Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 177,185 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone.

I'm moving to Las Vegas from Florida sometime in September (my job is transferring me). Besides the actual move out there, I've got only one concern: poisonous insects vs my animals.

I have 2 small dogs, a 4.5lbs Papillon and a 9lbs Tibetan Spaniel, and a 13lbs cat. All 3 spend a great deal of time outside as well as inside.

I'm not so much worried about me getting stung or bitten by anything, as I've never had an allergic reaction to anything, and I have great health insurance. My concern is for my animals. I don't know how much they'll try to attack or "hunt" any of these things, but I'm concerned that if they do, and get stung while I'm at work or something, then I won't be there to get them to a vet right away.

I usually leave all 3 of them outside here, and since I've never even been there to visit, I'm not sure if they will be left outside there (because of the heat). So they likely be in their crate during the day, or in the bathroom for longer periods of time.

Am I worrying for nothing? What do I do?

Also, what other types of creatures should I worry about? I've heard mention of Black Widows, but anything else would be greatly appreciated. (Please NO pictures of spiders. I can stomach anything else, but seeing spiders is too much.)

If anyone has any suggestions for living with my crew in LV, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
~Jayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,856,429 times
Black widows and scorpions are a reality. The scorps don't bother me, but the black widows creep me out big time.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,457,305 times
Yep biggest concern will be Scorpions and Spiders. But you got to remember that the insects are more afraid of you and your dogs. But if they do get stung then you just need to keep an eye out for them. If they seem to be lethargic and not eating or drinking I would take them to the vet. It just depends if they have an allergic reaction to the poison. If you when you move you notice insect activity, then get regular Pest Control Maintenance, which is safe for your dogs and yourself. I always suggest monthly service for the summer months, usually End of April through beginning of October, and in the winter bi-monthly or quarterly service.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
and.....we don't have Aligators........

Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
We have one in our wonderful zoo , he's in a small little pool. I get sad looking at him stuck in that small space!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yep biggest concern will be Scorpions and Spiders. But you got to remember that the insects are more afraid of you and your dogs. But if they do get stung then you just need to keep an eye out for them. If they seem to be lethargic and not eating or drinking I would take them to the vet. It just depends if they have an allergic reaction to the poison. If you when you move you notice insect activity, then get regular Pest Control Maintenance, which is safe for your dogs and yourself. I always suggest monthly service for the summer months, usually End of April through beginning of October, and in the winter bi-monthly or quarterly service.
Great! I was hoping you'd respond, I've read a lot of your previous posts, so it sounds like you've got some experience.

So, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if the venom in most these little creatures isn't going to be enough on it's own to hurt any of my animals, same as with humans, but only if there's an allergic reaction.

My next question will stem from this one: If you factor out the heat, how safe is it for them outside, like in a fenced in backyard, for extended periods of time? What kinds of predators/creatures do I need to be aware of?

I've never lived anywhere with a similar environment to Nevada, so I'm trying to figure out what to expect so I can keep my dogs safe.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LOL!!!

I actually have never seen an alligator in the wild, only at zoos.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yep biggest concern will be Scorpions and Spiders. But you got to remember that the insects are more afraid of you and your dogs.
Spiders and scorpions are arachnids, not insects.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenRose View Post
LOL!!!

I actually have never seen an alligator in the wild, only at zoos.
have you checked your bathroom lately????????????????

Your dawgs will have absolutely no problem outside as long as you have shade, water [lots of water] and food for them.....our two have open access to the house at any time and prefer the outside.....asleep in the shade of the apricot tree.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM

I don't have dogs, but from one thing I have heard. It depends on if you have shade in your back yard during the daytime when the heat is the worse, also what kid of dogs do you have? I have heard the hairier they are the worse it is for them. I could be wrong.

Yes, you are right about the allergic reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas