Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 07:56 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,158 times

Advertisements

It seems to me this would be the biggest achievement of the mayor's tenure if she could get Tesla to build in LV. Heck, would be more than her husband ever did also. However, it would take tax breaks, free land, free stuff, etc... from all kinds of people/donors/municipalities. I wish I wish I wish but not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:05 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
I could not imagine a company the size of Tesla moving here and being able to find 15% of the workforce they need just for manufacturing the cars. Forget the engineers that work there making 300k a year now, why would they want to come to Las Vegas when they can afford CA?
You don't think they can find skilled employees out of a prestigious university like UNLV?

Why wouldn't high income earners want to move here and raise their families in a school district that has an 86% graduation rate?

Old 05-10-2020, 09:57 PM

223 posts, read 156,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
You don't think they can find skilled employees out of a prestigious university like UNLV?

Why wouldn't high income earners want to move here and raise their families in a school district that has an 86% graduation rate?
I’m not sure if that is sarcasm or not, but the reality is LV is one of the least educated cities in the country. True you don’t all employees at a company like Tesla to have a degree for manufacturing but there is no way we have enough skilled labor to support a factory like that. We rank 120th - that’s not going to entice a large company to move here.

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-and...d-cities/6656/

Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Companies, don’t look at people relocating to the new area for them. They look at the existing pool of talent since you have to factor in an attrition rate and pipeline of people to replace them and for future growth. If you have an imbalanced market you end up having to pay more to those workers since they are harder to replace or recruit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/busines...me-prices/amp/

I work for a large e-commerce company and it is hard to find people here in Las Vegas for lower middle to middle jobs that are semi skilled.

I could not imagine a company the size of Tesla moving here and being able to find 15% of the workforce they need just for manufacturing the cars. Forget the engineers that work there making 300k a year now, why would they want to come to Las Vegas when they can afford CA?
I think the threat to move is a credible one. More likely in Sparks rather than LV.

Either way, aren't the points you make the same arguments made a number of years ago before the Gigafactory came to be in Sparks? Yet here we are with the Gigafactory up and running. No reason why a skilled labor force couldn't be set up.

I'm willing to bet a number of people would be willing to relocate to Reno/Sparks or Las Vegas. After all, it's only a 4 hour drive to Sparks and a short plane ride to Vegas so it's not like moving across the country. Lots of housing (cheaper than Fremont and vicinity) and schools being built. Enough other skilled labor could be brought in or trained. Musk has worked with Nevada officials before. And I believe Nevada's business environment is better than California's.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:30 PM

223 posts, read 156,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I think the threat to move is a credible one. More likely in Sparks rather than LV.

Either way, aren't the points you make the same arguments made a number of years ago before the Gigafactory came to be in Sparks? Yet here we are with the Gigafactory up and running. No reason why a skilled labor force couldn't be set up.

I'm willing to bet a number of people would be willing to relocate to Reno/Sparks or Las Vegas. After all, it's only a 4 hour drive to Sparks and a short plane ride to Vegas so it's not like moving across the country. Lots of housing (cheaper than Fremont and vicinity) and schools being built. Enough other skilled labor could be brought in or trained. Musk has worked with Nevada officials before. And I believe Nevada's business environment is better than California's.
Did you happen to see that Reno ranks 63 on that list I posted? That’s a significant difference than LV at 120. You could make a case the that some people will be willing to relocate, especially for manufacturing jobs, but most of the engineers and high level management would not come if the HQ would be moved here.

If your making 300k - 700k a year and have access to great schools for your family, quality of life and culture, and business networks for other jobs in CA, you move here for Tesla and now your stuck if you ever want to change jobs and your kids are going to lesser quality schools?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure if that is sarcasm or not, but the reality is LV is one of the least educated cities in the country. True you don’t all employees at a company like Tesla to have a degree for manufacturing but there is no way we have enough skilled labor to support a factory like that. We rank 120th - that’s not going to entice a large company to move here.

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-and...d-cities/6656/
Maybe we could find them in our private schools...

... nevermind.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:03 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Gee why doesn't Google or Facebook move too? I mean some people here think all people should care about is their tax rate or how much a house costs.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:05 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Did you happen to see that Reno ranks 63 on that list I posted? That’s a significant difference than LV at 120. You could make a case the that some people will be willing to relocate, especially for manufacturing jobs, but most of the engineers and high level management would not come if the HQ would be moved here.

If your making 300k - 700k a year and have access to great schools for your family, quality of life and culture, and business networks for other jobs in CA, you move here for Tesla and now your stuck if you ever want to change jobs and your kids are going to lesser quality schools?
Did you see my second sentence?

I tend to think that Austin is more likely but again I say a Nevada threat is credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Gee why doesn't Google or Facebook move too? I mean some people here think all people should care about is their tax rate or how much a house costs.
Yeah, I guess clean air and less traffic doesn't count...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 05-11-2020 at 12:14 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Don't forget about the weather. We are sunny for almost 300 days each year! No mowing grass, no shoveling snow!

Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
High tax rates are not going to be a big factor, as these companies have well-paid tax consultants to lessen the burden.

When I lived in high tax MN, 3M threatened at one time to move to Sacramento, even bought a large parcel of land there, but that was decades ago and they're still in the Minneapolis area, along with a number of other Fortune 500 companies like General Mills, Medtronics and Cargill. You'd think the bigger reason was the climate, but not so.

Corrupt Chicago was able to hoodwink Boeing corporate headquarters into relocating from Seattle to Chicago, and it should be a no-brainer as to how that was achieved. When Sears threatened to leave downtown Chicago for the suburbs, years ago, Mayor Daley asked them what could he do to keep them in the Loop. Sears said they wanted 2 square blocks of land in downtown. with the street closed off in-between the blocks. Mayor Daley: consider it done! And up went the Sears Tower!

So you can well imagine what it would take to lure Tesla to LV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas