
That would require wiretapping a phone line which isn't something that some Nigerian scammer is going to be doing.
A lot of it is done over VoIP now and typically unencrypted. It arguably makes the process even easier because you can reassemble the packets and extract the file with Wireshark and then open it right up on the same computer.

At any rate, 409 scams typically target the older demographic via email with some type of bait like "I need your help to wire transfer funds to my friend in the US" which I'm surprised anyone actually falls for, but apparently they do.

In the context of the time, a couple of alligator clips, a resistor, some wire, a 1/8" headphone jack, and a microcasette tape recorder with vox function weren't exactly unobtanium and easily hidden. Anyone with a white work van can pull up next to a CenturyLink box, open the door with a pen knife, and attach the equipment inside the cabinet and retrieve it at a later date.

Nowadays you could probably automate the whole process with a Raspberry Pi and text the result straight to a phone number of your choosing in real time.

Like I said, the data isn't even encrypted so it's pretty much child's play for anyone who's taken some basic Linux coursework and who understands electronics. Anyone with a computer science degree could accomplish this it's really not too difficult an exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: