Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 09:19 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Totally agree about SF. I find it to be so overrated. Crappy weather year round. Heck I am a pretty liberal guy so don't mind the politics for the most part but even those make me raise my eye brows occasionally.
On the other hand, the east bay has amazing weather. Summer months are 75/55. Winter months are 60/45. Plenty of sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineville0493 View Post
Why not just move to San Diego? I love the weather and the Mexican food there,,, yummmm
It varies. I have a couple of long term clients from San Diego working on moving to Las Vegas. Expect in the end all will end up here. Complicated as the total amount of San Diego real estate is up into the 5 or 6 million area. So how to get it all done with minimum tax liability. One already screwed up. Sold a 750K rental and did not do a proper exchange. Cost him 70 or 80 grand in taxes. Stupid financial adviser.

Complaint is about the climate. Too wet. And too congested.

I lived in the coastal plane up in OC. We left over the weather and taxes. In fact if push came to shove we would have stayed in CA...but at least 20 miles off the coast.

Your mileage may vary. It is a question of what you value.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
On the other hand, the east bay has amazing weather. Summer months are 75/55. Winter months are 60/45. Plenty of sun.
I looked at it very seriously in the early 90s. Palo Alto or close. Beats the heck out of virtually anywhere. Had friends including some of my prior direct reports who went there. And loved it. Would have had to keep working to go there and that turned out to be the driver of not doing it.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:14 AM

341 posts, read 293,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
Im just about ready to move out there and everyone's going to leave?
LV isn't going away, and I am still planning on moving there eventually. Just don't know when I can. I used to live in Phoenix also so I know between NorCal where I live now (and don't like), and Phoenix and LV, LV is still my top pick. It's the perfect size for me (not too big not too small), lots to do, close to SoCal and Phoenix for visits and still relatively affordable.

As someone else in the thread said no place is perfect, so people just have to weigh the pros and cons of a certain place and decide if it will work for them. I am sure when I leave CA there will be plenty of people that will be more than happy to take my place, just as anyone leaving LV will find people more than happy to take their place. People come and people go and over time it just ends up being a reshuffling of the deck chairs. Or musical chairs depending on your view, lol. That said, anyone faced with that type of decision right now looking for greener pastures somewhere else with all this uncertainty (no matter where they live), may be disappointed since most of the rest of us in America are also in the same boat right now...

Old 04-18-2020, 06:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I looked at it very seriously in the early 90s. Palo Alto or close. Beats the heck out of virtually anywhere. Had friends including some of my prior direct reports who went there. And loved it. Would have had to keep working to go there and that turned out to be the driver of not doing it.
Friend of mine bought a house in PA for $395k in 1996. He was stretching a lot, had to take a roommate for a few years until he got married in 2000. Because they had some money with two incomes and preferred the water they bought a vacation home in Monterey for $400k in 2002 as property prices had plunged due to the dot com bust. We all thought wow he's crazy, how can he sleep at night with two house payments as the Bay Area economy is falling apart.

Fools we were. They held tight and in 2016 sold the Monterey home for $1.5m and then in late 2018 they retired to Florida at 46 after selling the PA home for $2.1m. This couple ended their careers as just mid-level managers. Neither got rich off of options or startup equity, nor did they ever have huge salaries.

This is the allure of California and why homeowners don't leave so much. If you are trying to get on the train now it might be too late and certainly things aren't good as for renters. But how many people are going to retire young with $3m in equity in Las Vegas just by making sure they make all their mortgage payments?

Old 04-18-2020, 07:05 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times
Is California still appreciating? I track my old condo complex and sales prices haven't changed from 2017-2020.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:28 PM

779 posts, read 472,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Is California still appreciating? I track my old condo complex and sales prices haven't changed from 2017-2020.
Then it probably wasn't in a prime location.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Nevada does not have any expertise in transitioning from tourism to a family-friendly city. I can envision Las Vegas as a relief valve for overcrowded Coastal SoCal (L.A. and S.D.), but Clark County would have to become part of California in order to have access to the expertise and capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
No it has not because there has never been any down turn similar to this one. The closest would be the Great Depression, but Nevada was a totally different place than it is now, so that comparison is void.
A referendum to joining California might be in the future!

Old 04-18-2020, 11:29 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Nevada does not have any expertise in transitioning from tourism to a family-friendly city. I can envision Las Vegas as a relief valve for overcrowded Coastal SoCal (L.A. and S.D.), but Clark County would have to become part of California in order to have access to the expertise and capital.

A referendum to joining California might be in the future!
LOL That's never going to happen. If anything, California breaks into two or more states.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:38 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
LOL That's never going to happen. If anything, California breaks into two or more states.
That's not going to happen either, hun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas