Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Spring really let loose over the last 4 days. Our entry Rose Bush and some Mexican poppies which are actually already past peak...

Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-roses.jpg

Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-mexican-oppies1.jpg

The bad news is that the Roses are so heavy we are going to have to retie that bush and a couple of others this evening. The problem is that less than half the buds have opened so it is going to double again in the next week.

Last edited by lvmensch; 04-27-2020 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 04:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,047 times
Beautiful pictures, LVmensch!

Old 04-27-2020, 04:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Hope you know that the Mexican poppy is next to impossible to get rid of.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Hope you know that the Mexican poppy is next to impossible to get rid of.
That is mostly folklore. We have had ours for something over 25 years. And we control it and move it around and have no problem. When it gets someplace not desired we pull it out and often replant it where we want. Our yard is a hybrid of a sculptured lawn and large patches of local desert stuff. All sorts of desert plants. Everything is controlled because it is all drip irrigated. And even the Mexican Poppies only grow where the drip heads are. We use Star Jasmine and a couple of others to add texture to the desert sections. We also use some of the native brush at the base of our large Mesquite trees.

We even have a golden barrel cactus that my first wife and I acquired as as seedling on a trip to Phoenix 35 years ago and a few months before she died. It is now a couple of feet in diameter. I think I will have to do a clause in our will to make sure it ends up in some nice place for the rest of its existence.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:04 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
I was speaking from experience. My wife and I always laugh out loud about innocent people who planted Mexican poppy without knowing how tenacious that plant can be. It laughs at Round-Up. Congratulations on being able to control it.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I was speaking from experience. My wife and I always laugh out loud about innocent people who planted Mexican poppy without knowing how tenacious that plant can be. It laughs at Round-Up. Congratulations on being able to control it.
I suspect the difference is our watering system. We have something like 200 heads in the front yard. But nothing grows where there is not a head. And we move them and change them on an ongoing basis. It is a hobby thing in itself.

I can see the poppies and a couple of other plants that would be a pain if everything was watered. But with only the areas of the heads watered it is simple to control.

The one bad news is you need to check it all at least every week or you can lose a nice plant. So a walk around check that nothing is wilting or turning brown is required.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:22 PM

395 posts, read 272,699 times
My Las Vegas yard has been going crazy too.
Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-lvrose2.jpg   Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-lvrose1.jpg   Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-lvrose3.jpg   Las Vegas Spring has Sprung-lvrose4.jpg  

Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
All of that rain earlier this month was what it needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas